Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Late Blight (Phytophthora infestans) Fungus of Tomatoes: I suspected it was blight.....

Communities > Forums > Article: Late Blight (Phytophthora infestans) Fungus of Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: Article: Late Blight (Phytophthora infestans) Fungus of TomatoesReplies: 3, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
1973tr6
Jefferson, ME

September 8, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #7040177

Thanks for your article and pics. The pics confirmed my suspicion that late blight had infected my tomato crop. My 30+ plants were devastated and we picked very few uninfected fruits. I'll be buying some heavy trash bags soon. It appears my eggplants and possibly potatoes have suffered as well. Maine had an absolutely terrible July with triple our normal rainfall. It lasted into August and on my clay based soil this disease just thrived.
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #7047573

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I don't think the weather was quite as bad here in western PA, but bad enough. Let's hope next year's weather is much better!

TC
1973tr6
Jefferson, ME

September 16, 2009
10:17 PM

Post #7071588

In cleaning up the tomato bed, many dried tomato leaves and infected tomatoes have fallen to the ground. While trying to be as fastidious about cleanliness as possible, it is likely I will not get all the infected material picked up. Besides not planting in the same area next year is it also helpful to skip a year of growing nightshades? In doing so do the blight spores go away or do they remain in the soil until such time as I plant again?
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #7073703

Hello again 1973tr6. You've asked some very good questions. Unfortunately, I don't have solid answers. From what I've researched, the spores can overwinter on infected tubers and fruit only if weather conditions are ideal, which is to say mild winters. Also, if you compost any infected tuber, fruit, or plant material, it may overwinter there due to the heat generated within the compost pile.

I'll more than likely have to contact a plant pathologist in order to give you a definitive answer about letting an area go fallow.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Late Blight (Phytophthora infestans) Fungus of Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
good reading! onewish1 12 Sep 7, 2009 3:59 PM
The N. E. for June, July and August? carrielamont 6 Sep 6, 2009 6:08 PM
Thanks for the article, but... Igrowinpa 15 Sep 8, 2009 2:16 PM
I suspected... Sundownr 1 Sep 4, 2009 12:54 PM
Blight Delaware 1 Sep 7, 2009 10:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America