-
AuthorContent
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #7058429

I just love to walk by the butterfly gingers. The aroma just beckons one with its magnetic force. It never fails...it pulls me over every time. I'll never get tired of this one!
Pam

Thumbnail by PamelaQ
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2009
3:13 PM

Post #7058776

I have this one in about six places around the yard. Gotta love it.
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #7058975

I just planted some more I grew from these seeds. I put them down close to the bayou to make it smell nice there too. I'm sure when the mullet jump up out of the water, their noses will be wiggling to catch a sniff! Ha!
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2009
2:44 AM

Post #7061301

HAHAHA..that is funny!!
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2009
3:21 AM

Post #7065526

My hedychiums are finally starting to bloom .. I was about to give up on them! This one is Gold Flame and it has a fragrance to rival the White butterfly!

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 15, 2009
10:36 AM

Post #7066036

OOOOOOOOOOOO I like 'Gold Flame'. That yellow really gives it an elegant look. And smells great to boot. Wow! I will be on the lookout for that one.
50glee
Huntersville, NC

September 15, 2009
10:48 PM

Post #7068304

nice - gold flame huh?? now im going to be searchin for that one too! hopefully get it in before hte winter so it will bloom next summer

hope springing eternally . . .:-)
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #7068441

This has been a bad year for my hedychiums .. none of them have multiplied much at all. I was hoping I could do some trading with them but there really isn't enough to go around!

X
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #7068640

Yes and I am next on her list. LOL
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

September 25, 2009
7:28 PM

Post #7103753

Too bad there isn't a sniff button on these computers!!
JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #7103799

I have three, a white butterfly, a pale yellow with darker yellow center, and an apricot one...maybe you can tell me their names...I got them all in trades years ago and this is the first year for the apricot one and the yellow one to bloom.

Here is the Apricot...maybe something Moy? LOL

Thumbnail by JanetS

JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2009
7:43 PM

Post #7103804

All three smell heavenly! Here is the yellow..

Thumbnail by JanetS

JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #7103807

and finally the white one...

Thumbnail by JanetS

PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2009
7:52 PM

Post #7103838

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1297/

This is the white one. I'm not sure about the other two.
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #7105052

Do any have a variegated leaf?
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #7105062

I don't think I've ever seen a variegated hedychium.

X
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2009
9:26 AM

Post #7105740

Well you will soon, it is on your list of Ginger I am sending you, Dr. Moy. But it is not the only one. I got your Brug cutting yesterday, just didn't have time to get on the pc. Today is the day to go to the Jacksonville MG plant sale and my internal clock kicked off and said it is time to get crackalacken. Later.
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2009
9:28 AM

Post #7105744

Dr. Moy;

Thumbnail by kenboy

kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2009
9:30 AM

Post #7105747

Took this picture yesterday;

Thumbnail by kenboy

JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #7112715

None of those have variegated leaves, but I do have ONE that has them, just no blooms yet.
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2009
11:26 PM

Post #7114275

JanetS, the Ginger in the two pictures just above your post is variegated, Dr. Moy, look it up.
JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2009
5:02 PM

Post #7116646

Yes it is beautiful! I don't know what the variegated one I have is...it is still a small plant but it is alive!
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #7117343

Get us a picture, there is not that many variegated one so we may be able to help you out.
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2009
10:36 AM

Post #7119039

This one blooming is called 'Empress'. It has a nice scent. Not quite as strong as the butterfly ginger, but you can still smell it sometimes when walking nearby.

Thumbnail by PamelaQ

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2009
12:07 PM

Post #7119219

Wow .. is that color of the flower true?

X
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2009
12:18 PM

Post #7119252

I have just picked up 'Tai Empress' this Summer and it will not get big enough to bloom this year. The picture you have is one of the better ones, you should post it in the plant files, there is only one so far. Is the variegated one you have a Hedychium?
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2009
12:26 PM

Post #7119281

It is a nice light peachy color. The sun is hitting it here, but that is pretty true to color.
I'm not sure if that is the 'Stuttgart' Canna or the bird of paradise in the background. They're both in that vicinity. The Bird is not variegated, but could be a play of sunlight. I'll check when I get home this afternoon.
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2009
12:36 PM

Post #7119314

http://www.onlineplantguide.com/OnlinePlantGuideViewPicture.aspx?id=3805
If this link works, it shows the really true colors of the 'Empress' real good.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2009
12:52 PM

Post #7119358

That's gorgeous! I do love those butterfly hedychiums!

