Photo by Melody

Hoyas: Any hoyas on your most-wanted list?

Communities > Forums > Hoyas
bookmark
Forum: HoyasReplies: 29, Views: 311
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2009
7:12 PM

Post #7041026

Hi all,
I'm just curious if anyone has any hoyas that have caught their eye and you are now pining for? There are a couple that I really want, but I've spent so much money on hoyas already this year that I think I'm going to wait until next year to order them. One of the hoyas is H. imbricata, but due to the special requirements of this plant I may not order it.

I also have to get rid of a few more "regular" house plants to make room for all of the hoyas I've purchased this year. This is going to be painful, I can tell.
Mike

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 8, 2009
7:28 PM

Post #7041075

LOL Mike ... my list of most-wanted's is too long to print here! I'm an "older" lady who is like a kid in a candy store when y'all post pictures of some of your Hoyas! I'm in the same boat ... not enough space! If I could truly downsize some of my other plants I would have more room for hoyas. I have a legal pad that I write down the name of ones I want and it is now into the third page. Drat! I should have heard about these plants when I was young! :-)

I did get two cuttings of H. patella this summer. I put it at the top of my want list after Carol posted her gorgeous bloom photo! The little cuttings have rooted nicely and are putting out new little vines, so I guess it's happy!
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2009
7:52 PM

Post #7041162

Hi Lin,
I hear you!

My want list is pretty much the entire David Liddle hoya catalog listing! (:o)

I purchased both the white and pink H. patella from David this year and both of the cuttings made the trip from Australia just fine. I am a little nervous about ordering any of the small/thin leaved hoyas from David due to the long transit time. I had ordered H. cystiantha from David and it did not make it due to it's paper-thin leaves. It was quite expensive, too, so when it died, that did not make me happy.

I love all of the campanulate-flowered hoyas and all of them are on my most-wanted list. Since most have fairly thin leaves, I will need to find a local USA source for them.
Mike
DeeinFL
Chipley, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #7041604

Hey Mike,

If you go to Joni's website (SRQ hoyas) she has cystiantha. Just join her wish list and she will let you know when it is ready. I just put a few on there at a time. When I get the ones on the wish list, the I add more. Not quite the shock to the system doing it this way I find.

Dee
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2009
1:38 AM

Post #7042313

I'm with you Mike, the campanulates are all calling my name. And then there's bi-color. And a whole bunch more. I have another order in to DL for about a dozen, but not sure when its being shipped- I'm doing it as a favour for another collector and she keeps adding more to her list so he's hesitant to start cutting in case she adds another 10 or 20. Seriously, she's determined to have every single species that exists, and has easily double what I have, if not more.

I babble on and the cats keep calling. Must tend to spoiled felines.

Christine
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2009
1:44 PM

Post #7043710

Hi Dee,
Thanks for the info. I have ordered from Joni previously and received excellent plants from her. I'll have to look into the wish list on her website.

Christine,
Oh, I hear you on the bi-colored hoyas, as well as those with the cool, veined, two-toned leaves. I purchased H. bicolor from Joni at SRQ and I am so anxious for those bi-colored, lime scented flowers!!! The plant I received from her has three peduncles so it could be anytime. (:o)

I just recently purchased both forms of H. callistophylla from D. Liddle plus the H. sp. Kalimantan, which he says is the very BEST of the two-toned leaf species. After seeing H. sp. Kalimantan, I have to agree - it's spectacular. And all three of these plant have bi-colored flowers, to boot!

There is a bi-colored, two-toned leaf hoya up for auction on eBay every so often called. H. sp. Borneo Gunung Gading and it goes for between 70.00 and 120.00 when on eBay. FatPlant2020 is the person that lists this plant on eBay.

I had emailed D. Liddle to find out if he carried this plant and this is his response:
"G'day Mike,
Hoya sp. Gunung Gading is Hoya callistophylla. There is the type IML 0554 and a second clone IML 1174 available which I suspect is Hoya sp. Gunung Gading as Ed De Vogel collected there.
regards,
David"

I just thought I'd pass that info on to anyone that may be lusting after H. sp. Borneo Gunung Gading and does not want to shell out big bucks for the plant! (:o)
Mike

Gabro14
Whitestone, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #7044772

Oh that's EASY...

