Newspaper starter pots

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

After much thought I decided this might be the best place to post this question. I would like to make the newspaper stater pots that I saw mentioned a while back in an Article on DG. The problem is the article linked to a video that Dave had made on making the pots and I have dial up. Yep, for those who just cringed...lol...dial up. It's all you can get where I live. Not even Hughes Net can set up here...something to do with trees, and how low we sit etc...anyway...I can't view a video. Does anyone know if there is a good article anywhere on making these pots...I am more than willing to google if I don't get an answer. I just thought if someone had already discovered one or waded through the bad ones, they might like to share. Thanks!

Hugs, Jamie

Ripley, MS

Here is an old thread that I showed how I do newspaper pots
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/686796/

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

Thank you! You are a sweetheart! That's exactly what I needed! I tried to search the forums with the search thingy but, I guess I wasn't asking it correctly. Thank You Thank YOU THANK you!!!!

Hugs,

Jamie

Ripley, MS

You are very welcome--my way is very simple and works !!!

Elba, NY(Zone 6a)

For something even simpler... save your toilet paper and paper towel tubes. Toilet paper tubes can be cut into 2 equal tubes (cut around the diameter-not lengthwise) and paper towel 3. After you have your smaller tube cut four slits in the bottom about 1/2" up equal distance apart and fold them under like flaps of a box. These make nice little starter pots and are super quick and easy.

Ripley, MS

Great Idea, I have tried that and it does work, but seems like newspaper is more abundant. Of course if you saved all winter that would probably be quite a few for spring planting.

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

This is a good idea! There is only two of use in my househole and we garden year round here but, this would be a great use for those tubes and I have friends that like to recycle and would be glad to chip in. They will be great to suppliment the newspaper pots. Thanks for sharing the great thought.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Now there's a new Winter project for my extra newspapers. Been using them for plant swaps and put several layers down under mulch for weed control but that's pretty much done, at least for this year.

Thanks for the great ideas, everyone!

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

Toilet roll cores are great for any plants with long tap roots. I use them for starting my runner (pole) beans. I don't shorten the tubes as it's the length I need. I give them a soaking before I plant them. The tubes soon rot down.

Crumpled newspaper (but not glossy magazine paper) goes in my bean trench, and I put some in my compost bin to give the right carbon/nitrogen ratio.

Another great tip. Thank you patgeorge.

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

I even compost glossy. Glossy just has a clay on it (I worked for a printer) that is safe and compostable now. The inks are all vegetable now in the US by law. I take my coupon papers and inserts and run them through my paper shreader and through them right in the compost pill or the bed and mix them in. They break down very quickly. They are really a nice addition here because they also add to water retention in our sandy soil AND make a great mulch if you wet it down or toss some dirt on top so it doesn't blow. I even use junk mail and anything that comes out of my printer that I would normally through away. My shreader isn't one of the confetti ones but, the ones that shreads in strips. I shread everything including bills and compost them. Talk about identity safe...lol!

Just some thoughts on composting with stuff we would otherwise pitch.

Hugs,

Jamie

Talk about making a person feel safe! I have the same kind of shedder. Just never thought about composting all my junk mail amd weekly circulars.

And ya know if I don't save my toilet paper holders, I'm gonna feel guilty. ( :

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

LoL! Yep it's all wood and because of Fed regulation all ink is veg based for about the last 15+ years now so...why not. The coating on the outside of glossy pages is just a clay...it all composts beautifully. Paper plates compost too! lol...I don't feel so bad any more when I'm being lazy...lol...I don't even shread then ... just through them in and pile stuff on top! I have a list around here somewhere 4 pages long of everyday things to compost that really surprised me...Paper towels were among them too even if you used them for cleaning up just put them in with you scraps...lol...really what do they do when they go to the land fill but, compost in a bigger way...lol...I never thought about it until I got the list.

I'll see if I can find the list. It might have the link on it. If not I'll post the things that make sense.

Hugs,

Jamie

Ripley, MS

Don't forget the dryer lint !!! I also save all boxes, such as cereal, cracker, from the grocery for the compost pile-saves on garbage bags too.

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

Never thought about boxes! I do do drier lint...I forgot to put that on the list. Some people so only drier lint from all cotton loads but, I just through it all in. Most of my stuff is mostly cotton and it doesn't seem to matter. Thanks for the box idea though I through those out all the time but, it makes total sense...what are they but, thick paper! Jeez.........

Hugs,

Jamie

Ripley, MS

Sure, some that are thin enough I put through the shredder, I have 2 rabbits on a hutch that I put paper down first and then cover it with leaves for the poop to cover, then drag it all to the other pile when it needs changing, the worms love the poop and the cardboard and make quick work of it. I shred up paper towel cardboard and toilet tissue cardboard, all the junk mail, anything that is paper based. I keep a coffee can on my counter for food scraps that the rabbits or dog will not eat. When I use a paper towel, I shove it in there too most of the time. By the time I empty it, there is enough coffee ground dampness in there to keep it from blowing away when I empty it on the pile. Sometimes I take the time to rake it in and sometimes I just hurry back to the house and leave it on top. I don't try to do hot compost as I am more interested in raising the worms to put into the flower beds.

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

worms...lol...the first time I showed my neighbor I had worms I thought she was going to turn green with envy...they are in VERY short supply around here! -Our ground is sand and salt ... you couple that with heat/drought/humidity and makes for no earth worms.- We always joke that we don't have worms we have fire ants! Mine started in my compost heap and now I have slowly started spreading them around. Don't have them everywhere yet but, I'm getting there!

Ripley, MS

We have fire ants too--I battle them all the time, they love to build in the flower beds.

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

Nasty little buggers! They seem to like to build where ever you are most likely to stand long enough for them to attack! lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images