Heady aromas........

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

I just love to walk by the butterfly gingers. The aroma just beckons one with its magnetic force. It never fails....it pulls me over every time. I'll never get tired of this one!
Pam

Thumbnail by PamelaQ
Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

I have this one in about six places around the yard. Gotta love it.

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

I just planted some more I grew from these seeds. I put them down close to the bayou to make it smell nice there too. I'm sure when the mullet jump up out of the water, their noses will be wiggling to catch a sniff! Ha!

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

HAHAHA..that is funny!!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

My hedychiums are finally starting to bloom .. I was about to give up on them! This one is Gold Flame and it has a fragrance to rival the White butterfly!

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

OOOOOOOOOOOO I like 'Gold Flame'. That yellow really gives it an elegant look. And smells great to boot. Wow! I will be on the lookout for that one.

Huntersville, NC

nice - gold flame huh?? now im going to be searchin for that one too! hopefully get it in before hte winter so it will bloom next summer

hope springing eternally . . .^_^

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

This has been a bad year for my hedychiums .. none of them have multiplied much at all. I was hoping I could do some trading with them but there really isn't enough to go around!

X

Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes and I am next on her list. LOL

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

Too bad there isn't a sniff button on these computers!!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I have three, a white butterfly, a pale yellow with darker yellow center, and an apricot one...maybe you can tell me their names....I got them all in trades years ago and this is the first year for the apricot one and the yellow one to bloom.

Here is the Apricot....maybe something Moy? LOL

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

All three smell heavenly! Here is the yellow..

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

and finally the white one...

Thumbnail by JanetS
Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1297/

This is the white one. I'm not sure about the other two.

Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

Do any have a variegated leaf?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I don't think I've ever seen a variegated hedychium.

X

Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

Well you will soon, it is on your list of Ginger I am sending you, Dr. Moy. But it is not the only one. I got your Brug cutting yesterday, just didn't have time to get on the pc. Today is the day to go to the Jacksonville MG plant sale and my internal clock kicked off and said it is time to get crackalacken. Later.

Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

Dr. Moy;

Thumbnail by kenboy
Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

Took this picture yesterday;

Thumbnail by kenboy
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

None of those have variegated leaves, but I do have ONE that has them, just no blooms yet.

Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

JanetS, the Ginger in the two pictures just above your post is variegated, Dr. Moy, look it up.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes it is beautiful! I don't know what the variegated one I have is...it is still a small plant but it is alive!

Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

Get us a picture, there is not that many variegated one so we may be able to help you out.

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

This one blooming is called 'Empress'. It has a nice scent. Not quite as strong as the butterfly ginger, but you can still smell it sometimes when walking nearby.

Thumbnail by PamelaQ
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Wow .. is that color of the flower true?

X

Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

I have just picked up 'Tai Empress' this Summer and it will not get big enough to bloom this year. The picture you have is one of the better ones, you should post it in the plant files, there is only one so far. Is the variegated one you have a Hedychium?

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

It is a nice light peachy color. The sun is hitting it here, but that is pretty true to color.
I'm not sure if that is the 'Stuttgart' Canna or the bird of paradise in the background. They're both in that vicinity. The Bird is not variegated, but could be a play of sunlight. I'll check when I get home this afternoon.

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

http://www.onlineplantguide.com/OnlinePlantGuideViewPicture.aspx?id=3805
If this link works, it shows the really true colors of the 'Empress' real good.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

That's gorgeous! I do love those butterfly hedychiums!

X

Winter Haven, FL(Zone 9b)

Just took this picture this morning

Thumbnail by DanKistner
Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

That is gorgeous. Disney?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Wow .. I only have one of the bottle brush, the peach delight. Is there a true red hedychium?

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Red%20Ginger%20Lily.html

pretty close.....

Not sure, it is funny because although this one is orange, it was ID'ed as Hedychium Coccinium. But I have wondered what the difference between the Coccinium and the Disney were?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

OMG - WANT!!!!!!

X

Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

Disney is one of the coccinium I think there are five all together. I am having problems getting them strait.

I got one stalk from a friend at the beginning of August, now I have probably 10 stalks and 2 blooms!

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

From all I've read, it seems Hedychium greenii is the closest we can get to Hedychium marginata. (Maybe the same thing????)
http://www.gingersrus.com/cart/index.php?productID=3052

Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

X I do not think that 'Peach Delight' is a bottle brush.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

You're right .. I just looked at the pictures again.

X

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.