X
DanKistner
Winter Haven, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2009
12:55 PM

Post #7119369

Just took this picture this morning

Thumbnail by DanKistner

PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2009
12:57 PM

Post #7119373

That is gorgeous. Disney?
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2009
12:58 PM

Post #7119378

Wow .. I only have one of the bottle brush, the peach delight. Is there a true red hedychium?
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #7119385

http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Red Ginger Lily.html

pretty close...
DanKistner
Winter Haven, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #7119387

Not sure, it is funny because although this one is orange, it was ID'ed as Hedychium Coccinium. But I have wondered what the difference between the Coccinium and the Disney were?
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2009
1:09 PM

Post #7119407

OMG - WANT!!!!!!

X
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2009
1:11 PM

Post #7119413

Disney is one of the coccinium I think there are five all together. I am having problems getting them strait.
DanKistner
Winter Haven, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2009
1:11 PM

Post #7119416

I got one stalk from a friend at the beginning of August, now I have probably 10 stalks and 2 blooms!
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2009
1:17 PM

Post #7119437

From all I've read, it seems Hedychium greenii is the closest we can get to Hedychium marginata. (Maybe the same thing????)
http://www.gingersrus.com/cart/index.php?productID=3052
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2009
1:18 PM

Post #7119439

X I do not think that 'Peach Delight' is a bottle brush.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2009
1:24 PM

Post #7119468

You're right .. I just looked at the pictures again.

X
JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 1, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #7122071

Okay that one http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7119314
looks like my apricot colored one...here a little better picture...I only had one bloom and it was almost done before I realized it was blooming...

Thumbnail by JanetS

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2009
11:55 AM

Post #7122838

Good morning, been enjoying the 'aroma' of the hedys here.
End of the blooming period for my hedys. But to share with you a pic of Hedy Augustus Peach taking over a corner of the house.
You should see butterflies fighting over the blooms.

Jaye

Thumbnail by heavenscape

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2009
11:59 AM

Post #7122849

Tai Emperor finally bloomed this year.

Thumbnail by heavenscape

PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2009
11:59 AM

Post #7122850

heavenscape,
We have 'Heady hedys'! Ha...Ha...Ha!!

Janets,
Yours does look like the same color. Very Pretty! Took a stroll yesterday when the scents drifted across the yard and beckeoned once again. Ahhhh...the gingers...

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2009
12:03 PM

Post #7122854

Hehehehe..
now you know, once you've smell a hedy.. you'll be heady with growing more!

This I got from eBay 5 years ago. Love the intensity of the color.
"Orange Spice"

Thumbnail by heavenscape

PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2009
12:03 PM

Post #7122855

I can see the 'Tai Emporer' is more on the pink side than 'Empress'. Nice..The Augustus Peach is a really beautiful display on the corner.
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2009
12:04 PM

Post #7122861

I think that will go on my 'Sure need that' list. I like that orange.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2009
12:08 PM

Post #7122873

Pamela, I was *un*lucky to be living close to Stokes in New Iberia, La. Got hooked to hedys in the late 90's and never quit since I moved here 7 years ago.
Praise the Lord for hardy hedys!!
My favorite of all is still Pink V.

Thanks for allowing me to share these pics.

