-
AuthorContent
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

September 10, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #7045983

Anyone growing this small tree that's also called the Spinach Tree? Edible leaves that must be cooked one minute, or longer.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

September 10, 2009
5:51 AM

Post #7046642

never heard of it. does it actually taste like spinach?
isaac

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

September 10, 2009
10:14 AM

Post #7046790

It is Cnidoscolus aconitifolius, Chaya or Maya Chaya. It is closely related to Jatropha.

It is a survival / famine food. Very easy to grow; not that good eating.

You can cook the leaves and eat them, but I would prefer Swiss Card or other garden greens.

A good to grow tree type spinach is Edible Hibiscus, Abelmoschus manihot. It tastes good raw or cooked!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

September 10, 2009
1:12 PM

Post #7047115

Need to find some of that.

I read that Chaya is very bland, that'd be easy to cook with.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

September 10, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #7047880

Bland is a good way to describe it. Definitely could benefit to add some garlic, ginger, and a little vinegar.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

September 10, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #7048671

That sounds wonderful! Better that some bitter greens that I've tried. And Garlic is a vegetable. Sometimes I saute a half a cupful to go with dinner, when I plan to stay home for two days!

Garlic, Ginger, rice vinegar, and Soya sauce. And Lemon? Once I had a curry that had tiny bits of lemon, about 1/2 teaspoon size chunks. Great! A little pizzazz in an occasional bite. Not too much, just right.
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

September 11, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #7051652

Chaya is a very common food here, not considered starvation food at all. I love it, it is great in scrambled eggs, is commonly put into tamales with some pork or boiled egg and is also often used in soups. It grows easily in the tropics and is more of a bush than a vine. I prefer it to chard but really I'm happy with either as they have a different taste. There is also a vine here called the spinach vine in spanish but it is not the same plant as chaya. A friend is giving me a cutting this week and I'll see how I like it.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

September 25, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #7103278

Just had my first bowlful, I'm hooked. I won't say it's like the more civilized greens, Kale, Chard, but I like how it mildly tastes so GREEN and healthy. I steamed it , chopped it fine, and added chopped sauteed onion, and a little soya sauce and apple juice. The texture could be better, but it's OK chopped.

The plants that I found by the side of the road are Chaya. They were probably planted on purpose because the road leads into a subdivision, and there are bougainvilleas and other things planted there. Oboy, cutting city! The two cuttings I made a couple of weeks ago have made roots, and I bought some rooted cuttings from a local farm. What I just ate was some picked leaves that the farm was also selling.

Show me someone who won't take a pinch or a cutting, and I'll show you someone who isn't a gardener! But I do NOT take stuff from a nursery. That would be stealing.

Now, where to plant a row on my place so it'll be happy...
dsa2591
North Port, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 25, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #7103587

I grow Chaya, and love the taste, but I must say if you don't pick the leaves young, it takes a long time to cook them. I season them as I do collards or mustard greens, adding a ham hock. They grow like mad, and are very pretty, so I'm never short on greens.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

September 25, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #7104349

I'm thankful that I still have all my teeth, because I don't need to cook it much, two minutes. It has a texture rather like paper, but the nutrition is what I'm after. Otherwise, I'd still be eating Iceberg lettuce!
stellamarina
Laie, HI

October 25, 2009
6:25 AM

Post #7205925

Just had my first meal of Chaya the other night...stir fried with pork and carrots with garlic, soy sauce and vinegar. It tasted like any sort of green spinach and was enjoyed by everybody in the family. chaya is now up there with edible hibiscus (pele) as one of my favorite easy and nutritional vegetables. My kind of lazy vegetable gardening...grow the bush and go pick the leaves off when you need them.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

October 27, 2009
7:37 AM

Post #7212788

Sounds like a nice vegetable, stella! i will have to find one of those plants...
Isaac
bbode
Merida, Centro
Mexico
(Zone 11)

November 9, 2009
8:16 AM

Post #7255231

It's amazingly good as a drink. Chop it in a blender with lemonade. But watch out for one variety. I think it's the hairy one that can cause a poison ivy-type rash if you pick it after early morning. bb
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2009
6:55 PM

Post #7256609

Is this Chaya? I have a tall bush in my garden. Someone gave me a cutting, but she couldn't remember what it was. It has white flowers. Looks like the plant mentioned above. I'd like to try it in a salad, but don't want to wind up in the hospital!

