Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Clean and Clutter-free: Best low-scum bath soap?

Communities > Forums > Clean and Clutter-free
bookmark
Forum: Clean and Clutter-freeReplies: 12, Views: 122
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 11, 2009
6:47 PM

Post #7051954

We were having a discussion in the non-smear glass cleaner thread about the best bar/bath soap with low residual soap scum. Our thought was less soap scum = less cleaning = less chemicals to use. Does anyone out there have an opinion?
gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

September 12, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #7056720

Many years ago I bought a wonderful smelling bath gel/shampoo from Amway. I don't think it left less scum, but I used it at the gym since it meant I had to carry only one container to the shower. Don't know if they still make it. That reminds me that when I travel I take only shampoo, since it's good for hair and okay for body. I tried washing my hair with shower gel - that was a disaster. I don't like the liquid moisturizer soaps - they don't clean as well for stinky places on humans. Actually my favorite bath soap is neutrogena.
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2009
8:14 AM

Post #7058119

I found out that using a shower gel makes much less scum on the wall of the shower than regular bar soap. Then my DS said someone had told her that years ago.
Sylvia
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #7058622

Any of the products that don't actually have soap in them will leave less scum than real soap does. The liquid shower gel & body wash type of products don't have soap in them so they'd work well, and there are some bars that don't have soap in them either if you don't like the gels. (Dove is one but I know there are others too). Among the soap-free products, ones that have more moisturizing ingredients can leave behind more residue, but none of them will be as bad as soap.

The other trick that works really well to prevent having to clean so often is to rinse down the shower before you get out. This is really easy to do if you've got one of the shower heads with the long hose that you can pull out--if you don't have one of those I would highly recommend investing in one. If you rinse all the excess suds, product residue, etc off the shower every day then it doesn't build up.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2009
5:19 AM

Post #7061793

I used to use Kirk's Castile bar soap. I liked the way it "cut the grease" as Mother used to say. I don't recall how much scum it left behind. I stopped using it when a love interest didn't like the fragrance of it. I think I will buy another bar and see how much scum it has.

I like this idea of finding cleaning products that don't need to be cleaned up after themselves.

I had the priviledge of caring for an old Black Labrador Retriever dog. His coat was water-resistant . He had arthritis and couldn't stand long, so I washed him lying down (he laid down, I squatted). ; - ) Anyway, I needed to use something low-suds because it took FOREVER to rinse shampoo out of his coat. Also, he had stress-related hot spots, an affliction of the skin he would bother and I wanted to be very careful to not make it worse. What to do? Well, I grabbed my favorite cleaner, Simple Green. I went to the website as nothing on the label said anything about using it on skin. (I wouldn't use something on him that I wouldn't use on myself). I didn't find much to assure me it was ok, but as I clean my drinking water bottles with it, I went ahead. I got him wet, sprayed the Simple Green on him straight out of the sprayer, rubbed it around, rinsed him easily and dried him off. I did this approx. every 6 weeks for 5 years, til he died. He never had hot spots after I cleaned him with the S. G. I will use it again to clean animals unless I am advised not to.
I use Simple green on anything I don't want to have to rinse suds out of forever, like sweaters. I also use it to launder the bedding and my own sheets. All this for a product I originally got to clean auto parts!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2009
5:31 AM

Post #7061812

P.S. I should have included the dog was 10 years old when I got him. I had him for 5 years. He had a gorgeous coat, due in part to lots of scrambled eggs in his diet.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 14, 2009
1:37 PM

Post #7062460

Simple Green - that's interesting. It would never have occurred to me to use it for dog-washing or on clothing. Have only used it on hard surfaces. How do you use in the washing machine? I have a front-loader that uses less water but I frequently add a second rinse to make sure all of the detergent is gone. Defeats the purpose, I know.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2009
10:35 AM

Post #7066035

I've not tried this myself but a friend and his wife only take baths and swear this leaves no soap scum in the tub to clean. They use Dreft washing powder only. They put a dab of it on a washcloth and lather. They also used it exclusively to bathe one of their bed ridden mothers and her laundry. She never had bedsores and they swore that was why.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 15, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #7066887

This is getting very interesting. I'm liking all of the alternative "soap" applications. Since we're strictly shower people, I wonder about the ease of use of a powder with water spraying everywhere.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #7068642

I agree with the shower as that is my preference. This couple do use washcloths and wet them before adding the Dreft. Might work but it seems we would use far more in a shower.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 16, 2009
1:17 PM

Post #7069956

As my skin gets older, I've been relying more on liquid shower soaps with moisturizers while DH uses bar soaps. The liquid soap doesn't seem to leave as much soap scum but it does leave streaks (moisturizer?) on the clear glass door which is a whole 'nother issue.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #7074489

The one bar soap I remember that bragged no soap scum...Zest
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

September 17, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #7074634

flowerjen - Same as I've always thought. It actually did have a low soap scum residue until they started fooling around with the fragrances. Perhaps the basic formula changed because I can attest that Zest can't brag anymore.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America