Photo by Melody

Article: The biggest, oldest tree in the forest: White Oak: The New Forest!

Communities > Forums > Article: The biggest, oldest tree in the forest: White Oak
bookmark
Forum: Article: The biggest, oldest tree in the forest: White OakReplies: 3, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

September 8, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #7040348

Dear Sharon a great article, I enjoyed it immensely!
Of course it would not be England without our English oak Quercus robur.
In 1097 William the Conqueror set aside a huge area of forest in Hampshire (south west) England, and called it the New forest. Mainly kept under strict laws it was for his love of Deer hunting.
The oak trees were magnificent; although called the New forest, it was ancient then, as some of the old writings do tell of it.
Henry VIII and his Daughter unfortunately cut lots of it down for ship building, as oak is very good for warships. We were at war with France and Spain etc.
Although they kept cutting it down, into the 1800s, they did have the sense to replant the cut areas.
So apart from it's ups and down this wonderful place has always been protected by the Forest Law of 1097, otherwise it would not have survived.
Th oaks are any plant lovers dream as well as all the other flora. The wild orchids are stunning. They took the Forest Laws away and made it in a National Park, so they could inject more money into looking after it.
It is full of wild Ponies; unfortunately acorns when the Ponies eat them, kill the Ponies!
In the old days this did not happen that much as; most of the commoners have a right to allow their animals to graze in the forest, Pigs love acorns, so were put out to eat the acorns, and the Ponies were safe!
Nowadays not many people keep Pigs so it is a problem, they are encouraging people to put Pigs in the forest, when the acorns fall.
Sharon in World War II, the Germans could not get coffee, but they could get acorns!
So they learnt how to soak the tannin out (the bad bit), roast them and use them for a coffee substitute. They called it ersatz coffee, which means "not real."

My thanks to the New Forest web site http://www.newforest.hampshire.org.uk
who kindly let me use one of their pictures.
If you are ever in England go there!
Regards.
Neil.

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #7040372

What a wonderful piece of history, Neil, thank you so much.

Lends majesty to this magnificent old tree.

Sharon
lindagsmith
Covington, IN

September 9, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #7045183

Very interesting article. I am also originally from Kentucky. Iwas born in Liletown close to Greensburg, Ky.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2009
1:47 PM

Post #7050931

Hi Linda,
That's in Green County, isn't it? Green is a few counties east of me, I am in far western KY, but my stories usually come from south east KY and Letcher County where I grew up.

It's great to hear from you, glad you liked the article.
Have a good day!

Sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The biggest, oldest tree in the forest: White Oak Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lightning postmandug 10 Sep 11, 2009 2:30 PM
Oaks are great.... zhinusmom 11 Sep 7, 2009 3:06 PM
Oaks phicks 1 Sep 4, 2009 7:50 PM
Wonderful SunnyBorders 1 Sep 7, 2009 8:22 PM
oak tree story misspgy 1 Sep 8, 2009 6:20 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America