Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Deer Camp Trailer - Trash to Treasure

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

My husband and his brother recently bought 2 trailers to refurbish for our deer lease. These trailers had suffered quite a bit of damage from Hurricane Ike and the fellas that owned them had bought newer trailers to camp in this year.

When I first saw these trailers, earlier this summer, I must admit I had my doubts about how much work would be involved in getting them back into shape. Both trailers had small kitchens and sleeping quarters, along with bathrooms. But looking inside them both, I thought to myself, I sure wouldn't want to sleep in either of them.

I left for a month and went to Virginia to stay with my Mom. While I was gone the guys bought the trailers and gutted them. They took no photos so I can't show you what it looked like before I got back. I've been taking photos as the work has progressed. Since there are two of us, our trailer has progressed more rapidly than my brother in law's. In addition to that, Robbin (My BIL) has spent more time in the field getting his hunting areas ready.

This is our second year on this lease. Last year, the guys slept in a canopy type tent. The frame of it was originally a carport type structure. They put several tarps over the structure and it was quite roomy. Unfortunately, the same hurricane that damaged these trailers lifted that canopy tent and the whole camping area they were in was pretty much trashed.

It should be mentioned that these guys are serious about their hunting. Many of the guys on this lease spend more time staying up late drinking and telling "deer lies". Rick (my hubby) and Robbin (BIL) much prefer to get to bed early and get out in the field early, so have set up camp away from the main camp.

There is one "new guy" that both guys work with that has joined the lease this year. He's a home builder and has bought a brand new 2010 trailer that is 28 ft. with pop out sides. He is still working on getting it "outfitted" with linens, etc. and hasn't moved in yet. He wants to have a well drilled so we'll have running water.

Oh ... if the guys only knew this before they gutted these trailers. Unfortunately, they've already removed all the plumbing.

Hubby and I have stayed 3 different times and enjoy it more each time. Originally we planned on using the futon with a futon mattress. Hubby slept on the futon last year. When the hurricane blew threw, the mattress got ruined and we hadn't gotten around to getting a new one. We sleep on a King Size bed and I really wasn't looking forward to giving up 2/3 of my side (he sleeps all over the bed, so I knew that would happen). We have 2 air mattresses. One is a regular full size, the other is 2 twin mattresses that zip together to make one TALL Twin when folded together, or a King Size. I picked the wrong one to take that first time, but it's turned out to be perfect. It took me until the second trip to realize that the 2 zipped together as a King fit perfectly on that futon, as long as the mattresses were turned sideways. We've decided to leave it that way and not bother with the futon mattress (to make a sofa when not a bed).

As I said before, I've tried to "document" the progress that's been made and have created a slide show of the photos. I hope you'll enjoy seeing our "trash to treasure" trailers. It's still got some things to be taken care of, but is quite comfortable, as is now.

We've always been "primitive" campers in the past.

http://uniquetreasures.phanfare.com/4249504#imageID=77079807

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

In addition to this project, we've been busy building blinds, etc.

This is the 5 X 5 two person blind.
http://uniquetreasures.phanfare.com/4278904#imageID=78281708

Hubby's had this wild idea of making an octagonal blind for several years. It's a work in progress. Personally, I think this design would work wonderful for a shower for the camp, if the walls were raised a bit and mosquito netting placed in the open areas.

http://uniquetreasures.phanfare.com/4315012#imageID=79922547

Janet

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Looks like y'all are in for a high class hunting season! Hubby and I have gutted and remodeled our fair share of deer camp trailers and shacks. Fortunately, after we built our house out in the country, we found a wonderful camp that's only four miles from home so now we just stay at the house. We've done what your hubby is doing and I can vouch for the fact that it's a lot of work but it's well worth it. I'm sure y'all will really enjoy your new digs. Keep us posted on his progress.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

We're really looking forward to hunting season this year. I've been a few times with him to deer hunt. I just don't think I could actually look one in the eye and shoot it. Especially since I've come to "know" them via the trail cameras. I'll be sitting there with my Sony though. 8*)

Rick worked on the "Octoblind" today. He added roof panels and also put the top wall sections on. He took off the lower sections, put on liquid nails, and then put them back and stapled them. We were talking just a bit ago about what kind of camoflage to put on it. We're going to prime it, then use "great stuff" insulation (you've seen that stuff that comes in a high pressure can like whipped cream) to paint our trees, etc. When painted, it will have a 3D effect. I think it's ingenious! Rick made a comment that there are no right angles in the woods. If this technique is done on the seams of the walls, there will definitely be no right angles on this octoblind. He's going to use Plexiglass on the windows so he can lower just the ones that the wind is "howling" through, yet still be able to see out.

