Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Container Gardening: Help! Ants have invaded my succulent pots!

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Birdybren
Madison, AL

September 12, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #7055331

I have several succulent containers and ants have invaded one of my favorites. A whole army of ants! What is the best thing I can pour or sprinkle on that will not hurt this plant? TIA Bren
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 14, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #7063987

Would drenching them with water & spraying with RAID house & garden work?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2009
8:55 PM

Post #7064026

On the Cacti & Succulents forum, we were discussing getting plants ready to move in. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037492/#new

I use BATS Bayer Advanced Tree & Shrub which is a systemic insecticide. It is used in a reduced dose and works well for root mealies and other pesty bugs. I should think it would work with ants also. If you should chose to use this, the measurement is 1 or 2 Tbsp per gallon of water. Watered in when the plant is dry so it absorbs well. Hillbilly_Gran uses a granular form of imidicloporid which should work the same.

We have fireants here and if I have plants they want to take up residence in, I sprinkle a tad of ant poison on the ground under the pot to discourage them.
gardenza
Anza, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #7064450

I don't know if this is a viable long term solution for you, but can you set them up off the ground? I put the legs of the plant stands in deep trays and fill them with water. Ants won't be able to get to the container, then. Of course, if the container is too big, this isn't an option. Good luck!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 424 Oct 13, 2014 10:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America