Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Some vines of Reunion Island: They have a place in my collection

Communities > Forums > Article: Some vines of Reunion Island
bookmark
Forum: Article: Some vines of Reunion IslandReplies: 9, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Noturf
Marquesas Islands
Polynesia (French)

September 7, 2009
2:09 PM

Post #7035663

Vines and climbers are truly underestimated. I have a few, Clitoria ternatea, Cavalinna maritima, Passiflora edulis, the rare Oerstedii, Ipomoea alba, quamoclit, batata and Allamanda cathartica; they make my garden not only different but unique, since most people have one or two.

In my view, besides the impressive aesthetics of a trellis, wall or any structure covered with the adequate species, privacy, colors, fragrance, fruit, noise reduction, bees, anolis lizards come along with my vines/climbers.

They are easy to care for, and if one gets tired of them, not a big deal to eliminate. This
is not the case with silly hedges, palms, and turf. The three no, nos in my collection.

This, as your previous articles, impressive, informative and really out of the common
predictable threads often showing. Congratulations!
If interested you can check my inventory collection at: http://endemismotrasnochado.blogspot.com/

Thumbnail by Noturf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

September 7, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #7035824

Hi Noturf
Oh yes, vines are a fantastic special touch in garden but they can become pretty invasive, there is this Podranea ricasoliana coming up from the ravine in the back of my garden, anytime a stem touches the ground it roots and is a real pain although flowers are delicious! Ipomoea alba also easily tends to invade, watch it carefully!
Thanks for appreciating so much!
Noturf
Marquesas Islands
Polynesia (French)

September 8, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #7040781

I agree, a real pain. The worst I have, Bejuco de Puerco. Until next...

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

September 9, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #7043761

Bejuco de puerco? If I am right this means pig's kiss, what the hell is this? Let me know if you want some vine seeds, I just harvested Stictocardia beraviensis which is simply stunning.
All the best
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #7044068

JJ, enjoyed your Vine article; you have shown us some vines on Reunion Island that are really beautiful, along with terrific information about them. I usually don't like orange flowers much, but these are gorgeous! What is a Stictocardia vine? Thanks for sharing your knowledge! =)
Noturf: What is a Bejuco di puerco? Is it an invasive vine that is pretty?, or just a horrible ugly vine that creeps in like a weed?--- Except I remember you said before that you don't have weeds, so is it a garden vine?

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

September 10, 2009
2:08 PM

Post #7047262

Petalplants
The Stictocardia is the one on the first picture top right in the article http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1169/ it comes fom Africa and is really gorgeous but very tropical.
Noturf
Marquesas Islands
Polynesia (French)

September 15, 2009
11:44 AM

Post #7066157

Bejuco de Puerco, is a member of the Ipomoeas. If you want to see it go to search
with the name, you will see it. The flowers are pink, round, Pig's Vine is the literal
translation. Bejuco is any tipe of vine. Until then.

Thumbnail by Noturf

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

September 15, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #7066375

Hi
OK, I did search and found out this Ipomoea setifera, nice flowers. Those Ipomoea sure can be real annoyances when they enjoy a place!
Noturf
Marquesas Islands
Polynesia (French)

December 6, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #7342704

Since they prefer to go out the boundaries of their place, they are coming out, and
so are the Wedelias trilobatas.. I am not into the pruning/trimming mode at all, not
a my age, or with these knees. Until then...

Thumbnail by Noturf

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

December 7, 2009
3:02 AM

Post #7343375

I also planted Wedelia in my garden and now have to use pruning shears, large model, to keep them to human size!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Some vines of Reunion Island Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beautiful vines... Sharran 0 Sep 6, 2009 4:50 PM
Wonderful! jannich 1 Sep 7, 2009 2:48 PM
plants perinials montanalady 1 Sep 7, 2009 4:05 PM
beautifull rosemery 1 Sep 7, 2009 5:59 PM
Seeds please santorini 1 Apr 8, 2010 8:46 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America