Thumbnail by heavenscape

PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2009
12:15 PM

Post #7122886

OOOOOOOOOOOOO...that is now on my list too. Please share all the pics you want here. I enjoy seeing the all the variations out there.
JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 1, 2009
12:51 PM

Post #7122975

Oh, I love those darker colors...I am going to have to "expand" my inventory...lol They do smell wonderful. I was trying to remember, but I think in the evening it is more intense...I know the white one and the yellow one always get my attention when I head out the bakc door in the afternoons.
TexasJan
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
12:41 AM

Post #7483711

I'm new to Dave's Garden and have just been looking at all these beautiful views of Gingers Mine have died back now and hopefully our unexpected 20 degree weather didn't kill them off. When we bought this house, there was a small group of white Gingers that smell heavenly and it has really spread. Then several years ago, a new group began, without any help from me, on the other side of the yard and is now taking over that area as it gets more sun than the original group. My problem is that they get so tall they fall over. I've tried tying them up, but they're so heavy that that doesn't always work. How do all of you keep yours from falling over? Mine get about 10 feet tall. Can I trim them shorter or would that keep them from blooming? Thanks for any suggestions. I can hardly wait to enjoy them again this coming summer.

I also have another shorter variety that has varigated leaves and just a few pale pink flowers. It has always been evergreen, but this extremely cold weather killed it off. Do you think it'll come back? Should I cut off all the dead leaves or wait until spring?
JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2010
3:09 AM

Post #7484291

I am sure someone will help with answers...I would if I knew the answers...welcome to DG...hope you enjoy it as much as I have!
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2010
3:19 AM

Post #7484319

Hi,

Welcome to Daves! I'm thinking the white ones you mentioned are Hedychium coronarium, white butterfly ginger. In my experience, hedychiums do best in full sun. When I've had them in shade or partial shade, the same thing was happening to me, getting way too tall and flopping over.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2010
1:52 PM

Post #7485056

TexasJan, White Butterfly is prone to falling over. More sun will help but does not always fix the problem. There are lots of other Hedychiums that do not fall but none that have as strong a smell as coronarium. There is know way of knowing about your other Ginger, without knowing what Ginger it is, do you have pictures? I have planted about 60 new Gingers this last year in zone 8 and we got down to 9F, so I am just hoping most will make it. You live in an area of Texas where nurserys sell a goodly number of Gingers. A nursery near me only sells one and thinks it is the only one that will grow here. They were shocked to here that I have over a hundred different gingers planted in the ground, or at least I did before the last freeze. Google Gingers of Texas, they are not that far from you.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2010
2:25 PM

Post #7485159

Ken, I don't think the hedychiums will have any problems with the low temps .. when I checked after our epic freeze, all of mine were still firm with no mush .. my curcuma in the back yard are mushy on the top .. hopefully farther down some will be ok .. my costus that are in the ground are probably toast .. luckily i never got around to putting most of them in the ground and they are safely nestled in the greenhouse.

The only time I've ever had w-butterfly flop is when they were in shade. How deep do you plant yours?

X
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #7485271

I plant my as deep as I can but I compost like a crazy guy and the soil is very loose and the Hedychiums seem to keep coming to the top. I have not checked but think the Hedychiums are fine but I planted over 60 new Gingers last year and freshly planted ones may have trouble. I planted lots of Costus and because I was given some for free, I took a chance on some that were border line hardy in my area. We are zone 8 and I planted several that were rated 8b, only time will tell.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
3:05 PM

Post #7485287

X, I saw this on in HI and I was ready to snitch a piece except it has no odor at all, nada, zero. Very pretty but not worth getting caught snitching.

Thumbnail by ardesia

kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2010
3:15 PM

Post #7485311

Does this plant have a name?
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #7485536

Ardesia I think I may have that - I believe it's Alpinia purpurata .. I collected some starts in my step mothers yard a few years ago .. since they were not zoned for 8 I kept them in a pot .. they never really liked the pot and kind of faded away and the pot got lost in the shuffle in the greenhouse .. a few months ago I saw them sprouting again. The bad thing is, alpina's, if that's what it is, only blooms on old wood. I'll stick them in the ground this year and see what comes up .. if it is that I'll be happy to send you some.

Forgot to add that I also had a nice Alpinia zerumbet I received in a trade .. again, wrong zone, old wood so I gave it to my step mother (lives in Ft. Lauderdale). I wish we could grow alpinias in my zone.

