Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: What I did this Summer. Essay time!

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 111, Views: 1,015
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

September 14, 2009
9:50 AM

Post #7061991

There are a total of 208 votes:

I re-worked an area that has been naggging me for years. (what?)
(38 votes, 18%)
Red dot

I added a water feature. (large or small?)
(16 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Everything was pretty much the same here.
(42 votes, 20%)
Red dot

I fought more pests this summer. (bugs, deer, weeds?)
(34 votes, 16%)
Red dot

I finally obtained a plant that I've been wanting for years. (what was it?)
(7 votes, 3%)
Red dot

I had the best/worst vegetable garden ever!
(30 votes, 14%)
Red dot

None of the above! (tell us!)
(41 votes, 19%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Joy

Joy
Kalama, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2009
10:00 AM

Post #7062003

Wow! I'm the first Really? That's a first.
Everything was pretty much the same here. But I did aquire a lot of new plants. As always. :-)

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2009
11:45 AM

Post #7062140

Decided to add compost to all my flower beds and refresh the pine straw. Two truckloads of compost and 250 bags of mulch + 20 bales later I'm through. There was also a lot of cutting back and weeding going on.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

September 14, 2009
12:00 PM

Post #7062158

I voted none of the above when, actually, most of the above would have been more appropriate. I have had some of the same, some new plants I've not grown before, my beans and corn did miserably, but my tomatoes grew well, and we're now battling Yellow Jackets, so that's been my summer garden!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2009
12:08 PM

Post #7062176

I voted non also when it could have been most...battled JB's forever and still am...put in a couple new gardens, obtained more plants, more tropicals, my tomatoes did lousy.

This is what I had been doing the past week...today gets newspapers put down and a thick bed of shredded leaves and the rest of it will get done in spring.

Thumbnail by cececoogan
Click the image for an enlarged view.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2009
12:14 PM

Post #7062190

Vegies here... not best/not worst. Most fun, most unusual. A new unorthodox means of growing and I am still getting tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and okra. The vegies even survived my absence while on vacation. With some tweaking, I am looking forward to next summer.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2009
12:17 PM

Post #7062199

I have the first vote for adding a water feature. I'd say large...14X23. :o)
Love to watch the fish...and listen to the waterfall.

Thumbnail by joycet

drivenbonkers
Perth,, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2009
1:03 PM

Post #7062346

I added a pond this year!

The pond was situated near the greenhouse, and I sacrificed two square foot blocks of the garden.

Hand dug, the pond measures 4 feet wide, 8 feet long and two and a half feet deep. Found a pond liner on clearance. Used recycled materials to make the upright edges and a raised area houses a fountain and seat on one end of the pond. The 6" wide board along the edges provides the resident frogs a place to sun themselves

The total length of the pond/bench/fountain is 10 feet. I used the recycled pine wainscotting and chair rail from our kitchen reno to cover up the fountain/seat.

The fountain was lined with the scrap from the pond, and some stones, from the rockpile, gravel pinched from the greenhouse floor and 4 ceramic pots from the dollar store make up the fountain. A length of hose connected to a pump moves the water up through the stack of ceramic pots. A recycled pop bottle is the spillway from the fountain back into the pond.

Hens'n'chicks plucked from the garden have been happy in the fountain.

It's SO easy to get distracted by at the pond... the sound of running water, birds and the bullfrog singing...
sasha10
Valsolda
Italy
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #7062406

I was fighting pests like spider mites, mealy bugs etc. There were more than usual, but this year the garden center had the right insecticides, so getting rid of them was much easier.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 14, 2009
1:34 PM

Post #7062451

I had two of these - I voted for Finally found a plant I've been looking for! but also fixed an area that's been bugging me for years.

I found a Cane Begonia - huge leaves, green with small white splashes, and the leaves are about the size of a man's hand. Everyone tries "palm off" and much much smaller cousin of this plant. I finally got it from a DG'er. It's a tropical house plant, and will grow 5' or taller.

I got the north side of my house grassed-in. I know - people will say they get rid of their grass, but it's a tiny sloped plot, and not much will grow there. I put in Canada Perfect Grass, which is supposed to grow on cement lol
I also put in some garden lights and fairy lights there, planted some cotoneaster shrubs, mint, and Waterton Mock Orange bush. Every year from now on, I'm going to plant some annuals around the bushes, too.
It's also where I put my gardening/potting table. Now...if I could only get my DH to help me put some shelves on the table, I'd be happy.
Oh yeah - have a small bench there, for sitting on, but it's really just decor, cuz it's too tiny an area to really sit and enjoy - mostly I just walk on the stepping stones to the big laying frog I have at the end :-)
I guess I should tell you the size of it - about 120 sq ft LOL Kinda looks like a bowling alley, so that's why I'm pleased to have it prettier! LOL

~Susan~
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #7062474

I voted new water feature here. It's a little one but it makes a wonderful sound and the birds love it.