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Click the image for an enlarged view.

extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

November 9, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #7256904

It does look like it but I'm no expert on identifying plants, I'd wait for one of the real experts before you cook it up. I buy it in the grocery store as I don't have any growing here, the leaves look like your picture. Here's a picture on Wiki that shows pretty good detail and also looks like your pic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cnidoscolus_chayamansa1_ies.jpg
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #7256921

Yep...I think that's it! Thanks for link.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #7257151

It looks like a type of Casava to me...we use to eat the leaves and roots in W. Africa

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

November 9, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #7257513

Bigbubbles plant is Cnidoscolus aconitifolius, Chaya.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2009
11:46 PM

Post #7257565

Thanks! I'm going to have to cut it back to get it under temp. greenhouse. I'll root some cuttings and in the spring, if anyone wants one, I can share.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

November 10, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #7260387

Yes, looks like Chaya to me, also. I'd like a couple of cuttings, they don't need leaves or roots. I have three variations of the leaves so far, and the leaves on your plant, bigbubbles, has thinner -- ?? fingers than the Chayas that I have. Dmail me if you feel up to mailing some cuttings.

OK,

Melissa, aka Molamola
stellamarina
Laie, HI

November 11, 2009
12:03 AM

Post #7261369

Your Chaya looks a different variety to the one I have growing in the garden Bubbles. Right now it is only about 4 feet high. The photo that Extra put up of a big tree is scaring me ...I was not expecting it to get so big. On the other hand I believe the idea is to keep the plant trimmed down so that you get lots of new growth to eat. Even the stalk tips can be eaten...skin like a brocoli stem, chop and saute. So I will need to keep it under control. Thanks for all the extra info everybody. aloha
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

November 12, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #7266659

I read someplace that you can make a hedge of Chaya, and trim it quite often.
stellamarina
Laie, HI

November 15, 2009
9:57 AM

Post #7275646

A gardening friend mentioned today that Chaya should not be eaten raw...only cooked...so that it removes some kind of poison in the leaves! anybody heard that before.. Maybe the Mexicans on board here with lots of experience in eating this plant could give an answer on this. thanks.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

November 15, 2009
10:14 AM

Post #7275650

Chaya is closely related to Jatropha species, which are very toxic. I would never eat the plant raw.
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

November 15, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #7276552

I'll ask the neighbors but I will say I have never seen it served raw. That's not saying much though as the local cuisine is very low on raw anything, veggies are cooked to death and eating salad is an upper class thing only. About the only thing I ever see eaten raw is fruit and jicama, and they are usually covered in chile and lime. Oh, well, I forgot about seafood ceviche which could be considered raw, it is 'cooked' with chile and lime.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

November 15, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #7276572

The raw leaves of Cnidoscolus aconitifolius, Chaya, will cause severe gastroenteritis, and must be cooked to be eaten.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

November 17, 2009
2:58 PM

Post #7282344

Here's what Michaels4gardens says about the Chaya he sells---

"Note, --Chaya contains Cyanide in small
amounts and some people recommend cooking
it. I eat it raw and see no problem with this, but if
you want to eat large amounts of Chaya [over 6
oz at one meal] I also recommend boiling it for 3
min.

Do not cook Chaya in aluminum cook ware, the
Toxic chemical reaction can cause Diarrhea.
Some kinds of Chaya have stinging hairs and
cannot be eaten raw, the Chaya I have does not
have these."

The Chaya I bought from him has much less serrated leaves than what I've found growing here on St Croix. Perhaps the eating of it raw is a matter of quantity, but who wants to eat cyanide??
stellamarina
Laie, HI

November 17, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #7283003

Thanks to you all for clearing that point up. aloha
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 17, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #7283654

The human body normally produces cyanide in small amounts as part of its immune system. If you have enough iodine in your diet it takes the cyanide out and there's no harmful build up. Some plants also produce cyanide as a defence (like cassava) and when they're cut or injured they produce even more. When cassava was introduced into parts of Africa it cause some serious health problems. It wasn't until they realised the connection and then introduced iodised salt that the problem was overcome. In coastal areas where there is a lot of fish in the diet the problem never arose. So I'd take stories of eating plants with a cyanide content with a grain of salt. ;O)

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 17, 2009
9:28 PM

Post #7283662

Hello, everyone.

My take on chaya: I had a chaya bush in Lauderhill. It grew very well and the master gardener who gave me the plant also instructed me to boil the leaves for 3 minutes twice to remove the toxin which could be present. The bush is also a great butterfly attractor.