I'll try to get some photos tomorrow. I didn't think about it until it was already dark.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Neat! I'd love to see pictures of the blind--sounds like it will be a real winner. I started out "hunting" with my camera too. I finally decided to give it a try with a gun. The first few times were real difficult. The hunt that finally changed my mind about hunting was when we were in a club that was badly overpopulated with deer. I was sitting in a stand and watched a doe and her twin fawns pass by--they were skin and bones. There was a browse line throughout the woods and the deer were in terrible shape. The biologists told us we needed to do some serious thinning. It took about four years to bring things into control and it made a major difference in the appearance of our deer. I've been a believer in hunting ever since. It's really sad to watch what can happen to a deer herd when there are no controls on them. But, I understand it's not for everyone. My daughter just can't bring herself to hunt either.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks so much for your insight on getting up the nerve to hunt with a gun. It makes a lot of sense when put that way.

Well, this morning I got out the Great Stuff and the primer and got busy. You know how they say Hind Sight is 20/20? Well that is so true in this case.

I thought since the foam would need to be primed, that I should do that first. I was so proud of my "texturing".

Edited to add: I updated the slide show. To see from where I left off the other day, click here and then DOUBLE CLICK on the photo, and then click on the PLAY button.
http://uniquetreasures.phanfare.com/4315012#imageID=80364860

Otherwise, if you click on Start Slide Show at this point, it starts back over.

This message was edited Sep 8, 2009 3:41 PM

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

The whole time I was doing this, I was thinking of pine tree branches.

I used this shirt as my inspiration.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I used a Whizzy (little roller) to apply the primer and it was difficult to get in between the lines of foam. I should have primed the whole thing first. THEN applied the foam and primed it afterward.

This would be wonderful if we had snow here! HAHAHAHA

I can't wait to get some paint on it. I had to leave to pick up and deliver materials for hubby. Then it started to rain. Hopefully we can get some paint on here this evening and I'll post more photos when we do.

Janet

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Wow! That's a nice blind. Your hubby did a real nice job building it. I like your paint job so far too. Glad you didn't decide to create a kudzu look--the deer would have been trying to make lunch of it, LOL! I remember my hubby doing all his projects out in the yard too. We built a shop when we built our new house 5 years ago. I like to refinish old furniture so I use it too :-} So when do y'all plan to put the blind out on your lease and try it out?

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

If we can get the floor built, finish the painting, and figure out the windows (most likely Plexiglas) ... this weekend.

I was informed tonight that some tile guys were coming tomorrow morning to put tile in the kitchen. So I'll be in there all day with them and not get any painting done.

We've already got 2 blinds out there, plus my brother in law has 2 also. They've got 5 tripods or ladder stands between them. We've thought about setting up a feeder in the camp and setting this blind up in the cam area. It would make an excellent "observation" blind. When he started this project, he had already decided it would just be a bonus blind if we can get it finished by this weekend.

We've got a little building out back that he stores lumber, etc. in. Afterall, he is a carpenter and ends up with quite a bit of leftover materials. But he has no real shop to work in. It's always been something he's needed, but there just isn't any space for one here.

We're trying to find another house, someplace in the country, with lots of space. When we find it, we'll finish the remodel on this one and rent it out to pay the notes on the new one. This one is already paid for.

Janet

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

The camp we're in allows each member to claim one ridge for their own--no one else can hunt it. We love it--saw deer all the way up till the last day last year. We cleaned out all the logging turnarounds and made food plots and we keep adding stands as we find the "good spots." The camp also has about 10 ridges that are kept open (nobody can claim them) and anyone can hunt them. We just love our hunting :-}
Sounds like y'all have a real nice set-up at your lease. Do the guys get lots of deer? When your hubby gets the new blind set up, it sounds like it will be a good place for you to sit with your camera.
Y'all will love it if you can find a house out in the country. We found 11 1/2 acres about 10 miles outside Vicksburg. We built our house ourselves so we could have it just like we want it (hubby was an engineer but did carpenter work on the side for many years). He did most of the carpenter work and I did most of the finish work and several friends helped out. We just love it out here. It's quiet and all the neighbors are wonderful. Hope y'all find just the right house for yourselves.

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

WOW! Very nice work! Lots of hard work went into those! Can't wait to see it finished.
P.S.
Love all your coleus too!

This message was edited Sep 9, 2009 3:12 PM

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Sounds like you all have a great place to hunt also. And I envy you getting the house of your dreams built, just the way you wanted it.

Last year was their first year on this lease. They got in at the "nth" hour and they saw plenty of deer and wild hogs. We've had cameras set up all year long and have a good idea of their habits now.

We're looking forward to the coming season.

Thanks Linda! We've worked hard and will definitely enjoy the fruits of our labors this year and hopefully for many years to come.