Thumbnail by staceysmom

sharonf1
Lake in the Hills, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2009
1:41 PM

Post #7062480

Reworked the front area of the house - years of events have changed the planting/bed outline repeatedly and plant additions were made for each outline. Took the time this year to unify them. In the back, a few scrub trees were removed in the spring and discovered an entire stretch of "sunny" that wasn't there before.

~Sharon

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #7062525

My vote was none of the above...when in reality, it is a bit of all of the above. I have decided to re-work all of my beds. It has been 8 years since I first started planting them, I think that maybe I finally have an idea what I want them to look like...LOL. Planting more of the things I truly love and clearing out some stuff that either does not do well, or that I just don't care for as much as I thought. Going for more low maintenance, drought tolerant plantings also.
Time to clean the pond...10'x16'x4' and decide on finishing touches. Fighting white flies and not sure who is winning, grin.

Thank goodness it is getting a little cooler.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #7062646

I voted "other" because I am making a brand new bed this fall: A "Dakota Garden," in honor of my parents who hailed from the Peace Garden State. (There goes more grass.) It's been a lot of fun researching and locating perennials and seeds with "Dakota" or "prairie" in their names, and I even found an iris named "Dorothy Lee" which combines my parents' first names! How cool is that!!
(At first I wanted to check "worst vegetable garden ever" because of all the fungus diseases, but I decided to focus on the positive--my new Dakota Garden!)

Thumbnail by CapeCodGardener

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #7062656

The above pictures are all so nice!
I voted none of the above because I did little bits of all of the above, but feel I mostly focused on taking better care of what I already have- catching up some with new acquisitions from the last couple years of new DG swapping. So-"-improving methods/ technique"---?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #7062680

I think your Dakota Garden idea is very special. Congrats on finding such a special Iris.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 14, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #7063069

Definitely re-working for me. Rip out old deck, new patio, new arbour with paths and new dahlia bed (big surprise). LUV the water features! Pic please drivenbonkers. CCG do you have a plant list for your 'Dakota Garden' posted somewhere? Thanks.
Pughbear7
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 6b)

September 14, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #7063243

I managed to get last years daylilies in the ground in a new bed. I also made major changes yo the front yard. we had 2 huge trees removed due to winter damage. a river birch tht must have been 20-30 years old.Also removed the silver maple out of the back yard. it was huge probably 3 - 4 ft across. its roots were into the foundation.
we had a french drain installed on the north side of the house. all our projects have been needed to be done for many years before we bought it last year. we did manage to save the huge carolina jsmine.
I expect it will be a nice compete landscap along with my little small plants I grow to sell. i call it the undergroth department. I have done a lot of seedlings as well as some propagtion of key plants I leke to have. Its a battle but once its compete it will be a lot easier to keep up I have some pics if snyone wants to see them. I made before photo's right after we bought th house.
Dave
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 14, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #7063264

yes please. Pics please. Sad about the big trees but it has to be done when they reach the end of they're life or became harmful.
wonderearth
Santa Cruz, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #7063273

I voted none of the above. We actually put down about 10sq ft sod in our tiny back yard patio for the baby to crawl on. it is wonderful, makes it so much cooler. got rid of all the rock and it is wonderful.
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #7063284

CCG, I hope you're including a Peace rose in your garden. Sigh, I love them, but can't grow them here.

They really should have a "check all that apply" option. I reclaimed another grassy area for my garden, although I haven't done much with it besides get rid of the grass (large planters and a shade tree are on the list of things to do), totally neglected the front yard and it's overgrown flowerbeds (next year, for sure!). Had some really good results with some of my flowers after a slow start and some really bad results with the veggies. And the last month has been a nightmare fighting wasps, yellow jackets and grasshoppers. And I have to keep telling the bees that if they won't let me water, they won't have any flowers (they don't listen worth a darn, darn it!)

And I'm warning you all: I'm stealing ideas right and left here! I love staceysmom's pergola and I'm trying to figure out just how cececoogan made that plant stand that looks like 4x4's tied together. Heh, heh, more pictures, please! :-)
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 14, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #7063293

I hear you woofie. 'Idea thievery is the highest form of complement' IMPO
charlenesplants
Buffalo, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #7063299

I had a plague of grasshoppers, a drought and weeks on end of triple digits. So, guess what I did? You guessed it, I fought a sometimes losing battle to keep my plants alive.

I put up shade cloth where I could and watered plants until I was blue in the face.

I broke down and put sevin spray on the grasshoppers, but guess what? They are back again now. As soon as the triple digits receded and we got some rain, the grasshoppers returned and seem to have become giants and have multiplied.

Thank the Good Lord above for having mercy on us and letting it cool off a little and giving us some rain. My fall natives are looking better than my summer flowers. He tests us, but then he rewards us!!

