Photo by Melody

Article: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Are on the Move!: My hummer story

Communities > Forums > Article: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Are on the Move!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Are on the Move!Replies: 3, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lonestargrl
Gainesville, TX

September 14, 2009
11:04 PM

Post #7064419

Ok, I have to start this story by saying Im probably the luckiest hummingbird attractor EVER!!!

My spring started when I noticed that I had one Ruby Throated male. He was buzzing around my porch, so I went to Wallyworld that afternoon and got two feeders, thinking if I have one I may get more. About three days later I had about 6, I was thoroughly impressed with myself as Ive never had more than two or three no matter where I lived. Within a couple of weeks I had about 10!!! So of course I ran out and got more feeders. This lasted for a couple of weeks and then my numbers fell back to around the original 6. But I was still happy all summer, cleaning my feeders religously every three days.

I did discover that they seemed to like the cheapest feeders that I could get at Wal-Mart, but I liked them too, they have a wider mouth for easier cleaning and filling. Also the bottom piece comes apart so you can really keep them clean. So occasionally I would pick up a few more...I now have 6 feeders.

A couple of weeks ago I came home to find two of my feeders completely empty...strange because I had just filled them two days prior, but I didnt think much about it until I had been inside the house for about 5 minutes and looked out the kitchen window...I had at least 20 hummers buzzing around. I couldnt believe it. Needless to say all six feeders went up. My numbers continued to climb every three days I had at least 10 more!!! Last week my neighbor came over to watch, all he could say was "Wow" and "Amazing!" I must have had about 100 hummingbirds!!! Im not kidding or exaggerating, it was absolutely incredible to watch. Last week I was going through 6-8 cups of sugar a day and all six feeders would be empty in a day. (If anyone can do a calculation on that I would love to know if my calculations are right).

My numbers have slacked off this week to around 40 or so. I figure that with the rain the last few days and cooler temps they are probably moving on. But I am sitting here right now listening to the hummingbird wars going on the front porch. I cant wait til next year!!!!!
Debbie

P.S. Ive got pics that I need to load on the computer and then I will post them

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #7064487

Debbie,

That's a great story. I'm insanely jealous of course. I just think there are some places that must be natural places for hummingbirds. Your story is much like that of dellrose on the bird watching forum. When you get your pictures, c'mon over and share!!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1034618/

It sounds like you are probably using the First Nature feeders. They are indeed sooooo easy to clean and the price is right! We also have a "Show us your Feeders" thread.

Volume 1: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/957754/
Volume 2: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1038402/

lonestargrl
Gainesville, TX

September 14, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #7064527

I think your right about natural places. This is actually my boyfriends house, so this is my first year for us to be living together. We are in the country surrounded by oak trees but he cleared a circle drive. I think we have enough clear space for them to feel comfortable to come down and feed, but also lots of dead branches that they can hawk on to watch their feeder.

Incidentally, I still have the original hummer that started all this. We call him "Richard" as he is rather a jerk. He has picked his favorite feeder and tries his best to keep everyone else OFF!! Poor thing was so tired last week with all that competition...shouldve seen him trying to keep 15 hummers off his feeder at a time.
Deb

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #7064567

Hee! Yah, love how funny they are guarding. Some of the other comments I've seen about this article are that they will guard a feeder and this or that plant, but let the others go to some less desirable plants! I've only really had 3 at a time and I think two of them tag-team the guard. One will be a decoy while the other drinks. Pretty slow this September though.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Are on the Move! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
hummingbirds Jiny 17 Sep 14, 2009 3:20 PM
Good article! tommyr2006 3 Sep 13, 2009 9:40 PM
Mystery solved! Rowan_linnea 1 Sep 13, 2009 5:38 PM
Rubythroated Hummingbirds txaggiegal 1 Sep 13, 2009 9:40 PM
Great article! pelletory 5 Sep 14, 2009 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America