Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cooking: One Fall Favorite....stuffed green peppers!

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 28, Views: 185
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
momof2d
Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #7038003

We used a majority of our big green peppers this weekend, stuffed em - meat loaf style, they're oh so good! Oh - and I cant forget ... baked winter squash with butter & brown sugar!!! Yum!
allysgram
Sedalia, MO

September 8, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #7038054

Double Yum. We love stuffed peppers. Buternut squash is good also.
momof2d
Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #7038062

Its that time of the year again!
planolinda
Plano, TX

September 9, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #7045371

love those stuffed peppers--i put rice in with my meat
debi_k
S of Lake Ontario, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2009
10:37 PM

Post #7045380

Mmmm! I grew some petite peppers that I just stuffed with italian sausage mixed with a shredded 4 cheese blend and served on top of rice - mmm, I only have 2 small peppers left and want more!!
planolinda
Plano, TX

September 9, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #7045439

of course it isn't stuffed pepper time here yet--high 90's --but it will come

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2009
9:22 PM

Post #7048777

I love stuffed peppers..For our hot weather, I stuff them with tuna salad, chicken salad, whole kernel corn salad & macaroni salad...They are delicious with so many stuffings.. The baked ones are my favorites..Sometimes I have to have them even when it's hot..Not much cool here in sw GA..We are still also in the 90's..

Larkie

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2009
8:18 AM

Post #7054396

Stuffed peppers are even better if you roast and peel them first.
planolinda
Plano, TX

September 12, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #7055105

i never thought of that! i do boil them a little before stuffing and cooking but never heard of roasting and peeling
i love roasted red peppers so why not green?! the only thing i am not sure of is that when i roast they get pretty soft--do you just bake them a shorter time?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 12, 2009
3:13 PM

Post #7055120

I never thought of that either. Sounds really good!

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #7055136

Linda, you hold the peppers over an open flame and let the skin burn until it's black. Some people then put them in a paper bag to let them steam a little, saying that makes it easier to remove the skin. I have never done that; I just let them cool until they can be handled. Then hold them under cold water, and the skin comes right off.

I always stuffed mine with ground beef and rice with tomato sauce and herbs, and it's been a long time since I've done them (I don't eat meat anymore); but I don't think I cooked them for less time.
planolinda
Plano, TX

September 12, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #7055145

thanks--i have roassted the red peppers with the bag to steam but never the green
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

September 14, 2009
12:05 PM

Post #7062171

You can roast any colour peppers the same over an open flame, then what I do is to put them in a bowl and cover the bowl with cling film.
You can put them under cold water if you are in a rush, but I find this easier.
Then once they have cooled the skin will come off very easily.
Remember to keep the top when you slice it off!
Cut the bottom flat so it stands up and take the seeds out.
I like basmati rice and wild mushrooms with cumin, ginger and saffron.
That is a nice stuffing.
Although my American friend after Christmas uses rice with turkey and cranberry sauce! Whatever next!
Do not overcook them or they will end up like porridge. They just need roasting with the stuffing, until hot, no more.
Regards from England.
Neil.

MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #7062246

washing roasted peppers in water will wash away the flavor. u practically defeat the purpose acquiring flavor by roasting pepper when u wash with water... wrap the roasted pepper in towel paper or damp kitchen towel to take off the burnt skin. jmo

ma vie
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

September 14, 2009
12:51 PM

Post #7062318

I agree but I do not wash them, just put them in a bowl with cling film over them!
Then the skin comes off, so the taste is not gone at all.
The heat off them when they are covered makes the skin very soft, and easy!
Regards.
Neil.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2009
1:08 PM

Post #7062367

i am in total agreement with u Neil, but some people wash roasted pepper with water. i do exactly same procedure u do. other are skirmish, that is why i suggest using paper towel or kitchen towel. i've use both the bowl and saran wrap or paper bag method. no problem taking off burnt skin.

Linda, try using a muffin pan as place holder for stuff pepper. it will hold it's shape.

hth,
ma vie
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

September 14, 2009
1:38 PM

Post #7062466

You can also cover them in foil!
That works over the top of a pyrex glass bowl!
For some reason peppers do not seem to like metal bowls if the peppers are hot, maybe it is just me!
In this rush age, everyone wants things done quickly, I am afraid it does not work as it takes the taste away, so why bother at all.
You may as well eat cardboard!
Regards.
Neil.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #7062529

Exactly!!! i was taught to cook the slow simmering method of cooking. Philippines food are highly influenced by Chinese, Spanish, Dutch and so many other nations, mostly need to be slow cook to achieve the height of their flavor. personally i hardly buy high priced meat to make roast or stew. i mostly buy meat with bones attached to them. i was taught by the elders the meat and skin of some meat is the source of flavor. i always prepare meals 2 days ahead of time, specially the ones with thick sauce. if i have to pay high price for steak, i go for rib eye with the bones attach.