The coleus have always been some of my favorite plants. This year, they've been few and those I have had have turned muddy in color. The heat has been really hard on them. Being gone for a whole month didn't help any, but I did have the kids next door coming over to water for me. I don't imagine though they spent much time "visiting" with them like I have always done... admiring them... praising them for their beautiful colors. I'm not going to worry about it though. There are too many other irons in the fire at this time.

Janet

Here are a few of my coleus in with the brugs! They are in full sun, and they did wonderful this year! 60 + days of 100+ temps!

Thumbnail by taters55

And one more!

Thumbnail by taters55
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh Linda! Those are so lush and colorful!!! What a beautiful collection. I love your angels too.

Thanks!

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

We're looking forward to the coming hunting season too. We've done a lot of work already but still need to get food plots done. Always sooo much to do! Do y'all process your own meat? We don't have hogs in our hunting area although there are plenty in other parts of Mississippi. We used to see them when we hunted at Panther Swamp--they grow pretty big there.
I love coleus too but I've never had the nerve to grow them in the sun. I really thought it would be too hot for them but if y'all can grow them in the sun down in Texas then surly I can here! You both have pretty coleus. All my fall flowers are blooming now and the butterflies are just loving them.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

We do process our own, but don't make sausage. We have another fella that always gives us a bunch of it and our freezer is only so big.

We find that the little piglets are extremely tender and tasty. My hubby had an incredible experience one year and shot 3 with 3 shots in about 3 seconds. It was like John Wayne to hear him tell about it! HAHAHA

We tried to get the first coat of paint on tonight. It rained heavily yesterday and I've been gone most of today, so after dinner we looked to see what colors we had. Had to mix 2 different greens (cheap oops paint) to get a really drab color. I brushed (cut) into the foam lines while hubby whizzed the in betweens. We kept watching the sky because it was really getting dark with rain clouds. Finally had to go get the roof from the back yard. Then put a tarp over that. We had to laugh because that tarp wasn't much bigger than the actual roof. Fortunately, we didn't get a deluge of rain. Also fortunately, just in case, we are NOT painting this one in the driveway like we did the last one. Otherwise, had the rain really come down and the paint run off, we'd have had a green driveway! HAHAHA Doesn't look like any is running out there now, so tomorrow...
if it doesn't rain, I'll finish that green and then start on a brown...
if it DOES rain (which hubby said it's suppose to do) I'll be making the curtains for the 5 X 5 blind, and for this one as well.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

When my youngest daughter got married, I decorated the back yard with coleus. I had about 125-150 different coleus in pots at that time. (what can I say? I'm obsessive and most were cuttings from DG friends) She's more of a tom boy than a princess, and she absolutely loved that it wasn't really flowery.

That is very pretty!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks. It made for a beautiful backyard wedding.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Y'all had a time getting that blind painted! Hope it turned out just right. When does hunting season open for you? We don't open until Oct 1 (bow). I won't be able to bow hunt this year because I had rotator cuff surgery in late June. He's cleared me for gun and muzzleloader though :-} I'll just go out during bow season with my camera while hubby hunts.
I've always heard the piglets are the best for eating. I've had bbq'd pig but it was a full grown boar and he was a little on the chewy side.
Your yard was beautiful for your daughters wedding. I'm not the frilly type either and neither is my daughter or her little girl who is ten. Guess tom boy runs in our family, LOL.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm sorry to hear about your rotator cuff. I've known several people that have had this surgery lately. One of the guys that works with my hubby has a son that had the same type of surgery last weekend and he said the doctor told him it was the worst case he's ever seen. I really hope you can have a complete and full recovery from this and enjoy hunting once again.

Our Bow Season starts the first of October here. Rick has been bow hunting for quite a few years. His brother, Robbin is fairly new to bow hunting. He's been shooting in his back yard for several weeks now. Shot a couple of "Robin Hoods" he's rather proud of.

We spent the weekend at the lease again. Weather Forecast was 90% chance of rain most of the weekend. We decided we could sit around here and be bored, or go up there and get some stuff done.

Throughout the weekend, it drizzled off and on. We got to try out the new Frog Toggs. They are papery, but kept us dry very well. I've heard they are noisier than the usual rain gear. We did a considerable amount of walking and I'm undecided on them at this point because it never did rain hard enough to give them a through testing.

We got quite a bit done on the trailer. We bleached the shower ... "re-squared" the door that covers the back compartment ... ran 220 (2 110 lines) electrical from the generator to the trailer... installed 2 boxes of outlets with 2 GFCI plugs, one for each side of the trailer... put down linoleum in front of the door and over both wheel covers ... bleached the borrowed plastic Adirondack chairs... burned the excess trash from the tear outs.

