Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: Newbee to seeds needs help please!

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 3, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #7060876

This will be my first try at planting seeds for some of my annuals and perennials. Is it easier to start off with seeds that I sow directly into ground (we are the rain capital of the world :) or should I start some indoors. It has been raining here for 4 days and is forecasted to rain everyday until next Friday. Hmm.. wouldn't my seeds wash away? Of course we are just coming out of a drought, so who can tell about the weather if it is going to rain or not.

I have been doing some extensive research and reading, but all the info is getting a bit much for me.

My zone is southern 8/b 9/a (I'm right on the line) It is very warm here most of the time, with the exception of a few freezing days in Feb/March, I think. My last predicted frost is March 18th.

I have a shop that is right off the back of my house.(Actually an enclosed porch) It is air conditioned/heated , just like the rest of the house. Usually stays around 75 degrees. It has 6 flush mount fluorescent ceiling lights. Each one is 4ft x 2ft.

Also about 6 sets of shelving. The shelves are about 4ft wide x 2ft.deep. There are four shelves on each, about 24" apart. The shelves have holes in them and are pvc, so watering directly on them would not be a problem. (Similar photo of them at the bottom of post.) They can be separated if I would need to suspend them under the ceiling lights from chains. Or I think there is enough room between them to hang individual shop lights if necessary.

The shop also has 6, 4ft wide x 3 ft tall windows. 2 of them are facing west and 4 of them are facing north. I can also add shelves under the windows to sit the trays on when or if necessary.

I also have a shade house(tent) outside with black shade screen and a tan vinyl roof if that could be of any use. With the screening it prevents bugs from bothering them and with the tan top during sunny days it has good light glow in it.

So now here are my questions LOL if you could help me.

If you were new to seeds, how many would you try to start with (varieties). Should I sow outdoor seeds? Should I start some inside?

So many seeds, ,,,

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions.

Debbie

Thumbnail by Debbie2007
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2009
1:16 AM

Post #7060900

This is a photo similar to my shade canopy.

Thumbnail by Debbie2007
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #7072022

Oh, Debbie, you certainly should be able to start some seeds! It sounds like you have the facilities. Now, if you are organized and can remember to water, you'll be in business! (-:

I of course, am no expert on seed starting, but I think on the other thread where you edited out your post, someone mentioned the so called 'cole crops' like kale, etc. which like cool growing conditions and would be good to start now if you want some produce later in the fall.

For starters, here's an article I found which talks about late summer seeds to start and you might want to take a look: http://growlively.typepad.com/growlively/2009/08/time-to-start-fall-vegetable-seeds.html

Many of those can be started outside if you can maintain moist and correct growing conditions. Some people find that if they start these sorts of seeds in a pot or handy container they can 'monitor' the growing conditions a little bit better (take them in on super hot days, keep them in the shade, protect the seeds from torrential downpours, move them around, etc.)

And here is a good overview of different seed starting 'philosophies that may guide you for your particular circumstances: http://www.robsplants.com/seed/starting.php

As for general seed starting for next spring's flowers, I suggest you carefully read the backs of your seed packets for instructions on each different seed. And then if you have additional questions about each particular plant you want to grow, make a new thread (or search DG) for the answers for each different plant. It is hard to generalize as each has it's own germination requirement, as you probably have found out. And many gardeners who start seeds are like me and like to try several different ways/methods, even for the same seed. Sometimes you just have to give it a try (with a half packet of seeds, and try another way later, for instance.)

Some perennials require 'cold treatment' or 'scarification' before they will grow and you will want to look into the "Deno Method' and some other ways to provide cold treatment (I'm not sure how cold it gets in winter where you are).

And you will no doubt want to start some seeds after Christmas using the Wintersowing Method (particularly perennials). There is a forum devoted to this method and those posters are eager to answer questions. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/coldsow/all/

And you may want to ask DGers in your part of the country (on the South forum, for example) when they like to start their different seeds.

Anyway, good luck with your project. We will want to see lots of photos as you get your seeds started and into the garden! t.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2009 8:04 PM
Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 17, 2009
12:15 AM

Post #7072125

tabasco I can't thank you enough for all of the info and the links. I'm kinda scared to get started, but I'm also excited. Thanks again so very much.

Debbie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America