Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: What is this that's eating my new snapdragons??

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 8, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kathymac
Citrus Heights, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #7053642

I found this caterpillar on one of my snapdragons this morning, and now he has moved on to another and seems to be eating only the flowers. Please help with an ID please!

Thumbnail by kathymac
Click the image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2009
2:15 AM

Post #7053699

Kathy, you stand a better chance of a positive ID if you post your picture in the insect and spider ID forum. There are some very knowledgeable folk there that should be able to help you.
kathymac
Citrus Heights, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #7053710

Thank you. I will post it there.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 12, 2009
2:48 AM

Post #7053843

It's the larvae of some kind of moth...don't know which one, but I get those every year on Petunias, snaps, cosmos, etc.
Get some BT Caterpillar Killer and spray the plants with it. It's an organic harmless bacteria that kills them w/o hurting the plants.

Green Loght makes a good one and you can get it just about everywhere.
kathymac
Citrus Heights, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2009
2:57 AM

Post #7053864

Thank you, JasperDale, Pirl said you would probably know. I already have the Bt caterpillar killer. Just wasn't sure if it was the same thing that I had on my petunias earlier in the year or a butterfly caterpillar. This one is quite a bit bigger, and a different color. I'll go spray right them now!
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 12, 2009
3:00 AM

Post #7053883

Those things have voracious appetites, so I spray before I ever even see them now !
kathymac
Citrus Heights, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2009
3:23 AM

Post #7053981

had i known those caterpillars liked snapdragons i would've sprayed them when i planted them last weekend.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 12, 2009
3:28 AM

Post #7054005

Now ya know, for next time ! lol

Another good thing to do is to use some of that systemic rose food with insecticide in it when you're planting new annuals. It poisons the plant pretty quickly and any caterpillars that eat it die sooner before they devour the plant.
kathymac
Citrus Heights, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2009
3:32 AM

Post #7054015

i used some of the rose systemic fertilizer when i planted my boxes last weekend...but i saw the caterpillar this morning, and didn't have time to come back in to find out what it was, and by the time i got home this evening he had already moved to three other plants! talk about voracious appetites!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America