Photo by Melody

Article: Calanthe - Hardy Orchids for the Woodland Garden: Todd BolandsOrchids

Communities > Forums > Article: Calanthe - Hardy Orchids for the Woodland Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Calanthe - Hardy Orchids for the Woodland GardenReplies: 2, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
picklep
Williamsburg, VA

September 7, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #7035983

How much light do they need ( I have areas in my garden where hostas do well) however in the summer some of these areas when shaded with leaves are quite dark. Where could I buy these orchids, and how can I keep the voles away from them
macsie
Greenbush, MI
(Zone 4b)

September 7, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #7036668

Todd,

I recently received some seeds from a friend in France. She claims she found the plants while walking in the woods. She called them Gymndenia canadense, a terrestial orchid. I grow orchids indoors, so I have no knowledge of this and I'm asking for your help. I live in Lower Northern Michigan where the winter can get quite cold due to the Northeast wind and snow off the lake.

I am interested in attempting to grow these seeds, so I would appreciate your help. If you are interested in any seeds, I have some to spare.

Thanks,
Carol M.
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #7037409

Carol, orchids are difficult from seed...mostly they are germinated in vitro on agar, so I cannot offer much help.

Picklep, if Hosta do well, then Calanthe should be OK...just give them space and humusy soil. Being from Canada, I do not know any US sources, but in Canada, they are available at Fraser Thimble Farms in BC...I think they ship to the US.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Calanthe - Hardy Orchids for the Woodland Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great phicks 0 Sep 5, 2009 4:45 PM
Fascinating! I want some.......... Yuska 1 Sep 5, 2009 8:46 PM
Todd Boland's Orchids arbs 3 Nov 7, 2009 7:09 PM
Wonderful Article! Petalpants 1 Sep 17, 2010 10:24 AM
So Sad-not here CLScott 1 Aug 11, 2012 6:20 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America