Photo by Melody

Article: You Supply The Caption - Gardening Fun :): O mio...

Communities > Forums > Article: You Supply The Caption - Gardening Fun :)
bookmark
Forum: Article: You Supply The Caption - Gardening Fun :)Replies: 8, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kat_M
Merced, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #7055100

"O mio babbino caro!"

(Puccini: "Gianni Schicci", and pasta sauce commercials, among others...)
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 12, 2009
3:20 PM

Post #7055142

Gasp! You mean there's actually someone familiar with opera on this site?! :-)
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2009
12:15 AM

Post #7057003

I am, and that was wonderful !!
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #7058502

Smile. I don't feel quite so lonely now. :-)
Kat_M
Merced, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #7081234

Yes, indeed! So nice to know another Opera lover is here! I used to be able to attend the Opera regularly in San Francisco when I was in grad school. Loved it! But now I rarely get to go. Boo hoo... : -( I actually sang this aria as a voice student once upon a long long time ago...
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2009
5:02 PM

Post #7081258

I know what you mean. I miss the Music Center in LA. Which is why I am gathering an impressive collection of opera on DVD.
Kat_M
Merced, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #7084978

DVD is a great way to go! I have a good friend who has a HUGE collection, and has loaned videos to me on occasion. I only have a few, myself, though. I've mostly retired due to health issues, so I have to pick and choose what I spend my spare $$ on these days. So, do I buy garden stuff or music stuff...hmm...when it's gardening time, well...need I say more? LOL But I was fortunate to get to see a few West Coast premieres such as "Dr. Atomic" by John Adams, "The Bonesetter's Daughter" by Stewart Wallace, and "Appomattox" by Philip Glass. Very contemporary operas, but interesting. I am a composer, myself, so I am always interested in what is being written today. Just between you and me, though, I like the classic Italian Operas best.
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2009
9:24 PM

Post #7085116

Yup, my tastes are pretty boring. Faust is probably my favorite (I even forgive it for being in French); there are 4 recorded video performances of Faust and I have them all (and none of them are particularly good performances, ha ha!). And as far as I'm concerned, Verdi could do no wrong. My brother, now, is insane. He has dragged his poor, long-suffering wife to the complete Ring, seen ALL the Menotti operas, and even went to a performance of (brace yourself--did you even know this existed?) The Fly.
A number of the dvds I have are actually not available. Those old movies from the 30's and 40's with opera singers.
Amazingly enough, Netflix has a pretty respectable collection of opera on dvd.
Kat_M
Merced, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #7087660

Yep, Verdi is great (I went to a great production of "Falstaff", and it was hilarious!). Also Puccini--he had a particular gift for beautiful melody. Can't go wrong with either of them. Strangely, I've never seen Faust. I've heard many excerpts, and I have the entire Libretto (I have all of the major librettos, actually), but it was never playing when I could go, which was a real shame, because it is one of the great operas. Now sitting through the complete Ring is quite a feat! Bless your brother's wife for bearing it! :) I've never managed it, and doubt I could these days! LOL But Wagner is the favorite of my friend with the DVD collection and I think he's sat through every Wagner Opera in existance. Now, I actually like the Menotti operas. I played in the orchestra in high school for one of them, and that was a lot of fun. In fact, I've written a couple of operas myself, and am working on an Operetta now. As you can see, music and gardening are my two passions!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: You Supply The Caption - Gardening Fun :) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Caption Humour Kaelkitty 15 Mar 4, 2008 5:56 AM
DANG! MistyPetals 1 Mar 1, 2008 8:23 PM
SCREAM slowtornado 2 Mar 1, 2008 9:13 PM
The Metropolitan Opera has a new singer! gabagoo 16 Mar 5, 2008 2:42 AM
This too, can happen to you... MistyMeadows 3 Mar 1, 2008 11:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America