Charlene
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 14, 2009
7:45 PM

Post #7063743

I had the worst vegetable garden ever. It was so bad that I only got one zucchini (zucchina? zucchino?), bell peppers were about the size of walnuts, no pumpkins, no Armenian cucumbers, maybe 3 Japanese cucumbers, and the mockingbirds ruined 1/3 of the tomatoes. The banana peppers were o.k. and that was it.

This message was edited Sep 15, 2009 2:07 PM
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2009
8:00 PM

Post #7063793

Didn't vote but have done probably all of the above. LOL Started building our patio, put in our water fountain ,a walk way and flower beds around the patio.Aquired new plants also. Still working on it too !
Katlian
Carson City, NV
(Zone 6b)

September 14, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #7063902

This has been the year of the pill bug in my garden. They are cute and harmless when there are just a few but their tastes turn to seedlings and tomatoes and strawberries when there are thousands in each bed. We have easily squished one to two thousand each week and we're still over run. They're like weird little locusts.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2009
8:38 PM

Post #7063960

Woofie I couldn't for the life of me figure out what plant stand? had to go look at my own picture again. I just bought that yesterday at nearby towns flea market. Its a solar light with clay pots screwed on the bottom and fake flowers in it I'll give you a closer look The whole bottom is wrapper with real thick rope and probably glued also in various places. Feel free to copy it. I'm not so creative I need to buy it to have it. the 4x4's are of 4 different heights. I can have dh measure it for you if you'd like.

This message was edited Sep 14, 2009 3:41 PM

Thumbnail by cececoogan

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2009
8:55 PM

Post #7064027

I reworked an area, but it hasn't been nagging me for years since I just moved here last September. This place is definitely in need of a major overhaul, but I'm taking it one bed at a time.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2009
9:00 PM

Post #7064036

Thx cececoogan. I look at your photo twice for that and missed seeing it. Clever idea. We just had a bunch of those cuts that we disposed of... oh well. Tis cute!
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

September 14, 2009
9:06 PM

Post #7064059

I didn't vote. However due to a head injury, I didn't get out to weed as often as I should have.
I had increased the size of my garden, due to a neighbor buying the seed, for a two family, joint garden venture.
I had a very weedy garden, of which I am not proud of. It was just the wrong time to increase the garden size, with my accident and all.
Weeds over took some melons, and most of my cucumbers.
Most everything else I will still have in excess, which the gospel mission will gladly accept.
Before I got hurt, we had added 4 goats, to take care of any weeds in the back of the property. That worked out fairly well but still had to feed them through the winter. I haven't put a figure to it, if it would have been cheaper to mow or not.
But it was a fun filled spring, with them kidding, watching the kids romp and play.
It will also provide additional ( fertilizer) for next year, which can be a plus.
The final decision is still out on this issue.
Next year the garden will be smaller again, since I will be the only one to keep any weeds down. I have cut the goat herd back down, as we wound up with 6 additions. Will only keep two, for the winter. Will see how that works out.
I am fairly sure I will be able to take care of a much smaller garden.
crystalspin
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #7064128

None of the above. I was very lazy. I weeded and pruned just enough to keep the HOAssociation off my back, and watered just enough to keep things alive. I actually lost two salvias of all things; I think the water was deflected so they got none at al. We had a very hot August and every time I thought I would do something the heat drove me back inside.

~'spn!~
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #7064219

Oh, thanks cece. It's nice to see it a bit bigger. No need to take measurements, but thank you for the offer; I was just admiring the concept. We have a bunch of those solar lights on stakes and lots of stray pieces of lumber lying around. The thick rope wrapped around the bottom kind of makes it, too. And I just remembered we have some of that, too! I was thinking of trying to make something similar, except with larger posts so I could put bigger pots on it. It's very cute!
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #7065071

Quoting: CCG do you have a plant list for your 'Dakota Garden' posted somewhere?

Since this is "essay time," I hope it's OK to post a list here of the plants I have ordered so far, aside from the iris named for my parents (Dorothy Lee)
Daylilies: Prairie Queen, Dakota Sunset, Dakota
Sunspot, Prairie Blue Eyes
Bearded Iris: Sillcon Prairie, Dakota Smoke, Dakota Destiny, Dakota Tyrene
Roses: Prairie Breeze, Prairie Flower, Prairie Harvest, Prairie Sunset. (And Woofie, that's a great idea to plant a Peace Rose.)
Spirea japonica Dakota Goldcharm
Gaillardia Dakota Reveille
Helenium Amarum (Sneezeweed or Dakota Gold)
Dakota Mock Vervain
Shruby Cinqufoie, Dakota Sunspot
Rudbeckia Hirta Prairie Sun
Baptisia Twilight Prairie Blues

There are other plants I have identified, but cannot yet find sources for. But if anyone wants my sources for these particular plants listed above, just d-mail me.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #7065183

I voted Reworking an area...There's this back wall see...it's been mostly empty for 4 years. I covered it in black cloth and killed the grass. I still need to dig it out, move the arbor and get it planted. We, also, put up the GH. Elec, and water is next for it.