X

This message was edited Jan 22, 2010 11:25 AM
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #7485846

The AZ's do fine for me X, can't you find a protected spot where they could be kept warm and toasty? Mine are at the base of a Live Oak. I find when they do brown off like they have again this year, I just trim off the tops of the stalks; usually the bottoms are still green. I have actually gotten these half stalks to bloom in the past and plenty of new growth covers the mutilated parts.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7485878

I'll definitely give it a try .. I'm a zone pusher, but the alpinias are zoned 10 or better so I didn't even bother.

X
TexasJan
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2010
3:01 AM

Post #7487240

Thanks for the info on my White Butterfly gingers. Now I know that my main problem is that one group is in total shade and the other only has sun for about half a day. They do bloom and they smell wonderful so I'll come up with some way to coral them so they don't fall over. I'm assuming that I can also transplant some of them fairly easily into a sunnier location. I have a lot to learn about gingers. Thanks again for your suggestions.
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2010
10:52 AM

Post #7487839

Hi TexasJan!
Mine are in the shade also. They grow tall and straight until after they bloom, then they fall over. That's a good time to go ahead and cut them, as they are through blooming. The next blooms will come from the the next stalk that shoots up. I think maybe Mother Nature lets them fall over like that to let the new forming seeds get close to the ground to fall off, sprout and start the cycle all over again. Mine have also always come back after each cold winter with even more growth than the previous year. They transplant real easy, too.
Good luck with yours. The aromas are so worth having them all over!
Pam
TexasJan
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2010
5:42 PM

Post #7488771

Thanks, Pamela. I just assumed that, like bulbs, I needed to leave the stalks on until they died a natural death in the winter. As I mentioned, I inherited these gingers when we bought the house. I love them, but just not sure what to do with them. Everyone has been so helpful with their knowledge. I really appreciate it.

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2010
3:54 AM

Post #7504085

I am very encouraged after reading this thread. Mine got damaged in the freeze, but maybe they will come back in the Spring. My variagated were in the ground, and the four white butterfly gingers are in pots. I should have brought them in.

Just about everything in the garden is damaged. Hopefully Spring will bring a beautiful surprise!

Where do y'all get your gingers?

Thanks,
Jeanne
TexasJan
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #7504192

Jeanne, my white butterfly gingers were here when we bought the house 6 years ago. They have multiplied and now are large clumps. A couple of years ago birds or squirrels spread some of the seeds clear across the yard and now I have another large clump of gingers over there. All of them are really pitiful looking at the moment because of our 20 degree nights during the big freeze. However, mine do die out every winter and come back in the spring bigger than ever. I hope they'll do the same this year.

I have a beautiful varigated ginger that I bought at Wal-Mart. It has always stayed green throughout the winter, but it's as dead looking as the butterfly gingers now. I don't know if it'll come back in the spring or not. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Like you, I have a lot of damage this winter from the freeze. My palms look dead and the gingers are just a pile of brown leaves. Surprisingly, my roses kept their blooms and look as if they never even got cold. I even have buds that are still opening. It's just amazing. I, too, hope spring surprises us and brings our ruined plants back to life. I'm sure not going to be digging anything up until I know for absolute sure that its dead!!

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2010
4:38 AM

Post #7504199

For SURE!

It's really SAD at the moment tho. Nothing but Brown everywhere. I sure hope they do come back!

Jeanne
TexasJan
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2010
5:24 AM

Post #7504273

Amen to the SAD...
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2010
1:12 PM

Post #7504711

http://www.gingersoftexas.com/

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/6155/

I bought from here before and they all are doing fine.

Good luck with your gingers Jeanne that were in the pot. I hope those do okay, since they weren't in the ground. Let us know!

Pam
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2010
1:40 PM

Post #7504772

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2320/
http://www.wildgingerfarm.com/HardyGinger.htm#schombugkii

I broke down and decided to order the hedichium greenii and while looking I saw this gorgeous ginger...well...somehow my finger made it get on my order too. Oh my!!
I ordered this and the greenii from the link above.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2010 7:40 AM

This message was edited Jan 28, 2010 7:41 AM
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2010
2:09 PM

Post #7504834

Gingers in pots suffer much more than ones in the ground. The White Butterfly runs along close to the top and are always moving. Keeping them in pots is so much work, keeping them in the pot. The variegated Ginger TexasJan is talking about, is probably a Shell Ginger and will probably come back just fine but it blooms on last years growth so that won't happen but up here it is grown as a foliage plant anyway.

