Photo by Melody

Article: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Are on the Move!: Rubythroated Hummingbirds

Communities > Forums > Article: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Are on the Move!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Are on the Move!Replies: 1, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
txaggiegal
Belton, TX

September 13, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #7059460

from Mr. txaggiegal. Great article, thank you. My wife has been planting for humming birds and butterflys for many years and we really enjoy watching them. This year we have a female ruby that has adopted a perch in a climbing rose that has a view of the two feeders, the aniscanthus, the mexican fire bush (h. patens), and two salvias. She fiercly defends the feeders from the rest of the passing hummers. She drives off larger males and all comers who try to feed. She will tolerate others on the salvias and anisacanthus but will try to drive them off from the fire bush but not very successful. I watched her dog fight with a larger male and a female trying to get to the feeders for two days and it was impressive. High speed impacts, posturing, and no stopping (except to recharge at the feeder). Hours of entertainment! I can't imagine a feeder with multiple hummers at the same time.

p.s. sorry, I ment this to be a reply to hummingbirds of the move

This message was edited Sep 13, 2009 2:07 PM

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #7060059

How interesting that she will tolerate others on some of the plants but not others. Always good to hear what is their favorites.

No worries about the content of the post, we love to hear about them and the plants they love!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Are on the Move! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
hummingbirds Jiny 17 Sep 14, 2009 3:20 PM
Good article! tommyr2006 3 Sep 13, 2009 9:40 PM
Mystery solved! Rowan_linnea 1 Sep 13, 2009 5:38 PM
Great article! pelletory 5 Sep 14, 2009 3:18 PM
Wonderful list of hummer-friendly plants CapeCodGardener 5 Sep 17, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America