I bought a plant I've wanted for years. A tree peony. Paeonia suffruticosa 'Hanakisoi'.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #7065194

This is after but before we're done.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #7065217

One more. I'm almost finished with the center bed. I planted most of these things this year. It has filled in quite nicely.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

roybird
Santa Fe, NM

September 15, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #7065323

I voted for water feature but it is really a small impermanent water installation. It was great fun to assemble and won't be too hard to take down for winter.

Thumbnail by roybird

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

September 15, 2009
2:57 AM

Post #7065422

This was a great gardening year all around for me. My veggie garden was very productive and low maintenance, so I spent most of my time harvesting. My many newly acquired plants of the past 2 years barely survived last summer's severe heat & drought. All thrived this year with the above average rainfall & cooler temps. I especially loved having green lush grass all summer without watering the lawn. I'll remember the 2009 gardening season as one of the best. I also noticed many pollinators hanging around & beneficial insects have moved into my garden; such as praying mantis. A good reason to stay optimistic after a few years of unfavorable weather and adverse growing conditions.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2009
3:20 AM

Post #7065523

lucky you...not so here in WI
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2009
4:47 AM

Post #7065738

I voted none of the above. We were busy setting a record for the most days over 110 degrees. That's a little too hot for me so I stayed inside where it was airconditioned!
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

September 15, 2009
5:35 AM

Post #7065837

i voted water feature, i made a small pond. but in reality i did almost all of the above. i took down an old chicken coop, and made it a big flower bed with paths to wander around in. got some new plants, struggled with red spidermite, and my vegetable garden was pretty much a mistake, except for the BUNCHES of parsley!
of course that wouldn't be summer for me either, DG forgot that there are people from the southern hemisphere!!
Isaac

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2009
6:45 AM

Post #7065928

Isaac, I forgot there are, as well. Good to hear from someone outside my USA, Iceland, Romania circle of friends. One hemisphere should never forget about the other. Thanks for the reminder. But, it sounds like you struggle with the same things we do.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

September 15, 2009
7:27 AM

Post #7065958

Yes, we do have the same struggles! our pests may be different types though, since Mozambique has a tropical climate. if you want to meet more people from the Southern hemisphere, and some from the northern, you should check out the the Tropical Gardening Forum. thats where i hang out. really cool folks there!
Isaac
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2009
11:24 AM

Post #7066110

I reworked an area in my front yard. Ever since Hurricane Wilma ALMOST uprooted a large ficus tree in our neighbor's yard (exposing the big main roots but thankfully not toppling the tree) the area where the roots were heaved out of the ground won't grow any grass or anything much for that matter; I have started stacking rocks there and making it into a succulent garden which is working out pretty OK so far.
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2009
11:26 AM

Post #7066116

Time & Heat were my problems this summer!! Even tough I'm retired, I still just can't seem to find enough time to do everything.

My Mom has been really sick,so I've been spending most of the day with her, either at her home or going to doctor visits. When I leave her, I am just so drained I can't do anything.

The other big problem was the heat this past summer. Since most of my garden is full sun, it was impossible to work it until sundown - and then the mosquitoes came out. So the weeds & overgrowth took over everything. I was planning a lush, tropical garden & this year it became very, very lush!!
Jo-Ann
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 15, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #7066593

Thanks for the plant list CCG. Wonderful choices!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #7066904

Thanks for the tip, Isaac. I look at the Tropicals and dream but I never post.

CherokeeGreg
Fresno, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #7067355

I put in a bigger goldfish pond.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #7067660

How weird; I clicked on nothing, because my answer ( al of the good things mentioned) wasn't there, and it said that my vote has been registered. Registered as what; smart aleck ;-) ?
frausnow
Winterville, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2009
8:52 PM

Post #7067891

I voted for the worst garden this year. Between the drought, insects, rabbits, and deer I hardly harvested anything this year. So discouraging to have almost nothing to freeze or can. I have lots of peppers though. Trying both freezing and drying methods for those.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #7067906

None of the above. I have done absolutely no gardening this year since April. Between traveling and the abnormally high temps, I have been unable to do anything except set my irrigation system to come on during the hours allowed by the water board. Amazingly, most of my plants have survived! I can't wait until the weather cools down! I have a whole lot of gardening energy stored up! Now, if the back will cooperate...
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #7068069

Major landscaping project in a new house. Its like reworking an area except it hasn't been nagging me for years and it had largely been un-worked so there wasn't much to undo. The veggie garden is somewhere between the best (lots of lots of things) and worst (nothing). I'll put more into it when the rest landscaping is in.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #7068521

Well I did do this:

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #7068527

From this:

Thumbnail by postmandug

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

September 16, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #7068623

I spent the summer growing out lovely leftovers from the markdown rack at Lowes. My 3.00 rosebush, J & P Hot Cocoa, was there because all the original flowers had finished blooming and dropped off at the store. I found a healthy plant with no flowers for 3 bucks.
I am now on my second blooming since I brought it home. I have a yellow Gerbera daisy that was a poor, bedraggled 3 leaf horror for a quarter which is now blooming along with other 25 cent wonders, salvia, marigolds, verbena, two of my Kmart special coleus and a sedum from my friend who manages to grow lots of beauties. Put a little colorburst fertilizer in the pot, add all the rain we had and Wow!!! The rest of the coleus have gone Kong on me, my geraniums and hibiscus flowered like crazy and my tall phlox are approaching two solid months in bloom. All this due, I think, to the colorburst fertilizer and the rain. Has been a satisfying summer so far except for a few scorched hosta.
Martha
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #7068630

Wow! Nice!
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #7068845

Nice job Doug.
crystalspin
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 16, 2009
5:02 AM

Post #7069382

Love your addition, Doug -- and gardenmart I am jealous of your Hot Cocoa! I love dusky roses.
~'spin!~
turtlewalker342
Bradenton, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #7069879

I did not do much this year. Just cut the grass and pick old dead bromeliads.

Thumbnail by turtlewalker342

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 16, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #7070413

I voted reworked a nagging area.
But could also have voted added a water feature and the worst veggie season in history.

Our back and side yards were serviced by bark coated pathways and an incomplete patio.
So we reworked the patio and added a small deck off our backdoor.
This lead to 3 'step' decks down to the patio.
After years of working (add remulching) the paths we went with a boardwalk.
Then we added a deck past that so we could sit in comfort in our futon swing.
The ponds (next to the deck and preformed) then looked kind of bad.
So we pulled them out and hand dug a 1000 gallon 4' x 14' pond w/ 2 falls and landscaped it.
Oh yeah as we had the Stock Tank left from the original ponds... we added a water feature off the patio.

Busy Summer.
Too cool and wet for the Veggies...

Here's a view after we added the second deck but before the pond rework.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #7070508

Ric, you're a maniac! And that is just lovely. Wanna come visit (bring your hammer and shovel)? :-)
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2009
6:14 PM

Post #7070812

I voted for 'more pests (deer)' this year, AND I had the worse vegetable garden ever. Partly as a result of the deer feasting, but also because of all the early rain. But I did manage to put in a new sunny perennial bed back in the spring/early summer, which has done very well.
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #7071778

5th year gardening. Worst year. Blight, Slugs, Aphids, Hornworms. Lost 81 tomatoe plants from blight, and threw the towel in. Would not even pick a darn weed. That was back in June. Nothing was right from flowers to veggies. I basically would not even come to DG since June. Will I try agian?
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2009
11:25 PM

Post #7071847

schickenlady - Yes!! You WILL try again. Every now and then, the veggie garden just doesn't 'do' as well. Last couple of years, even in the drought, we had a bumper crop of tomatoes, and my squash lasted until about late August with no borers. This year is the 9th year at this house and only the second time we've had a poor crop. I don't remember the other time being quite this bad though.
Yesterday we saw a Mama Doe and 2 spotted fawns, so I guess that explains part of our deer problem this year. They ate everything in sight of the veggie garden. I guess they ran out at my house and started in on my neighbor across the road. Raccoons got most of their corn and her peppers looked like sticks. But I did at least manage to harvest about a dozen red peppers from 4 plants. Got no squash, zucchini, okra, and only 2 melons and maybe a small basket of tomatoes. I had about 15 tomato plants with the Husker Cherry Red doing the best.
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #7071878

Oh, schickenlady, that's sad! I do understand how you feel; I had a year like that about 5 years ago when I just gave up and let the whole garden go to the weeds and bugs. Hope next year is better for you!
FrangipaniAz
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 17, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #7072280

Our summer was hot hot hot... and I spent it inside ignoring my garden because I was seven, eight, and nine months pregnant during it... lol... could you picture me waddling around the garden in 115 degree heat? Yea, I couldn't either...
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #7072297

Woofie you know we're manic not maniacs... LOL!
I don't think I can get a hammer on my carry-on luggage.
But I do love the PNW...

Schicken some years are like that.
We had a cool night/wet afternoon Summer.
We lost every Zucchini plant... imagine planting 12 and getting not one Zuc.
From 12 tomato plants we got maybe 2 dozen tomatoes.
1/2 pound of seed potatoes yielded 2 pounds of potatoes...
The blight got us too...
Some years it just don't pay.
The good news is our containered tomatos did fine.
So next year we use our seeds, new soil and pots.

Good Luck to You!

