Costus Gingers Hardiness

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Anyone here grow the Costus in zone 8? I'd like to know if it would be safe to put in the ground.

X

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

http://www.floridata.com/ref/C/cost_spe.cfm

costus specious will die back and return in your area

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

Kenboy should know the answer to that one..lol..he grows alot of costus gingers up in north part of Texas...lol..along w other gingers..

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Well I got them from Ken so I guess it's ok. Was checking in plant files and some said yes and other said no.

Thanks!!!!

X

Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

I would not send you a plant that would not make it in your zone. I want people to enjoy plants I send them in trades so that they will want to trade again someday.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I finally got my front bed cleared out, had day lily, roses and blackberry lily in it and my brother hauled over 20 bags of top soil yesterday and we dumped it in the newly cleared bed. This morning I planted all the Curcuma I got from Ken. They had been in pots all summer. I wanted to make sure they had really good roots before planting in the ground. I have 2 Costus, one Ken sent me and another that piggybacked on some crinum that someone sent me. Not being familiar with it, I wasn't sure about the Costus.

I just wish I could grow Alpinia, but was told it flowers on "old wood" so since they die back in winter, I'd never get blooms.

I'll be knocking on your door soon Ken for another trade.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

I'll be ready.

Mc Call Creek, MS

I don't know about all costus, but costus barbatus will not bloom if it is allowed to freeze. Consequently, I've always grown mine in pots and greenhoused them in winter, so I'm not even sure that the plant will come back after a freeze. (Zone 8a/b)

Cool! that looks real good!!..I am glad ya got a ginger bed...LOL

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I have a big ginger bed in the back yard .. hedychiums and curcuma and thanks to Ken, Costus for next year .. I'm just getting too old for high maintenance stuff so I've been totally revamping my garden front and back to make it easier to maintain.

X

That is all I have here..low maintenance plants..I dont bother with too much during the winter either..

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.