Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Clematis Wilt: What It Is, and How to Treat and Prevent It: Need help

Communities > Forums > Article: Clematis Wilt: What It Is, and How to Treat and Prevent It
bookmark
Forum: Article: Clematis Wilt: What It Is, and How to Treat and Prevent ItReplies: 4, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bertj
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 15, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #7064979

I have a new arbor and would like something fragrant and showy and hardy...zone 8b.. Thanks.

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2009
12:47 PM

Post #7066277

Hmmm, I'm out of my league when it comes to answering a zone 8 question, since I've only ever gardened in the frozen north. One fragrant clematis I have had experience with and can definitely recommend is the sweet autumn clematis (clematis ternifolia)--it's a very vigorous vine with tiny white blossoms in the fall and smells wonderful. A quick search I just did also turned up clematis crispa, which is actually native to the southeastern US and supposed to be fragrant, so there's another possibility. Or have you considered honeysuckle or wisteria?

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #7066297

You also might try posting your question on the Florida gardeners forum:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/region_fl/all/

I bet they will have lots of good suggestions for you
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2009
10:12 PM

Post #7075293

Gwen, thanks for such an informative article; I don't have a clematis, but I really think some of them are beautiful. =)

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #7075789

Thanks, Petal. They are beautiful, and versatile too. This fall I planted a summer-blooming clematis beneath a spring-blooming viburnum. I am hoping it will keep the shrub interesting through the summer.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Clematis Wilt: What It Is, and How to Treat and Prevent It Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very informative cececoogan 1 Sep 14, 2009 1:07 PM
clematis capeelizjake 3 Dec 20, 2012 5:13 PM
diseased clematis paulineandbill 1 Sep 14, 2009 6:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America