Ric
darlindeb
Claremore, OK

September 17, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #7072379

I got a tree peony.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #7072385

FrangipaniAz, I could see you passing out in that kind of heat, but, not working. Whew! It must have been some summer for you! LOL

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2009

Post #7072388

We crossed. Which one did you get?
FrangipaniAz
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 17, 2009
1:20 AM

Post #7072423

Yea, my garden looks TERRIBLE...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #7072427

A couple of years and you'll have a new gardening patner!
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2009
2:05 AM

Post #7072555

Hey, Ric, for you I'd buy a shiny new hammer!
FrangipaniAz
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 17, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #7072561

I know, I can't wait... hopefully I can instill a desire and a fascination to garden in him :)
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 17, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #7072661

I have had a huge garden challenge here and it is a sizable desert 5/8 acre of landscaping, that took the first 2 years just keeping weeds in check, it has been 6 years now, in the house and I still want to move and quit once a week, but I can say, that the pre-planning, is finally working to a point of visual progress of some sort. I have to prepare a spot for the next year in late summer, so I can plant the next late summer or early fall. This has worked, that way, I can plant stuff in a previous year's worked soil in late winter and start a new soil prep area for a future year and add a few new things in late summer for a fall showing for this particular year.

Complicated and probably does not make sense but it is all I have to add.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #7072678

What type of plantings are you doing?
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #7072741

This is only my second summer here. Last fall I winter sowed; a lot of them bloomed and did well this summer. Also, in the spring, summer, and now I have started other seeds. I want to make my "vision" something of a reality. Since I am not strong, (but I am getting stronger,) my neighbor helps me as she did last year. The help is a wonderful investment.

We did start two and a half beds of layered cardboard/compost/mulch. In less than a month
the cardboard on one has rotted sufficiently to allow planting. I planted a bed of bearded iris
and daylilies with daffodils intermixed. I will sprinkle larkspur and Shirley poppies in late fall
and plant my seed grown pansies at the edge later this fall. If only half of the things I planted
come up, it should be pretty.

I keep thinking that next year will complete the plans, but I need to grow a few vegetables too.

And I do realize that gardens are never complete; they are always in the process of being completed.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2009 11:05 PM
gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2009
12:43 PM

Post #7073491

Avoided the blight. I had eight tomato plants in pots. Good drainage is key. Had to water in the heat wave, but not a problem. my neighbor put in two, just two, sweet one hundreds and she is feeding the neighborhood with her tomatoes. Those are also in pots on her concrete porch.
We had super slug trouble in June, damaged nearly every one of my hostas. but it dried out and they backed off. Plus, i killed a zillion of them.
Don't give up!
Martha
Pillita
Keystone Heights, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 17, 2009
1:13 PM

Post #7073572

I reworked the entire yard.

Four years ago, there was only sand.
Three years ago, there was sand and a few plants.
Two years ago, there was still mostly sand and a few flowerbeds.
One year ago, there was some grass and eleven sad-looking flowerbeds.
This year, there is a lot more grass and twenty-five blooming beds.

Thanks to all of DG for the inspiration and good advice.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #7074106

I added a water feature:

Hubby found an old barrel, placed a plastic tray on it, added a few pebbles in one corner, filled it with water, and called it a "bird bath"

The birds don't mind how "crude" it is - they LOVE IT!

My neighbor gave me some iris, so I planted a few around the barrel - now the area looks a little better. I have ordered daffodil bulbs, and some of them will go in the same area - by next spring, I'm hoping the whole area will be "aesthetically pleasing" LOL
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #7074185

Ha, ha! I want to see a picture of your "water feature" Honeybee! Your hubby sounds like my hubby. :-)
Kristi_L
Kalamazoo, MI

September 18, 2009
10:25 AM

Post #7076806

We have a birch tree that puts out seed for the finches in spring and fall. They're also loving seeds from coneflowers and cosmos at this time of year. So I voted pretty much the same, though the flowers reseed so there are more every year. Finches make a lovely little chipping sound.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 19, 2009
3:26 AM

Post #7079976

Gosh we are having a heat wave, so I can not get my seeds to germinate without a timed water system on the plants. Maybe I will cover them with shade cloth. I am so upset about this heat. We always get hosed out of the good seasons for gardening. Hot/Cold. Cold/hot.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

September 19, 2009
3:37 AM

Post #7080005

Fought & still am fighting the rain induced weeds. Since they are present the turkeys did not come to dust bathe--yea!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2009
11:14 AM

Post #7080522

I have alot of tomatoes and canning then freeze it...

