Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Gladiolus : Growing unusual glads from seed

Communities > Forums > Gladiolus
bookmark
Forum: Gladiolus Replies: 8, Views: 141
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2009
1:32 PM

Post #7050863

I am seeing unusual glad seeds on ebay. Anyone know anything about these? Can they be grown from seed? Here's an example
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Bulbed-Seeds-Gladiolus-Watermeyeri-Beautiful-wow_W0QQitemZ120465608924QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0c4f50dc&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Thanks!
Roxanne
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 16, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #7070751

Growing species gladiolus is fun, but not so fool proof. Germination can be tricky (and the most difficult part, IMO), and some researching before you embark on such an endeavor will help immensely. Unfortunately, information is often lacking, and you may need to extrapolate from similar known species.

That's a great price for those seeds. Just don't beat yourself (or the supplier) up if the seeds don't germinate. While you will never really know if the seeds are viable (as with anything on ebay), chance are just as great that the seed is just persnickety.

Is the species summer growing (in its native environment) or winter growing? If it is winter growing, you may find nothing sprouts from a spring planting until fall. Species glads may or may not be more winter hardy than hybrids.
congminglaoshi
Tuckahoe, NY

October 12, 2009
12:07 PM

Post #7160544

G. watermeyeri is a winter growing one from the Cape of South Africa. Winter growing glads germinate best at cool temps, so if you have a place that gets down to 55 or so at night it should come up in about a month or less. Now is a good time to sow them. Alternatively, place the pot outdoors in a protected place in the fall and bring it in when they sprout (do not let it get exposed to frost). Young seedlings grow well under flourescent lights (close to tubes) in a cool room--you will want to continue to provide very good light or full sun when they get bigger. The seedlings will go dormant sometime in spring/early summer--then dry the pot out completely until October,when the cycle starts again. Silverhill seeds in South Africa has many winter growers on their lists (silverhillseeds.co.za), along with a number of summer growers.
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #7161179

Thank you so much for the great info. I got about a dozen or so types on ebay, I just haven't tried to grow them yet. I'm glad you specified the cool temps, I would have put tem on a heating pad if I didn't know that.
Roxanne
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #7686296

Just an update. I planted them in my cool basement and when I checked on them this morn alot of them have germinated. They look like very thin blades of grass. Now can I keep tem alive is the big question.
Roxanne
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 7, 2010
11:29 AM

Post #7686956

Would love to hear which species you have had luck with so far...
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2010
11:23 AM

Post #7718439

Here's what is growing, most don't have definate names. They are really fine blades, I don't know if they'll make it.
tropical orange
Painted Lady
rose scented
crimson and white
pink and white
violet scented
Alatus
I also planted Puya Berteroniana along with them and it's growing really well.
Roxanne
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 19, 2010
6:24 PM

Post #7719527

It's not uncommon for glad species types to sprout from seed and only have green for a month. You might think they have died but for some reason at such a young stage they just want to go dormant sooner than normal. So don't throw them away if this happens.
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2010
9:48 PM

Post #7726183

I'm just really surprised how fine the blades are. I don't know what I was expecting but they are really fine.
Roxanne

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gladiolus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gladiolus planting CountryGardens 48 Jan 11, 2010 11:27 AM
The Glad show has begun! wallaby1 156 Mar 21, 2007 10:28 PM
Possible plant support coop - perhaps for Glads? 4paws 58 May 30, 2007 7:12 PM
Brent and Becky glads bbrookrd 17 Mar 25, 2007 12:22 PM
Photos of Glads in the house 4paws 23 Apr 14, 2007 12:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America