Annual pansy

Gulfport, MS

I found lightly fragrant pansies for sale last year at a garden center in Jackson,Tenn. Does anyone know the name or how I can get some seeds. I think they are newly introduced hybrids, but I am not sure.
Thanks for any help

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I've always considered all pansies to be lightly fragrant...maybe not to others, but to me they have a definite fragrance.

(Zone 5a)

Thompson and Morgan maybe? They usually have great seed.

I just brought my pansys in. I planted containers and am growing some in the house and wintering over the rest in pots hoping they will re-seed themselves for spring.

I love their frangrance. They are one of the more pricey annuals now for some reason in my neck of the woods. Cant hardly find good buys, but got lucky on fall flats this year.. $2@ where other places were selling 6 paks for $5

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
(Zone 5a)

Here are some I got in the spring and i think I paid $2.65 for a small cell 6 pack..

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

If you just want to gather ideas or see the hundreds of varieties that are out there you should check out www.hazzardsgreenhouse.com. They are a bit pricey for purchasing seeds, but it's a nice site to browse through and look at photos of the hundreds of varieties that can be grown. They definitely have the largest selection on the internet.

Jon

(Zone 5a)

Well, that sounds awesome, I think I will have to visit that one!

Well here are some of mine!

(Zone 5a)

(Zone 5a)

(Zone 5a)

(Zone 5a)

Nice bloom blossom. Number 5 is my fav. I was fortunate enough to pick up some pansy plants over in Sarasota, FL this past Saturday and bring them back in the car. They're hard to find over here in Ft Lauderdale. Good thing I bought them Saturday afternoon right when I got there. I knew if I waited until today (Monday) to buy them, they'd be gone. I checked today before I drove back and they were are all gone.

(Zone 5a)

Well, do show us if you have time Jon! Mine in my GPS are still doing quite well, but the ones in the house in my pepper pots are not happy.

I loved the pastels for spring, they were so "Easter"! The ones I got this fall are gorgi! Check these out!

(Zone 5a)

Brick red

Super. Love both of them. I'll take photos of mine in the morning. I bought 15 containers of pansies. Probably a few more than I needed, but that's ok.

(Zone 5a)

Well one cannot have toooo many pansies!

Nice. That's true. And one cannot have every pansy out there. There must be, at least, a 1000 different one. You prefer solids or the ones with blotches? Personally I like the ones with blotches best.

(Zone 5a)

Hmmmm, plain or happy faces, that is a good question!

Amore, cant say I ever met a pansy I dint like! LOL!

(Zone 5a)

Yano, just cant make up my mind.....

LOL. I do know what you mean. Here's my "Karma True Blue" pansies from last winter.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
(Zone 5a)

I really like them all!

(Zone 5a)

The white above was called Purity, your blue is lovely!

(Zone 5a)

Some of mine were labeled some not...

(Zone 5a)

That "blue" one right above is actually a purple.. my cameras off on color....I would also have to see if I had the label to read it.. Obviously my intended shot was to get the label clear and that did not happen! O'well...! Cant shoot them all well.

So ok, Jon, if your calling them blotches, what is the one in yellow, near black blotch with the darker maroon hood?

(Zone 5a)

Such a "mean" looking happy face on my blue there eh!?

(Zone 5a)

Group shot! Oh I could not make up my mind on just one!

(Zone 5a)

Its just not fair to ask which one is the fav now is it?!

(Zone 5a)

And whats the diff between a pansy and a johnny besides the size!

(Zone 5a)

Spring or fall, its hard not to like them all!

(Zone 5a)

Last one... well for now anyway... I cant wait until spring and I cannot wait to see others postings here!

So littlebiloxi, did any thing come close?

I think I like this last one of mine so far for the best of the show! Its got such personality! But dont they all?

I would guess the last one you posted is Pansy "Joker Light Blue". I would call that Lemon/Yellow one with the dark blotch and purple wing Pansy "Majestic Giant Patricia". I think if the top color is different it's referred to as a "wing"....but I could be wrong. LOL They label most of the ones they sell down here as "Pansy". Like we don't know that already.

(Zone 5a)

Same here too, but sometimes we will get an odd lable!

Yeah, hood, wing, I dont know what they are called, I called it a hood cuz it looks like a bonnet on a face...get it, hood! like in a hoody! LOL!
All mine were Giants that I know with the exception of those ones in the yellow pots, I think those were under the class of viola.

It makes more sense that it should be called a hood because its the top part of the bloom. I've seen a few pansy varieties that have the word "wing" in the name. That's the only reason I figured it must be "wing".

Here are pics of the pansies I picked up, over the weekend, over in Sarasota, FL. Hope to get them planted by the end of the week.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Another photo

Thumbnail by amorecuore

And one last photo

Thumbnail by amorecuore
(Zone 5a)

Those are very lovely!

I am soooo sad our season is ending.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

don't have any blooms yet...just a bunch of babies

Thumbnail by bigred
(Zone 5a)

Show off! LOL!

Well, I was just scronging and came across some seeds...I found some 04 seed for a mix, viola for "sorbet and cuty", some blue pansys and another packet of mixed ones....they are probably not viable sine I found them in the greenhouse and they gone through the summer heat, but I will chuck themin a pot to try germing them anyway before I toss them.

Soz, whats the babies you got there? And what size plug tray? Man it looks bigger than what I use!

(Zone 5a)

Dang, I wished I had some cold frames, I just discovered the bloomers can be wintered over in them. Guess I will mark my sowing date date for January 1. Well, maybe I will get lucky and they will winter ok in my GPS....I could try cutting the bottoms out of a few large nursery cans and put that on them then stuff with straw while in there.

Are you doing baskets Red? They say 9 plants to a basket.

YOur plugs look great BTW!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

If you have an old chest type freezer and a window pane big enough to cover it,you could jerry rig a coldframe. You'd have to put something in the bottom of the freezer to bring the level of the plants closer to the top and sunlight.

No...no basket. I tried basket a couple of years but all I did was waste my money and time.

I sewed:
Pansies:
Delta Watercolors Mix
Frizzle Sizzle Yellow & Blue Swirl
Pandora's Box
Ultima Morpho

for all my loud colors and decorating style...I DO NOT like those Giant Swiss Pansies. Colors are just to glaring.

Violas:
Gem Antique Shades
Hobbit Pippin Took
Penny Peach Jumpup
Penny Primrose Bicolor

I think that plug tray is a 128...I'll have to look again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images