I never ate the leaves because there is so much of everything else to eat, why take chances with plants that may or not be toxic at some level? In a famine situation, I would have stripped that bush down and consumed every little bit of it regardless.

We moved since then but the chaya is still gracing the grounds. A neighbour a few streets over had his grown into a full-sized tree.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
stellamarina
Laie, HI

November 18, 2009
10:08 AM

Post #7285604

It is always amazing the wealth of information shared on this site. Tropicbreeze...you have given me another reason to keep on with the use of iodized salt! Plus I love all you kindred souls who delight in growing new, easy, nutritional foods that many find too strange. I will give credit to my DH who will eye each nights stir- fry or salad with suspicion. "What are you trying to feed me tonight?" But he will still eat it.

Aloha
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

November 18, 2009
5:50 PM

Post #7286647

Stellamarina-- One fellow held up something on his fork, from the salad. "What's this?"

"Sweet potato"

"I'm eating RAW sweet potato? If you'd told me a year ago that I'd be eating raw sweet potato, I would have NEVER believed you!!"

haha
stellamarina
Laie, HI

November 18, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #7287691

Interesting Molamola...I have never eaten raw sweet potato either. Will have to try it. I do use the vine tips as a vegetable in a stir fry. Do you grate the sweet potato? Would it work in a pickled vege salad? mmmmmm... But my favorite way is from my Kiwi childhood...roasted sweet potato in with the Sunday beef or leg of lamb roast. aloha
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 19, 2009
4:24 AM

Post #7288595

Molamola, hate to be a wet blanket, but eating raw sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) is not good for you. Like a lot of tuber crops it contains "anti-nutrients" which prevent your body taking up beneficial nutrients. That's why tuber crops have always been cooked. Early humans worked out that there was a detrimental effect from eating them raw.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

November 19, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #7289816

Well, phooey. I am always trying to eat more stuff raw. And for the last half hour I've been googling. Raw Lima beans are a no-no. Raw white potatoes are OK, but not if green. BUT I am allergic to nightshades, so white potato is poison to me.

I haven't found about raw yams, or sweet potato, like American orange colored Thanksgiving sweet potatoes. Conflicting comments on those.

Is a tuber and root the same? A tuber being a swollen thing on a root, such as a white potato, or is a carrot also a tuber? haha! How about a rutabaga?
dsa2591
North Port, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2010
2:29 AM

Post #7524209

Carrots and rutabagas are roots. Potatoes are tubers. Sweet potatoes are great raw, especially grated into salads. Mashed cauliflower is a great potato substitute, and it tastes better.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 3, 2010
11:36 AM

Post #7525000

Well, dsa, you directly contradict Tropicbreeze, the third post up from here. I do really like yam (sweet potato) raw, but have quit eating it that way.

The little light bulb just went off over my head--- Roots are functional, carrot, salsify, but tubers just sit there being storage, and therefore have a natural insecticide/fungicide built in. ?? So a tuber should be cooked...?
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

February 3, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #7526079

sounds logical, but not sure!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 3, 2010
6:35 PM

Post #7526116

Can logic be applied to plants?? haha
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

February 4, 2010
1:05 AM

Post #7527252

I did a lot of research on foods some years back when I was living with Aborigines in Arnhem Land. These people were still relying a lot on bush foods but other basic western foods would come in from the outside world. Mostly things like tea, sugar (white), flour (white) and canned meat (spam), the worst side of "western culinary delights". So I was trying to introduce them to cultivation of food in gardens, something which appealed to the older people who were finding it increasingly difficult to go out. Perception of relevance and value to a community can diminish with ageing, especially with outside world influences creeping in and traditional life being eroded. Gardening largely countered this effect.

One of my big concerns was to not introduce things which might inadvertantly cause problems down the track. That's how I found out about the 'darker side' of tuber crops. The worst are the ones that have no warning taste, or slow reaction/response time so that causes are likely to be overlooked. But that said, we'd be lost without those plants. We just need to know how to use them.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 4, 2010
1:31 AM

Post #7527322

Yes, I remember something about a vendor in the Philippines poisoning school children by ignorantly preparing Taro( or an equivalent) in the wrong way.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

February 4, 2010
10:55 AM

Post #7528217

Thats scary!!!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 4, 2010
11:18 AM

Post #7528244

He got in a LOT of trouble. I think the children just got sick, I don't remember that any died. But he was kind of put out of business.

Their kind of Taro has several steps to prepare, I saw in a docmentary, they didn't just bake or boil it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America