Photo by Melody

Article: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Are on the Move!: Wonderful list of hummer-friendly plants

Communities > Forums > Article: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Are on the Move!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Are on the Move!Replies: 5, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #7059742

Thank you , Mrs. Ed, for the useful plant list! Like you, I have faithfully put out feeders in the summer but here on Cape Cod I usually don't see hummers around until the fall migration. But this summer I planted some scarlet runner bean vines on a trellis right outside my kitchen window. Ruby-Throated Hummers came all July and August.
In a previous life I lived in Central Coast California, and had two Anna's Hummingibrds, one in my front, and one in my back patio. They were both quite territorial and didn't much like it when I would go out to water my hanging baskets of fuchsias and begonias! They would dart angrily around me and scold me for my temerity with the watering wand!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #7060047

Silly Anna's!!!

So glad you had success with the runner beans. I'm for sure adding the purple hyacinth beans next year.
Dollykat
Lucasville, OH

September 14, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #7063020

Thanks for the article and the list. I've grown Black and Blue salvia as an annual for three years, but I've noticed more hummingbird activity on them this year than ever before. One female ruby-throated (the only kind I see) was no more than six inches from my hand as I was watering one of the b and b salvias recently. I froze until she finished dining, so I was able to observe her closely for a good long time. What fun!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2009
4:35 PM

Post #7063123

Nice! That's so fun when they are close to you. Glad you enjoyed the article.
gazergirl
Mandeville, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 17, 2009
9:10 AM

Post #7073210

I also have the Black and Blue salvia, which is a hummer favorite. They also prefer red yucca. I currently live in New Orleans, which is a very urban environment, and I don't see hummers except during migration. There was a period of several years after 2004, when 4 hurricanes hit the Florida coast, and in 2005 when Katrina and Rita decimated the Louisiana coast, that I saw NO hummingbirds during migration. It was heartbreaking. Last year, 2008, was the first time I spotted hummingbirds in my garden. It was spring, and they were enjoying the blossoms on my Meyers Lemon. YaHoo.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2009
12:25 PM

Post #7073447

I've heard lots of reports about how Katrina took out so many plants. It will be interesting to see how long it takes the ecosystem to recover.

There's an interesting story about west coast hummingbirds. After the eruption of Mt. St. Helens, workers in bright orange vests were on the mountainside. They were buzzed by lots of hummingbirds, thinking they were flowers. Interesting that even though there was so much decimation, the birds were in the same spots looking for food.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Are on the Move! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
hummingbirds Jiny 17 Sep 14, 2009 3:20 PM
Good article! tommyr2006 3 Sep 13, 2009 9:40 PM
Mystery solved! Rowan_linnea 1 Sep 13, 2009 5:38 PM
Rubythroated Hummingbirds txaggiegal 1 Sep 13, 2009 9:40 PM
Great article! pelletory 5 Sep 14, 2009 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America