Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Saving Seeds: Seeds from Scabiosa Blackamoor

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 5, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #7052981

This is an heirloom variety I grew this year...it was very successful in my garden, and I absolutely loved the dark blossoms. However, I've tried several times to find the seeds on the dried blossoms, and have had no luck. I've tried gathering the heads earlier, later, etc. I still have a few seeds left from this spring, so I know what they look like. Any suggestions? I'm rather new to the whole seed saving thing, and this one has really stumped me.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2009
2:48 PM

Post #7083977

This is my first year growing Scabiosa (mine are creamy yellow), and they've done very well for me too- easy and not fussy at all. They were from saved seed from a seed swap. Being and heirloom, I think there's a good chance yours will come true from saved seed. I've been gathering seed from these by allowing the heads to turn brown on the plants, then cutting them and allowing them to dry in paper bags. I crushed some heads (they kinda look like little pine cones) that were dry, and it looked like the seeds I planted, so I think it will work.
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #7084044

Gemini: Thanks for the reply. I think I've finally figured out where the seeds are on these things. Each seed head is composed of multiple cone-shaped pods, that together make up the pine-cone looking head. At the base of the individual cone is where I think I'm finding the seed. (Is that what your scabiosa seed heads look like?)Trouble I'm having is deciding exactly when to cut each seed head--too early, the seeds are green; too late, and the seeds appear to have disappeared. Also, I can only find seeds in a small portion of the individual cone-shaped parts (sorry, can't think of the proper term). So far, out of about 10 heads, I've managed to get about 2 dozen seeds. Perhaps this is why this a rare variety LOL. Or, more likely it is just that I have a lot to learn about seed saving.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 20, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #7084090

These seeds are the real easy ones. Because the seeds are the flowers..sort of. When the color fades the seeds are left. No real cleaning or hard to find seeds.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3487/3827118515_e32de9cde7.jpg

http://www.alpine-plants-jp.com/himitunohanazono/scabiosa_lucida_himitu_1.htm

They also remind me of look gaillardia seeds.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/2072/
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #7084186

Kim--great photos, thank you. When I break the seedheads apart, it looks almost exactly like the picture in that 2nd link. I then find the seed at the bottom of the cone attached to the long hairy-looking thing (how's that for a technical term--for some reason, my knowledge of plant anatomy is evading me today). I can't figure out why I'm finding so few seeds--bad timing? I know I'm on track with isolating the proper seed, as I found a few left from my commercial source this year.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 20, 2009
5:02 PM

Post #7084339

Yeah the whole cone thingy is what you plant. I like easy seeds like that. I have had to wrestle for some seeds! LOL LOL. Those are the ones that are just there when the flower fades...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America