Zucchinis is worst to grow then rot... Never happen like this before I was living in So. Ca. it grow good and huge giant...
missdd
Universal City, TX

September 19, 2009
11:56 AM

Post #7080551

I had the worst garden ever this year. My green beans were nice and long but the pods were empty, I had male squash blossoms but no females, so no zucchinie or pumpkins, my corn was tall and I had tassles, but no silks, so no ears, my onion died early in the season and no watermelon or cantelope at all this year. I did have pleanty of tomatos and jalapenos, so I made salsa. Lots of it! OLE!
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2009
4:18 PM

Post #7081128

I reworked a walkway that I've been having problems with since I put it in 3 or 4 years ago.
The slate stones have been wobbly and our grass (bermuda) works it's way in. Also, there is a wild bermuda grass that get pretty invasive and was having its way with the walkway also.
I took it all up, put down TWO layers of weed block, dug out most of the sand I had put down (which was one of the reasons the stones were wobbly), put back down the stones and put pebbles between the stones. Along the edges, I planted dwarf mondo, mazus, elfin and wooly thyme. I left one area open and have dayliilies there.
It looks good now!
Barb

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie

NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

September 19, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #7081443

I wanted a water feature, so upon going in my local pub i asked the landlord if he had any old wooden barrels for sale.
He had some large Newcastle brown barrels, so I bought one quite cheaply.
Although coming out of the pub rolling one of them home, did raise some eyebrows!
Next day with my chain saw I cut it in half, then using my jig saw, I trimmed it up.
Then I cut a round bit of some oak to make a seat for a pump.
The old antique shop had a Victorian hand pump, but it was too big, but they managed to get me one that worked, and was the right size.
Once I had worked out how to get the innards out of this cast iron thing, I had to replace the old bolts, not an easy job.
Then it was off to the garden centre to get a submersible electric pump and the piping.
This done, I duly got the piping and the electric bits in.
So I put some river washed gravel in the bottom and planted a small water lilly and a few other plants. Filled the thing with water and turned it on, lo and behold it worked.
The problem is my wife's cats love to drink out of it, and I should have repainted the cast iron pump!
Regards from England.
Neil.

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1

Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #7081591

Neil,
So nice of you to put in that fountain for the cat! It looks great - good job.
Barb

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #7081648

Absolutely worth the work, Neil. What better than a happy Kitty? Grin

The pump looks great, painting it would have taken away the rustic been there forever look. Nice job.
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2009
10:12 PM

Post #7082067

Once that cat has enough Iron, I expect the water will not taste quite so good.
DMgardener
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #7082076

Mostly weeded and added new gardens.
I did a lot of overhauling, exspanding, and grew the worst vegatable garden ever:(
Well, it was all my fault so I am not complaining. Did plant a lot of Summer squash that grew and grew and GREW!!! Ate a lot of the best thing, Zucchini Mozzerella. The main mistake was not weeding and watering enough, so I am not only avowing to make right newt year, I will fill up a little calender with all the vegatable "to do's".

The expanding was most obvious in the area of between the gravel "garden" and the Sunflower/Zinnia garden. FIRST dug over the old sand pile into the ground (made the soil the best in all the property!) Then did a raised bed in half of it. Planting perennials next year there. Then the area (about 10X12) between the gravel, Sunflowers and the old sand pile was dug over. Now I have space to plant a BIG herb garden. YAY!!!

Overhauled the Raspberries and the grapes. Planted these several years ago, then pretty much forgot about them. Weeded, pruned a bit and cultivated the area around them and grew some good veggies.

So, I did quite a lot with an abundance of help from my family, but didn't do enough( that is what I will think next April)!

Thumbnail by DMgardener

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 20, 2009
12:37 AM

Post #7082511

Barb working w/ slate is always a challenge. There's no way to anchor it.
Sounds like you have it tamed.

Neil that's an Excellent Barrell!

DASIYS lot of work for sure.
It will certainly pay off on next year's effort.
BTW we are having the ORVG RU next weekend in Franklin.
You are more than welcome!

Ric
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #7084087

Barbie, I love the swoopy outline of your walkway. Nice job!
And I'll bet Neil wouldn't mind hearing another compliment on his lovely fountain. Moonhowl's right, that pump wouldn't look nearly as nice repainted. Hmmm, wonder if I could talk my hubby out of that old pump he has stashed away...
Wish I had Dasiy's energy. Sigh. Gotta get to work on MY garden clean-up.
LollyJean
Florence, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #7084114

This is our third summer in this house and I'm finally starting to do something about the overgrown mess that is my backyard. I've completed my first lasagna bed and cleared all of the mess out. I'm so glad to have found this site. Dave's Garden and the people here have been a real inspiration and full of helpful ideas about how to tackle this monumental job!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 20, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #7084125

Lolly like Dasiys you are more than welcome to join our ORVG RU next Saturday.