Noreen, of Gingers of Texas is a sweet person and it is worth the trip just to meet her. She is very knowledgeable and has a goodly number of gingers, mostly in pots under giant Oak trees. She is just outside Cleveland Texas. I would guess most of hers got hit by the freeze also but should be just fine. I am hoping to make some trades with her for some of my double Brugs for some of her Gingers.

For those of you in deep south Texas that got a frees down to 20F for one night, you don't have anything to worry about. Most Gingers can take that with no problem. We got down to 9F and I am sure I lost several that were rated a half zone higher than we are here. I had hoped with mulching I could push the zone and then we get a record breaking freeze. Oh well, such is life.

Thumbnail by kenboy

kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2010
2:18 PM

Post #7504870

I love the Globbas. I now have four different ones. They are the easiest Ginger to get new plants from. They have little bulblets just behind the blooms and they just fall off and start new plants. If you pick them off and put in starter flats they are real easy to grow.

Thumbnail by kenboy

PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2010
2:23 PM

Post #7504885

I plan to put the Globbas down in a marshy area by the bayou and just watch them go bonkers. I already planted some trial butterfly gingers in that area last year, and even when it would temporarily flood with brackish water, they still looked great. I noticed the literature said the Globbas liked a moist area, so we'll see.
TexasJan
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2010
8:23 PM

Post #7505992

Kenboy, yes I just found out on one of these threads that my varigated ginger is a shell ginger. Gosh I'm learning so much from all of you that I can hardly wait for spring and warmer weather to get here and get started again.

We were in the low 20s for about 4 nights. Do you think my varigated shell will make it? You may have answered this question for me on another thread that we've both been posting on.

I'm finding out there are so many beautiful gingers that I've just got to get some more varieties. Right now I have the white butterlies and the varigated shell. I just didn't know what I had until about a week ago when I found Daves Garden and all of you experienced gardeners.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2010
8:50 PM

Post #7506066

As Ken had noticed, it seems no matter how deep you plant gingers the rhizomes always come to the surface. Those exposed probably won't, but ones that are deeper and not exposed should be alright since in your zone the freezes you have aren't long enough to cool the ground below 45 - 50 degrees.

X
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2010
11:09 PM

Post #7506461

I sure hope your Shell Ginger makes it, I have several and it got a lot colder here and I am pretty sure mine are fine.

Thumbnail by kenboy

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2010
4:53 AM

Post #7507645

I too appreciate all of the encouragement. I sure hope they make it too! As much as I like Hardy Hibiscus, I sure love the fragrance of White Ginger better! haha
I'm even thinking of ordering some White Ginger perfume so I can just sit and sniff it until Spring! HAHA!

(My Mom has a chemical sensitivity, so I can't wear it around her...that's why I have to just Sniff it!)

Jeanne
TexasJan
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2010
7:09 AM

Post #7507841

Jeanne, on one of the warm winter days, you could spray on your White Ginger perfume, pour yourself a glass of wine, pull up a chair, and sit by your pots of dried White Butterflies pretending they're still green, beautiful, and that the glorious scent is coming from them instead of you. A good can of green spray paint would finish the illusion. LOL I'm a night owl; its getting late and I'm getting silly. Think its time to call it a night.

Just remember, the chances are good that we'll have our beautiful gingers back in the spring. If the ones in your pots don't make it, the ones you plant in the ground this spring will grow and bring all the joy back. Kenboy has said he believes they'll make it through the winter and I'm believing him!

Goodnight...
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2010
6:35 PM

Post #7509217

Jan, spray paint's a great idea! haha. I'll have to order the perfume...

I'm praying and believing with you and Ken also, that they WILL come back!

I got pictures out yesterday and looked at them. The yard was so full I guess it did need cutting back a little.

Jeanne

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America