Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Winter Sowing: Do Fall Sew?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 19, Views: 261
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2009
10:27 AM

Post #7031333

I start next year's biennals in July-August for fall planting but I was wondering if anyone sewed other things in the fall...besides their fall veggies.

P
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2009
12:03 PM

Post #7031457

Yes, lots of people do. For me in my climate, I have to start earlier to get things in the ground before the soil freezes. I have a few jugs, sown in the normal WS method, that were sown around late July. I've kept them in mostly shade, with just a little morning sun, to keep them from frying. I hope to plant them out in fall. But first, I have to yank annuals and some perennials, divide or move others. My beds are such jungles it seems an impossible task at this point. And we've had no rain in weeks, maybe a month, so digging in my clay is like digging rock.

Karen
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2009
9:56 AM

Post #7035209

I generaly just start the bi's in the summer for fall planting but I have so many perennial seeds I bought late last winter ,spring and then caught some June sales so now I have so many seeds I didn't want to be overwhelmed w/ winter sewing all of them. What are some of the perennials you sew now?

We had an unusual ammount of rain this year. Summer was a wet one so I understand about the impossible task of cleaning weedy beds. I started a week ago and I can hardly tell a difference it's such a jungle out there.I have tons of plants from WS and early spring sewings to get out but I have to make room for them.Vines of all sorts have taken over and not desirable types either.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2009
12:47 PM

Post #7035431

Mine aren't even weeds, it's all wall-to-wall flowers. No easy task to clear something like this. I have 3 island beds similarly stuffed, a couple of small borders on the sides of the yard, and a border next to the house on all 4 sides.

I started just a few jugs this summer - delosperma, penstemon, rudbeckia hirta, and lobelia cardinalis. As you can see from my picture, I already am stuffed full of plants.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2009
10:44 AM

Post #7039501

Karen,
That just lovely.
I'm trying to fill my beds so there's no room for weeds but the weeds alway manage to rear their ugly heads. I had my shade beds on the west side of the property line almost full then the neighbors cut down a big oak in their yard that supplied about 50% on the shade and a lot of the plants in the bed fried so it's back to the drawing board on that bed.

I have some more digitalis seeds and I'm on the 3 rd try with penstemon "Chocolate Drop" seeds. I don't know what the trick is with this varity. I've grown 7-8-9-? var. of penstemon from seed and CD is one of the very few I've had trouble with. Maybe sewing them now would do the trick.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2009
11:34 AM

Post #7039551

According to Clothier "P. whippleanus , Humiles ,( 3 ), Surface sow 8 wks @ 40F (4C), move to 70F (20C) for germ. in light ,( 20x6 ), herbaceous , Violet , alpine "

Karen
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2009
11:15 AM

Post #7043352

kq, are you starting perennial and biennial seed now??

Maybe I should get going on some. Digitalis, lobelia, penstemons, etc.

I thought i was too late. LMK thanks. t.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2009
11:44 AM

Post #7043392

t: Not digitalis, I started some of those last winter. They've been in the ground since early spring and are now big basal plants which should first bloom next spring.

I did start a few new rudbeckia, penstemon, lobelia cardinalis, at the very end of July. Most of the penstemons disappeared the same day that I found a caterpillar in the rud jug eating away. Apparently the cat visited the penstemon before moving on to the ruds. I have just a few penstemon left. I'm in the process of clearing the jungles in my flower beds so hopefully it won't be too long until I can plant out the new seedlings. (Of course, I've spent a week and haven't finished clearing even one bed. I'm yanking annuals, transplanting perennials... lots of work involved).

Karen
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

September 10, 2009
3:33 AM

Post #7046387

I have started 3 or 4 kinds of foxglove this summer; right now I have hollyhock seedlings of various kinds, and two or three kinds of agastache. I am growing seedlings of 2 of my prettiest
Shasta daisies and a new one- Double Polaris. I bought those seeds on ebay, and I certainly hope the are indeed double. I have Canterbury bells and some sweet William to put out as
well as lupines. I do have things I want to start over the winter, but I will have to make more
cardboard/compost/mulch beds for the spring. It's nice to be able to use seeds from last year's
winter sowing plants.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2009
10:32 AM

Post #7046817

Just remembered- I have a jug of delosperma started too, ready to plant out.

Karen
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2009
10:38 AM

Post #7046824

I have so many plants from last WS that I haven't gotten planted out yet...but I'm working on it. Don't even talked to about all the seeds I never got sewn.

I'm excited about the silenes Purple Prince and Graham's Delight I grew from WS. I'm planting some out in the next few weeks and can't wait for next spring to see them in their glory. PP has held some of it's purple coloring but GD reverted back to green with our summer heat.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2009
1:48 PM

Post #7047200

OK. Thanks I guess I'm a little late to try to get seedlings to plant before winter sets in.

I don't know why I am such a procrastinator!
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

September 10, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #7048470

Really, tobasco, what do you have to lose? You would only want a few of most plants, and it just might work? Seeds are not that expensive generally. And think of how nice it would be if it did work.
capecod88
Barnstable, MA

September 10, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #7048566

I have quite a few Columbine plants that were started too late this year and so are still small. They are in 6 paks and I don't
expect them to be large enough to plant out before frost. Any suggestions on how to get them through the winter?
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

September 10, 2009
9:02 PM

Post #7048734

capecod, I would put them in the ground right away. Columbines are very sturdy. Anyway, what
is your alternative? They would be hardened off in a couple of weeks, and I'll bet most of them
will make it.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #7049174

gloriag, you are very optimistic! and encouraging. I will try some of my aquilegia and see what happens! t.
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

September 10, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #7049231

Also, it there is a light frost predicted, you can use ReMay (cheap. light non-woven cloth) which
gives you 6 degrees of protection. That should extend the season somewhat.
capecod88
Barnstable, MA

September 11, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #7051782

Gloriag, you are right of course. Reading your post I remembered once having 2 prized primroses still in pots late in the season.
So I planted them right in the pots and they were fine, put them in the ground in spring. Don't know how many people plant in
6 paks but I'm going to. At least I'll be able to find them in spring. Haven't heard of Remay but I will check it out. Thanks

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #7134797

I really should do Hollyhocks over the summer, but i keep forgetting.
This year i did 3 containers of Butterfly Weed, hopefully they will bloom next season. Just got them planted today.
Though i'm taking on jug north to my summer place... wont get them in the ground til next week.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2009
11:35 PM

Post #7134930

No need to protect columbine from frost, they are perennial.

I wouldn't plant the six packs because it will limit root growth too much. I'd plant them directly in the ground.

Karen

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America