Photo by Melody

Article: St. Fiacre, Patron Saint of Gardeners: Great article!

Communities > Forums > Article: St. Fiacre, Patron Saint of Gardeners
bookmark
Forum: Article: St. Fiacre, Patron Saint of GardenersReplies: 16, Views: 114
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2009
11:01 AM

Post #7035255

Thank you for this nice article about St Fiacre. I have a garden statue of him and I always like toknow more about him. What is the English pronunciation of his name?

Thanks, Lou
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 7, 2009
11:28 AM

Post #7035290

I enjoyed this article very much.

Incidentally in Austria a horse and carriage for hire is called a 'Fiaker'.

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2009
12:15 PM

Post #7035356

Dispatcher1, I think we Americans see the word "acre" in there so we want to pronounce it fee-ay-ker. I looked up a little history about the name. In Ireland the name is spelled with an "a" at the end: Fiachra. It's apparently an ancient Irish name--I'm not sure how it's pronounced there. Perhaps an Irish reader can set us straight? But since the French also have some ownership of this saint, his name is now mostly spelled "Fiacre" and pronounced "Fee-ah-krah", with the emphasis on the middle syllable. Our word "acre" is from an Ango-Saxon word, so apparently there's no connection there.

Dutchlady, it's interesting that the usage of the carriage name spread to other countries too. Thanks for reading!
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

September 7, 2009
1:06 PM

Post #7035495

Gwen: Thank you for this most interesting article. I'd love to incorporate a small statue of St. Fiacre in my garden.

Dispatcher, where did you get yours?

Angie
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2009
1:15 PM

Post #7035520

Gwen: Such an interesting article! I've always been intrigued by St. Francis & St. Fiacre statues, but didn't know alot of their history. Thanks for sharing this information. =)
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

September 7, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #7035793

I've had a statue of St. Fiacre gracing my garden for many years, but had not learned the details of his sainthood. I enjoyed learning the story behind this cherished part of my garden. Thank you! =)
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 7, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #7035892

I have a statue of St. Fiacre in my garden as well. It's one of those resin copies of an original, I assume. At the base of it, the inscription with the name is there, but the "a" looks like a "d" because it's written in old fashioned script...thus, I always thought it said "St. Fidcre".
I scoured books on saints and could never find a St. Fidcre so I came to the conclusion that he must be one of those saints that got pulled off the "master list" after Vatican ll when (supposedly) records of said saints couldn't be found any longer.

Then one day I heard an herbalist on a radio program refer to him as Fiacre...so it made much more sense.

Great article !!!

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #7035937

Sounds like St. Fiacre's watchfulness is part of the bliss in your garden : )
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 7, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #7036005

It's easy to see how people could confuse him with St. Francis since they both are traditionally depicted in a monks habit and so many statues of saints don't have their names inscribed on them ! The shovel is what threw me for a loop as I'd never seen St. Francis with tools !
puckspop
Derry, NH

September 7, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #7036254

Thanks for the lesson. I had never heard of St. Fiacre and am intrigued by your description and history.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

September 7, 2009
6:59 PM

Post #7036905

So where did y'all find your statues, Jasper and BG?

Angie
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 8, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #7038426

My sister gave it to me. She got it at a swap meet/flea market somewhere in rural Vermont.
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 8, 2009
12:30 PM

Post #7039678

I bought mine at a shop that sold all types of concrete statuary. They said it was St Francis, but I knew it probably wasn't him. So I looked it up on google and found out who he was and a little bit of history about him. I think he watches over the plants and St Francis looks out for all our backyard critters. LOu
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

September 8, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #7040326

Thank you, everyone, who responded. I'll start checking out my local statuary places.

Angie
lortay
Navan
Ireland

September 24, 2009
3:20 PM

Post #7099398

Hi all,
The way Fiacre is pronounced is pretty much as Gwen has explained. In our part of Ireland, at least, there is actually no stress (or all 3 syllables are the same): Fi-ak-re but this (and the a/e on the end) probably varies even in a small country like Ireland. Such is diversity!
hortacus
Costa Mesa, CA

August 14, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9241110

Where can I buy a statue of St Fiarce?

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9241204

Thanks, Dispatcher! Fiacre is pronounced "Fee-ah-krah". Read down through this thread for more neat info from readers near and far.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: St. Fiacre, Patron Saint of Gardeners Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Looking forward to future articles lilianrose 4 Sep 7, 2009 4:36 PM
Mysogynist or not? Fiacre is a character tabasco 5 Sep 8, 2009 5:30 PM
Enjoyed the article. shellsnarow 3 Sep 24, 2009 3:21 PM
Picture dispatcher1 1 Sep 24, 2009 3:07 PM
Saint Fiacre patoboyle 3 Sep 24, 2009 6:17 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America