In addition, we went out to the field and installed the new curtains I made on Friday. They work wonderfully. You can see out very well, but you can't see inside of the blind. I made a set for the 5 X 5 blind and also a set for the Octoblind. (No more painting on the Octoblind this weekend) We also put up some camo fabric around one of the tree stands that the guys set up last weekend.

We then went to the first blind, to check on the camera there. Got back to the trailer with the SD Card and there were 152 movies and still shots in a week's time. We saw 2 bucks on the photos and at least 2 does, one with a fawn, and 2 raccoons. This is the first time we've seen any bucks on this camera. Needless to say, Rick and I both are quite excited to see these guys.

I took quite a few photos this weekend. If you double click on the main photos these links, then hit play, you can continue from previous shows without having to watch the whole things.

http://uniquetreasures.phanfare.com/4249504#imageID=-80774155

http://uniquetreasures.phanfare.com/4278904#imageID=-79530457

This photo shows our king size bed!

LOL! SOunds like you were just a little on the busy side this week-end! Thanks for the new pictures!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, it's getting closer to completion.

I started out this morning with a half paint green octoblind. We had to stop painting the other evening when it began to rain. I finished painting the green. And then started on the darker brown on the branches. Then painted the khaki color between the branches. At that point, an email from Mom came in and I listened to Amazing Grace all the way through while continuing to paint.

It wasn't too much longer when my Blackberry dropped out of my pouch into the almost gone gallon of paint. I said quite a few unladylike words. Then scrambled to get the thing out of the "protective cover" and cleaned up. After I'd cleaned off the majority of the paint, I removed the protective screen cover and wiped on it some more. Then I came inside and got the box of Q-tips to clean out the plug in parts. That didn't work work a flip, so I hooked up the air nozzle on the air compressor and blew the devil out of it. By this time, I'd already taken the back cover off and the battery out too. I was amazed at how much paint got into the plug ports. It blew in a bit under the screen on the edges. Made it look like finger prints. I blew and blew and blew until 99% of it was out of the phone. I put the battery back in and said a prayer. I fired it up and it worked..... for the most part. The camera still works... all my stuff is still there.... but when I called Rick to test it out, he could barely hear me. Well that won't work. I could have done without other things, but folks have got to hear me! So he asked me if I got insurance on it. I wasn't sure, so I called Verizon and they said no. GRRRRRRRRRR Well, Rick's phone is almost due for an upgrade, so for $49.99 I can get a new Blackberry on his line, and then transfer the service to my line. I had to sign up for email and web service again, but will cancel mine when the new one arrives. What a morning!!!

So, we've got khaki paint on now and it's time for some pine branches. I got out the same green we used on the other blind and a skinny paint brush and went to town on the pine branches. I took photos as I went along (with the exception of the Blackberry incident), and have added them to the slide show.

To start from the beginning.... http://www.uniquetreasures.phanfare.com/4315012#imageID=79922547

To start from where the show left off ..... http://www.uniquetreasures.phanfare.com/4315012#imageID=-80887575 double click on the photo and THEN on the play button.

On top of all of that, I tried emailing something earlier and Lightning (My main computer) shut down on me 3 different times. Then I went to share an email and had NO CONTACTS on there. As Gilda Radner would say, "It's always something!"

Janet

This message was edited Sep 14, 2009 9:17 PM

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I've added a few more colors to darken up the OctoBlind. Used my hammered metal paints and then used a flat black over that. The sky is darkening, even as I type. We're supposed to have only a 30% chance of rain today. I am counting on the 70% chance it WON'T rain!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Now I get to play with the inside some. I've already made curtains for this blind that will hide anything when closed, but still give a great view. But when the curtains are opened, we'll want the inside to be dark.

Here it is from a distance. Sure wish it was already out in the field so I could see how well it blends with the pine trees out there.

That is really looking nice! Don't forget the roof!
Great job!

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Wow! Y'all are starting to get that camper looking like a first class joint! I just know you're going to enjoy it this season. Nice to see bucks on your trail cam. Was he a nice one? Bummer on that Blackberry :-{ You might try the trick I told my daughter to use for my 14-year-old grandson--if it's going to be used outside just to listen to music etc., slip it into a Zip Lock. Works great at keeping it protected from the elements and paint :-} You wouldn't believe some of the stuff he has put his cell phone through! Our bow season starts up on Oct 1 too. We still have so much work to do but it won't quit raining :-{ Unless it's just an absolute gully washer this weekend, we plan to take the grandson and go over to put up a tripod and a box stand. After that we hope to get the tractor over there to start getting food plots ready.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Ohhhhhh to have a tractor..... sigh.... We made a tiller of sorts out of a gate (chain link) and a 2 by 4 with nails driven into it. Attached a chain and RODE it behind the 4 wheeler. Hubby wasn't impressed with it, but I thought it worked pretty dern good!

As for the buck, he was quite handsome! HAHAHAHA

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.