The one hoya that I'm dying for is H. waymaniae. I've tried it several times from DL but the darn thing won't live long enough to form roots!

Gabi
DeeinFL
Chipley, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #7044822

Gabi here is a link to a guy in FL that he has listed as having. I haven't bought from him, but maybe someone knows him:

http://www.hoyaplants.com/hoyaplants.htm

Dee
Gabro14
Whitestone, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2009
7:56 PM

Post #7044944

Thanks Dee. I just looked but it said that "prices are for cuttings". Problem is that I can't root that hoya for the life of me! I'll need to find an established plant. Thanks anyway though!

Gabi
DeeinFL
Chipley, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2009
9:14 PM

Post #7045149

Gabi,

Is there a particular reason why you can't, like it is difficult, tempermental, etc.

Dee
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2009
9:44 PM

Post #7045219

Dee,
I was going to ask the same thing. I've not ever tried to root H. waymaniae, but I have read that it is not one of the easiest hoyas to grow. I guess not easy to grow and not easy to root must go hand-in-hand???
Mike
edit to correct spelling error

This message was edited Sep 9, 2009 10:58 PM
Gabro14
Whitestone, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2009
10:45 PM

Post #7045400

Mike and Dee,

I wish I had the answer to that! It's just one of those hoyas that I can't root. Hopefully, if I ever get an established plant of it, it will do fine. But I always thought it was just one of those hard ones to propagate. Hopefully it's easy once it has roots.

Anyone else have trouble with this one?

Gabi
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #7045716

I've kept my waymaniae in a south-facing window since shortly after it rooted. It gets direct hot sun and grows happily. So I must have read somewhere that it likes to be warm, and it apparently does. Its planted in my potting mix and I let it get farily dry between waterings.

Christine
Gabro14
Whitestone, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2009
2:57 AM

Post #7046237

Ah...well maybe that's my answer Christine! I have no south-facing windows - they are all east-facing. I've used heating mats to root them (and bright indirect light), but still no luck. Oh well...I'll try one more time if I can find an established plant - but if I fail at that then I'm giving up on that hoya!!

Gabi
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #7047316

Gabi,
I've found my hoyas do best when grown in an East-facing window. I think the vines love the morning sun and the bright light they get the rest of the day.
Mike
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2009
4:51 PM

Post #7047769

Yes, I think east is excellent for most hoyas; I unfortunately have only one usable small east facing window (which has 10-12 hoyas in it). (Another is directly behind my bed; DH said no way to a plant above his head when he's sleeping...the meanie.) Most of the hoyas on the window ledge of my big south-facing window are eriostemmas, which provide dappled sunlight to the rest on shelving units, but waymaniae likes her hot sun so as long as she's growing well, I'll keep her up high with the cactii and succulents.

Christine
Sunshinesw
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 10, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #7047832

Oh I want lasiantha, flat stem, sp square, magalantha, magalaster, patella, lambii, darwinii, waymaniae ++++++ more. It doesn't seem to end for want lists.

Jan
DeeinFL
Chipley, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #7048205

I want so many, but what I really want is magnifica and albiflora. Jan you are right the want list never ends it just seems to keep growing.

Dee
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2009
6:53 PM

Post #7048246

LOL Christine ... I think my husband would say no way to plants above his head while sleeping too! I do have plants in an east window in the guest room above the bed, and awhile back I had taken them outside to water them ... left them out for a day and then remembered to put them back. Well, that night my dear hubby was snoring so loudly that finally around 3 a.m. I moved to the other bedroom to try to get some sleep! Just before 5 a.m. a little lizard jumped on my head, which had me jumping up outta there really fast. It scared the beejeebies out of me until I saw what it was. The little guy must have been hiding in the plant. I rescued him so the kitty wouldn't think it was another toy, and released him to the back deck.
Gabro14
Whitestone, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #7048497

I saw a GORGEOUS waymaniae on ebay (from thailand) today. It's around 40 dollars ("buy it now" price) and 30 dollars shipping and 5 dollars for phyto. Even though it's huge, blooming, and beautiful, I just can't spend $75 on a hoya that might not live. But wow...the red coloring on this one hoya is to die for!

