Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Handyman: Cat smell in DR carpet

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 20, Views: 249
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 12, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #7055800

We lov your kitty..but she has potted in our DR carpet...Cleaned it twice..used black light to find spots..but it still has odor.What can we do. We do have a electric carpet cleaner..?????????? Help please..

smiles..Diana...
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #7055897

Did you use a cleaner specially for pet stains/odors? Many of them have enzymes in them which will help get rid of the odor better than regular carpet cleaners.
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 12, 2009
7:19 PM

Post #7055918

yes...two different kinds..but it is still there...dear me..hacking head...????

smiles.Diana
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #7055958

It's possible that the cat pee got all the way down into the carpet padding underneath and the cleaner might not penetrate that far. If you've got a carpet cleaner machine that's definitely worth trying and see if that helps. Or try really soaking the area with the enzyme cleaner to make sure it gets deep down.
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 12, 2009
9:18 PM

Post #7056291

Yes we do have a big...carpet cleaner..thingy...did it twice with that..I am about ready to pour it on..or..lift one end. it is about 1/3 of the carpet..on the edges..Took her to the vet..and yes she did have a infections...took meds for that..but now...We clean it..and when it drys...or is a little damp..oh my...Maybe would have to change the padding? Just trying the least work...But maybe we will end up doing that..yet...thanks...for the in put...

smiles..Diana
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #7091474

If you can get to padding sprinkel bakeing soda on area..

Tubby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #7097907

Try Febreeze. There's also a Turtle Wax product that is similar. I think it's a Turtle Wax odor remover. I had my van detailed and I carry a big stinky dog with me a lot. The detail guy used something like Febreeze which is actually made for cars. When I got my van back, there was absolutely no scent of my dog at all. (He has a skin allergy and during summer, it's just awful! The smell is horrible, but he loves his rides, so I don't have the heart to begin denying him after 11 years of riding shotgun.)
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #7099125

Do have Febreeze..and used it..a lot..but..it is still there...never heard of Turtle Wax odor..remeover..will look for that...thanks...Diana
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 24, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #7099195

I've had good luck with Febreze on general "doggy odor", but for pet urine you really need the enzyme products to completely get rid of the smell, Febreze won't typically get rid of it.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2009
2:06 PM

Post #7099202

Another idea is to set a bowl of vinegar or a box of baking soda around the spot. Each is supposed to absorb the odor. We have rent houses and have used the vinegar trick several times.

Also, have you ever used an ozone air purifier? I got a used one on Ebay for about $50 and we use it a lot in our rent houses as well as our home. It creates "ozone" to eliminate all odors and generate that "after the rain" clean smell. It is fantastic! You can use it in your car too. In about an hour, it would completely remove all odors in your vehicle or in a room of your house. Be careful of regular air purifiers. If they don't generate "Ozone", they don't remove odors like this. This thing is a miracle for me. If I'm having people over for dinner and want to remove my dog's smell, I can run this thing for a few hours before the dinner, and it will remove all trace of him, leaving my house smelling fresh for days. Mine is a Living Air XL15--an older model. But it works so well in my 1200 sq ft home. I also use it in my van, especially before a road trip. There are models that don't create the ozone, so just be careful and read the specs for whatever you decide to buy.
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #7099214

Giving it one more chance...I am going to post in Pets...and see if someone has another...way...If not..I guess I will take the carpet out..and cushion...and run maybe kitchen carpet in DR...and kitchen...dear me..But thanks for the help...

smiles..Diana...
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 24, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #7099528

Liz is right about the enzyme cleaner, however, if you've used a surfactant based cleaner on it, (soap) it destroys the enzyme cleaners' ability to work properly. I had to replace the carpet padding in my spare bedroom over one urine spot. Also sealed the flooring beneath just to be sure.
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #7099858

well the first time we cleaned it..it was a soap thing...but then we cleaned it with..a pet stain..kind...still did not help..then..we bought and used..1 1/2 gal..of white vinigar...poured on...using the black light..to show the spots..now..I can smell the vinager...but..also the main thing...this was not just one spot..many..around the edges..Yes I heard if youchanged...you would have to seal the wood under..Like with Kiltz...????? guess I am waiting for magic to happen for sure stay tuned...lol smiles..Diana..
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #7099868

Bacazap worked for me: info on this product. For purchase just google and buy cheapest available.
http://www.pestproducts.com/bac-azap.htm
blpender
Dowagiac, MI

December 20, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #7385123

If you can isolate the area the odor is coming from, you can inject the enzyme solution right into the carpet pad with a big hypodermic syringe.
blpender
50glee
Huntersville, NC

July 9, 2010
8:52 AM

Post #7954870

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Two words: Natures Miracle.

It's found in pet stores; a quart (or liter) is under $10. but well worth the cost.
It cleans - stains and scent of any and all natural "problems" be they four or two legged!

Although I initially purchased Natures Miracle for our cat - who regurgitates regularly.
I was astounded when I used it after a visiting relative had a BAD case of diarrhea and ALL landed on our NEW cream/white carpet. (This is the truth.) I really thought the carpet would have to be replaced!
But after the initial removal of the quantity material and several applications of Natures Miracle there was and is no trace of any stain or scent!
WOW that all I could and can say!

While this may well be too late for the initial problem - there is always another one.
Natures Miracle is your answer. With my extended family issues we keep a gallon on hand at all times!

It does wonders on red wine on white shirts and even cola on this cream carpet too!

WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2010
10:43 AM

Post #7955108

Heheh..great.to know..thanks...which pet stores?

thanks again...smiles.Diana
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #7974022

I don't think I've been to a pet store recently that didn't carry Nature's Miracle--so especially if you've got one of the chains like Petco, Petsmart, etc near you they definitely ought to have it.
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2011
11:32 AM

Post #8752277

I have had really good luck with peroxide with cat urine on wood floors, just keep pouring on and letting it sit a few minutes and soak up with towels, it will bubble up as long as there is still urine.
Hetep
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 21, 2011
12:37 PM

Post #8768951

If you really can't find it, there's always Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Miracle-Stain-Odor-Remover/dp/B0002ASLMW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313955314&sr=8-1

It truly is great stuff!

Hetep
Jim_in_SC
Saint Helena Island, SC

February 4, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #8994510

Pour peroxide on the spot heavy and let it set...I used to work for a high end carpet cleaning company and this was their big secret with urine odor. It works on furniture also but you have to test a small area first to make sure the colors don't run or fade. Like kobwebs said you keep putting peroxide on it as long as it bubbles.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America