i stir clear from foil. long time ago, i read it is not safe to use with food. i could be wrong, but it does not hurt to avoid any damage to my family's health.

when i use muffin pans, i also line it with muffin paper cups to avoid the pepper from sliding. then empty spaces in the muffin tray, i fill with water to even the cooking process.

i hope we are able to help some of the new home cooks.

cheers,
ma vie

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2009
1:55 PM

Post #7062535

Goodness, to think I've rinsed the skins off all these years and still thought they tasted good! Can't wait to do it by steaming them off since you both agree they taste even better using that method.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #7062549

i guess that is the reason why we are all here. to help each other. after all, we are all human, not expected to know everything!

i am very confident u will like the outcome, for sure!
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

September 14, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #7062949

bivbiv believe me the more patience and time you spend on something the better it will taste!
If you go cooking things at fantastic speed, I am most sorry but you are losing the flavour and goodness.
If you do not grow things yourself, then someone has to put care and attention into doing it, so treat it with a bit of respect no matter what it may be.
Over here in the 1800s, the cotton mill workers had little mill houses. They had no cooking facilities as they worked from 6am till 6pm, with their children.
The local baker worked all night, so the women on a night made a lancashire Hotpot.
This we still have and is easy to make.
You basically need the cheapest cuts of lamb, you can use beef, do not use expensive anything!
Then they used to rub the bottom a a pot with a lid, with butter (you can use oil now). Then by slicing the potato's you make a layer in the bottom, now the fun starts!
You add some meat with carrots and onions, then another layer of potato's and keep going.
A bit like a lasagne! Then of course you can add any herbs you so wish, before the last layer of potato's. you add some stock, about three quarters full.
Make the top pretty with nicely laid potato's.
put the top on and place in a slow oven.
The cotton workers put it in the bakers oven at 5:30 am and it was left in that all day as it cooled down. Then they collected it on their way home from work.
It is still a fantastic meal and you can put any vegetables you want in, but the meat must be cheap, as it simply will not work with goods cuts of meat!
My Grandma used to tell me, the more work a piece of meat does on an animal the better tasting it is!
Then half an hour before it is cooked turn the oven up, take the lid off, and it browns the potato's.
Lovely on a cold night!
Regards.
Neil.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2009
4:35 PM

Post #7063121

That sounds so good that I wish I still ate meat!

I love things that are slow cooked, but I don't like using a crock pot. My husband used to prepare ribs using a recipe that came with our crock pot. We thought they were really delicious until the day I used the same recipe and slow cooked the ribs on the stove. They were so much better that I never again used the crockpot...for anything.
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

September 14, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #7063217

You do not have to use meat at all.
The main ingredient is potato's, then you can add what you want.
My Thirteen year old niece is vegetarian, so I make her a little one.
I of course put potato's in it. then onions, carrots nicely cut and do a layer of thickly cut tomato's, then layer it with more potato's and any other vegetables you have.
Anything that is not going to disintegrate in seconds goes.
Leeks are nice as well.
The secret is to use a vegetable stock with herbs in it to give it a nice flavour.
I put a good dose of lea & Perrins in it, though if you do not like that, a teaspoonful of soy sauce works.
A bit of black pepper, then put the potato's on the top and slowly cook it!
All the flavours and the goodness, keep in the pot.
If you do like cheese then sprinkle some grated cheese over the top when you take the lid off, then brown it!
You can put peppers or whatever you want in it, lovely on a cold night.
Regards.
Neil.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #7063283

But I think it would be better with meat. I don't see why it couldn't be prepared with chicken, though.
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

September 14, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #7063367

I have never tried it with Chicken, but I don't see why not!
As Oscar Wilde said * Education is a very fine thing, but nothing worth knowing can be taught!"
Or as my father says " experience is a catalogue of mistakes."
We all have to learn sometime, let me know how it goes if you try it!
Regards.
Neil.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #7063612

I'll try it for sure, but it won't be for at least a month or two.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2009
7:16 PM

Post #7063618

Btw, I like your father's astute obvervation.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #7063892

Normally, my meat in our peppers is 1/2 ground beef & 1/2 ground sausage...When using no meat, use along with the rice and tomatoes, either chili, kidney or pork & beans for the protein..Usually when using the beans, I prefer the yellow rice to the white.I also add a hand full of cheese (any) to the mixture..

Larkie
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

September 18, 2009
9:57 AM

Post #7076777

I do hope if you are cooking for vegetarians you use vegetarian cheese!
As proper cheese has rennet in it, which is the lining of a cows or calfs stomach.
The enzymes in it break down milk into curds and whey this then can be used to make cheese!
There are natural forms of rennet, which can make vegetarian cheese, but it makes the cheese taste like soap powder.
Regards.
Neil.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America