Lin and Christine, I can't believe that your hubbies won't let you risk their lives by taking a chance of a plant crashing on their heads!! How mean!! Maybe if you get a hoya with beer scented flowers?

Gabi
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #7048870

LOL Gabi ... it would have to be Sprite scented for my hubby cause he doesn't drink beer. I do have a noid Cattleya Orchid that's been blooming for over a month now and it has a great citrus scent, maybe I could practice with that!

Wowsers ... I can't imagine paying $75 for ANY plant!
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #7049789

Red Bordeaux pinot noir scented, and I'd have him ... hmmm ... I wonder if I could cross a hoya with a grape ... lol

I just got sp square for the second time, rooted this time and its above my kitchen sink so I can keep a close eye on it. Why can't they all be successful the first time?

A friend sent me a picture of a hoya she found here called Hoya manipurensis, posted by a member DGer in Bangkok, Thailand I. I`ve dmailed him to see if I can buy cuttings. This is for the friend who has more money for hoyas than space in her house but it doesn`t deter her in the least. I think her orchid collection is even larger. But what a cool looking hoya. Take a look - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/129956/ - I`d have to say this one`s pretty high on my want list now too.

Christine
Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

September 11, 2009
12:05 PM

Post #7050658

That looks like a cross between Hoya kerrii and Hoya kanyakumariana - very cool!

Doug
Gabro14
Whitestone, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #7051041

That doesn't look like a hoya. Actually, it does say on the page "Hoya manipurensis", but if you click on the pictures they are labeled "Dischidia obcordata". That makes more sense...I was gonna say if that's a hoya then I MUST have it!

Christine, you might want to tell that DG'er that it's not a hoya (so he can fix the page)...hopefully you didn't pay for it yet.

I wonder if there is such a hoya though?

Gabi
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #7051068

Very cool plant! I see in PF it shows Synonym's Dischidia obcordata and Micholitzia obcordata.

and when googling I found this: http://www.psthehoyan.com/PSTheHoyan6_3.htm , but most of it is waay over my head in understanding!

Zipcodezoo shows this plant as Genus Hoya. http://zipcodezoo.com/Plants/H/Hoya_obcordata/ but I have no clue who posts zipcodezoo or how accurate the info is.

I guess they're all in the same family anyway and the leaves do look like a cross between kerrii and kanyakumariana. Neat looking plant! I'd be real curious to see what the bloom looks like! I love that photo in PF of it in the hanging basket with the branches sticking out all over!
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2009
3:02 PM

Post #7051172

That is a cool plant!

I think I'm going to wait until I have ALL of the hoyas before I start to branch out into those plants that are similar to or closely related to hoyas! (:o)

I do have a couple of Dischidias, though. It's funny how easily this obsession starts to branch out beyond the "actual" hoyas into those plants closely related to hoya.

I give up... (:o) What's the use in trying to limit what I grow when I have no willpower and I want to grow one of everything (hoyas or otherwise)?
Mike

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2009
3:20 PM

Post #7051282

LOL Mike, I think we are all in the same club when it comes to these plants! I don't have anywhere near the numbers of Hoya's that some of y'all have and I only have one Dischidia (ruscifolia) and one Stephanotis (that I can't seem to get to bloom!) but it seems like almost every photo someone posts, I end up adding to my wish list!
pprice
Ranburne, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2013
2:44 PM

Post #9419156

I just bought some at a good price from Gardino Nursery at a real good price
pprice
Ranburne, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2013
2:47 PM

Post #9419162

I lost all mine ..My husband died and had to move ..Anyone have cuttings let me know .I have just ordered some so I will have cutting soon
pprice
Ranburne, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2013
7:05 AM

Post #9426524

Would anyone be interested in sharing ?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hoyas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Carol Noel order just came in. Dianne492 14 Oct 6, 2008 12:55 AM
Collection of your favorite informational Hoya links PanamonCreel 20 Dec 14, 2009 11:56 PM
Variegated & Green leaf on Kerrii ACsAgapePlants 4 Mar 2, 2009 3:29 AM
Big leaves meltn 75 Jul 14, 2007 3:14 PM
Hoya Jackpot in Vegas!! ACsAgapePlants 26 Apr 13, 2008 10:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America