Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Do my habenero peppers need to turn orange?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 12, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2009
1:02 PM

Post #7039757

All of the peppers are at mature size but none are turning orange yet. Should I wait a while longer harvest them?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #7040099

Same question different pepper...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1033223/
pjmerritt
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #7040141

You should wait till they are orange for the best taste, but if it gets too cold you can pick them and brown paper bag'em or you can protect them by doing a little green house via plastic.
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #7041079

I picked one bright red jalapeno off of the plant that was loaded with green ones. I should have taken a picture :) it seemed so defiant and bold not to be just another green one on the plant. I was very proud of it, although that might sound a little goofy lol. The habs took forever to blossom and I've honestly forgotten about them most of the summer. I didn't realize it had any peppers on it until I looked yesterday. The thread posted above is wonderful with lots of recipes and uses for the peppers. I don't know if I'm courageous enough to try a PB and J (jalapeno!) sandwich though but I do want to try the recipes infusing different kinds of cooking oils.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2009
7:45 PM

Post #7041130

That would be right up Jim's alley Babeegirl...he talked about all sorts of weird stuff on PB sandwiches
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2009
8:59 PM

Post #7041405

lol...it sounds like a belly ache waiting to happen :)

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #7041460

Miss seeing you around...everything was moved to sub only Gen. Discussion forum...not by choice...grin
Jim41
Delhi, LA

September 9, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #7042523

Good for the gut, babeegirl. Burns out all the impurities building up there. Course you might have to do #2 in a tub of ice water.

Seriously, which I find hard to do, keep a glass of milk handy when you try out new receipes with hot peppers. Stops the burning in the mouth almost instantly.
Jim41
Delhi, LA

September 9, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #7042543

Back at ya, talked to a guy this afternoon who said he takes jalapenos and cuts off the big end, splits them down the middle and removes the seed and white membrane, that's where the heat is, fills them with cream cheese, wraps a slice of bacon around them, secures it with a toothpick and puts them on the cool part of the grill. Sounds good to me and I shall try it.
Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

September 14, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #7063153

Sounds like a jalepeno popper with a splash of pork! Yum!
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #7063171

I haven't been out to check them for a week or so. I'll do that tonight to see if any are turning orange. The jalapenos are all turning red now on the windowseal in the kitchen. if we keep getting rain and cool damp days that it doesn't rain, I'll bring in the habs green and let them hang out with the jalapenos.
trinawitch
Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #7063774

hey babeegirl...when I grow them and the weather is cool and rainy it is ok to pick some you think are large enough to hang with the jalapenos..it won't hurt them, the will be slightly (and I do mean only very slightly) more mild than if they were to vine ripen...excuse me bush ripen
dipsydoodle
Newcastle upon Tyne
United Kingdom

September 23, 2009
8:56 AM

Post #7094832

I have the same peppers; mine were harvesting size for a few weeks and then over a matter of days suddenl turned into a rather lovely shade of orange (or peach as the packet says).

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America