Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Are on the Move!: Close Encounter

Communities > Forums > Article: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Are on the Move!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Are on the Move!Replies: 3, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DianeEG
Galva, IL

September 15, 2009
6:46 PM

Post #7067481

One summer I was laying a brick walkway by my back porch. I'd do a some every nice day. One hummingbird feeder is beside my screened in porch which has our outdoor table, etc. It is also beside a honeysuckle bush. Because of these things, they quickly got used to me. When they'd fly in to feed, I'd just stop laying brick and watch. One day I was standing and contemplating something and one landed on my arm. We looked each other over for a bit and he flew away.

Besides being awesome, I was totally amazed at how little I felt. It weighed so little and his feet were so small, it was hardly any pressure. Amazing little birds.

Thumbnail by DianeEG
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #7067610

Oh they are indeed amazing.

My Mother's husband has them land on his arm all the time because he spends so much time sitting still on the porch. I've had them come up to me an look me in the face before. But what I'd really like to do is hand feed them. That is supposedly easy to do.
Letafm41
Lake Providence, LA

September 15, 2009
10:37 PM

Post #7068249

We have glass all the way across the den wall that looks out on the patio , that's where our hummingbird feeders are . They come up to the glass and look inside . I think they are telling me something . So I go out and check the feeders and sure enough one will be sour or ants will be inside a feeder. I get so much pleasure watching one Ruby Throated male , sitting on his branch, keeping control of HIS feeder! He dive bombs when he sees another hummingbird get on His feeder. Fierce little boogers. We should all be so strong & brave.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #7068398

Do you think they sit there saying "I'll give those humans a treat, I'll dive bomb the next passer by!"

:D

Today I saw one try and chase off a house sparrow that got too close to the Tithonia.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Are on the Move! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
hummingbirds Jiny 17 Sep 14, 2009 3:20 PM
Good article! tommyr2006 3 Sep 13, 2009 9:40 PM
Mystery solved! Rowan_linnea 1 Sep 13, 2009 5:38 PM
Rubythroated Hummingbirds txaggiegal 1 Sep 13, 2009 9:40 PM
Great article! pelletory 5 Sep 14, 2009 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America