Photo by Melody

Article: Turn Your Big Tomato Harvest into Fabulous Roasted Tomato Sauce: that's a lot of garlic

Communities > Forums > Article: Turn Your Big Tomato Harvest into Fabulous Roasted Tomato Sauce
bookmark
Forum: Article: Turn Your Big Tomato Harvest into Fabulous Roasted Tomato SauceReplies: 1, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
canadiancans
vancouver
Canada

September 15, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #7065628

I am wondering if the roasted tomato sauce is extremely garlicky with 16 cloves? Also, how many cups of sauce does this recipe make?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 15, 2009
5:27 AM

Post #7065821

The long roasting mellows out the garlic, I think... but then, I like garlic. If you're not so fond of it, reduce it, or leave it out and toss in an onion instead.

I'm not really sure about the quantity from the small recipe, because I usually make it in a huge turkey roaster pan, heaping the pan up and sometimes tossing in another few quarts as it's cooking down... that yields about a gallon of sauce. The yield will also vary according to how juicy your tomatoes are (more juice means less sauce once it's cooked down... I like to grow really meaty tomatoes with small seed cavities, so I don't get quite as much juice from mine) and according to how far you cook it down. I've learned to leave a little juicy stuff in the pan so it goes through the food mill better. :-)

Try it... if it's too strong or too garlicky, you can always add more fresh tomato to the sauce before freezing it. My folks like it about diluted by about half with plain tomato sauce. I think you'll love the flavor!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Turn Your Big Tomato Harvest into Fabulous Roasted Tomato Sauce Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Can't wait to try it! davis1676 24 Aug 12, 2008 12:51 AM
yuuuuuummmy Hineni 18 Aug 21, 2008 11:21 PM
turn into leathers? cathy4 14 Sep 16, 2009 9:38 AM
roasted tomatoe sauce misskarenl 0 Aug 19, 2008 6:26 PM
Roasted Salsa variation 4paws 3 Aug 26, 2008 7:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America