Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Late Blight (Phytophthora infestans) Fungus of Tomatoes: Blight

Communities > Forums > Article: Late Blight (Phytophthora infestans) Fungus of Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: Article: Late Blight (Phytophthora infestans) Fungus of TomatoesReplies: 1, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Delaware
Newark, DE

September 6, 2009
9:51 PM

Post #7033511

This is exactly what our tomatoes have. And I was feeling so confident about our crop- and found only one hornworm all summer. Maybe the hornworms knew something I didn't. If we throw out the remaining plants and tomatos, can we safely grow new tomatoes in the same place next year?
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2009
10:28 PM

Post #7037629

Delaware, research I've come across says the fungus cannot overwinter in soils here in the northeast. Our winters are usually cold enough that pathogens rarely survive into spring. However, if you happen to miss an infected fruit or tuber during fall cleanup, it is possible that, given a mild winter, Phytophthora infestans will survive in the soil. My recommendation is to always rotate your crops. Do not grow tomatoes in the same area next year. That rule is not set in stone, my brother in Kentucky always adds plenty of compost and organic material to his tomato patch at the end of the season and grows tomatoes in the same spot each year without incident. But he only grows three or four plants. Good practices for planting tomatoes include soil preparation, proper spacing that allows good air circulation, staking or caging, and mulching.

Good luck.

TC

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Late Blight (Phytophthora infestans) Fungus of Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
good reading! onewish1 12 Sep 7, 2009 3:59 PM
The N. E. for June, July and August? carrielamont 6 Sep 6, 2009 6:08 PM
Thanks for the article, but... Igrowinpa 15 Sep 8, 2009 2:16 PM
I suspected... Sundownr 1 Sep 4, 2009 12:54 PM
Great Article lovelyiris 1 Sep 7, 2009 10:19 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America