Ric
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #7084553

The difference in the soil tells the story - nothing to "put up" for winter but a good crop to eat off during the season. Much better than the last years tales.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2009
6:12 PM

Post #7084557

The difference in the soil tells the story - nothing to "put up" for winter but a good crop to eat off during the season. Much better than the last years tales.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/870295/
violap
Fremont, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2009
10:35 PM

Post #7085346

I probably could have checked most of them too.But the big project was to build a pergola with a brick walkway under it with a circular flower bed.
Now my project will be ongoing with building a shade garden around it.This will probably take me years,although I planted a sweet autumn clematis and a climbing hydrangea on 2 separate areas.I have begun to transplant some plants from another area that I want to redo.
And I plan to incorporate some shade herbs.
I am including a picture of a part of it.
One of the biggest problems is the propane tank included in this area.The area I plan to redo is behind this where I have a pond.Thus the FROGS!
I need to put some ground cover.
Its actually a bit overwhelming!

Thumbnail by violap

violap
Fremont, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #7085393

As yo can see we have to revamp the deck that leads to it.
Here is one end of the propane tank

Thumbnail by violap

violap
Fremont, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2009
11:00 PM

Post #7085428

This is the other end

Thumbnail by violap

SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2009
11:26 PM

Post #7085499

I fought aphids like mad early in the summer (and WON! HA!) and fought voles the rest of the summer (and lost). Although I discovered voles don't like tough fuzzy plants like Zinnias and Gloriosa Dasies and they don't like Daturas.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 21, 2009

Post #7085918

Love that Pergola! That Brickwork is Stunning!
And what a very nice solution for hiding an ugly Propane Tank!
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #7085976

None of the above - I moved into this apartment last August. When this last summer hit, a few kids befriended me and I spent alot of time with them - now that school has started back up I haven't seen them anymore - boo hoo! One of the kids collected cans and also took my garbage out for me - sweet boy.
tikijenn
Thomaston, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 21, 2009
2:55 AM

Post #7086225

The first thing I did was pull vines, vines, and more vines from a long time neglected fence. No fun! But very rewarding to see the finished product.
Then, I planted my front bed of shrubs (in phases). It is beautiful now with knock out roses, crepe myrtle, Confederate rose, nandina, and forsythia, with tulips to come up in the spring! It is beautiful and I can't wait to watch it change over the seasons.
I also planted my first vegetable garden! It had tomatoes, cantelope, carrots, and zinnia. It was rather small and I planted a little late but I did get lots of roma tomatoes out of it. My carrots are actually still in the ground and my cantalope never got much bigger than tennis balls. I'm still getting tomatoes and zinnia are blooming like crazy!
I guess it's time to start working on hardscaping in the yard. My favorite season of the year is almost here!
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2009
1:12 PM

Post #7087079

Oh, my, violap, that walkway and flowerbed are just wonderful! What a nice job! Sigh, I do love nice walkways, but the cost of the materials is out of my reach at the moment, let alone the energy and expertise to actually build one. sniff. And I love what you did to that propane tank. :-)
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #7087100

Violap,
Eeyore looks overwhelmed himself!
I want to paint a pic on my rain barrel, (your propane tank reminded me). Just haven't decided what to do...
Barb
violap
Fremont, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #7087405

This has been a project that has been ongoing.We've never laid brick before.And cost wise we had to do it in sections as we got the money.The bad thing about doing it that way is the colors don't exactly match, as they come from a different dye lot,even though they have the same product #.

I think I'm going to put different types of grasses around the tank.I saw one that I loved this week-end at the farmers market called Hakon Grass that I think will soften the effect.

As for the rain barrel,Beach Barbie,Try to keep it simple.Coloring books are great resources.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 21, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #7087804

It's Hakone Grass or Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola' and would be perfect there.
Be advised our dog loves to eat the stuff... Moooooo... lol!

Ric
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2009
7:21 PM

Post #7088391

Now THAT is a great idea: coloring books! Cheapskate me, I poke around looking at stencils online, copy off the pictures of them, then make my own. :-)
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

September 23, 2009
12:52 PM

Post #7095207

My DH gave me an old Jeep Wrangler to use as a beach buggy a few years ago. I painted fish, whales, turtles, etc all over it; I got the pics from my coffee table fish and ocean books. I think I'll look thru those books and my gardening books, see if I can find flower, etc pics to use.

To keep on topic - two days ago I did some more garden reworking. One end of my pond garden was getting really overgrown. I had two Artemisia 'Silver Mound', a rosemary, weeping yaupon holly, crocossimias, a small chinese fan palm, spider lilies, daylilies and a few other herbs. WAY too crowded. I dug up one artemisia, put it in a pot and pulled out most of the crocossimia. After doing that, 80% of the over crowding was taken care of and I saw all the shells, etc that had been hidden (cool!).
Now you can see individual plants and some of the hardscape. So much nicer! The now potted up artemisia is still there, haven't decided if it will stay.
Here's a pic of the before.
Barb

Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

September 23, 2009
1:05 PM

Post #7095252

Here's the after of the pond garden area.
Now if I could just get rid of the pampass grass to it's right (you can see some of the blades in the right of the pic), but my DH likes it...
It looks so much nicer!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 149 Feb 9, 2011 12:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America