Photo by Melody

Tropical Zone Gardening: Growing Lavender in Tropical zone....need suggestion..THANKs

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 262, Views: 2,660
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 16, 2009
10:10 AM

Post #7069607

Dear everyone;

Nice to meet you all here, the forum giving us the informative...THANKS.

We living in tropical zone, which our terrain (to be farmed) is Hill side, 200-400 meter high from sea level, humid (40%-80% in average annually), rainy but not heavy, temp in winter during 10C-20C, summer 20-30C and rainy during 18-28C.

We plan to establish the lavender farm here in the near future, If we succeed for growing the lavender plant (from SEEDS!). None of this farm in our country/neighbor country...

I knew that, I will have very good suggestion/advise/comment from all of you here in this forum, you may need more infor, please drop to this forum and we will check/response more often.

THANKssss IN ADVANCE>>

Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 16, 2009
10:18 AM

Post #7069614

I believe there are certain kinds of lavender suited for warmer climates; however your humidity may be the problem.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 16, 2009
10:24 AM

Post #7069618

Greatful, Dutchlady1. Appreciate your voice... If you have an experience starting from seed, may we have the detail 'how to grow', how to prepare cell, soil, water during seed, water during seedling...etc., Thanks in advance...
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 16, 2009
10:44 AM

Post #7069632

I suggest you search the word 'lavender' in DG, there are a number of articles and other info.

this might help you get started:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1842/
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 16, 2009
11:11 AM

Post #7069657

Thanks, Dutchlady1. We will visit those article and we also looking for someone (individual or firm) who has the experience to grow this kind of plant in tropical zone, Those article could help ideally (most article regarding the USA zone, )...we would need to get start at the right way, with any varitie/species. Anyway, big thanks for your hand...

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

September 16, 2009
7:32 PM

Post #7071037

Lavandula dentata 'Candicans' does well in the tropics.

It needs to be in full sun with well drained soil.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 17, 2009
2:44 AM

Post #7072684

Thanks, Metrosideros..we will try Lavandula dentata 'Candicans' (we suppose this is the same French lavendula/French long lavender)...

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

September 17, 2009
6:43 AM

Post #7073172

I'm sure you'll do well with it. It's the most successful Lavender in Hawai'i.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

September 18, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #7077946

i have tried lavender seedlings here before, they never work. but i don't know which type it was, so maybe the one dave suggested will work.
i will look for it myself next time i go to South Africa!
isaac
stellamarina
Laie, HI

September 20, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #7082694

Wow...writers from Mozambique and Thailand now...things are starting to get very exotic on Tropical Zone and it so wonderful to have this gardening connection around the world. aloha
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2009
6:06 AM

Post #7083286

Aloha and welcome to all. Yes, we sure are getting exotic - how very lovely!
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 22, 2009
7:01 AM

Post #7090810

To Metrosideros, what species worked well in HI, pls advise. Thanks.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

September 22, 2009
7:07 AM

Post #7090824

Hi Iamstar, it is Lavandula dentata.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 23, 2009
10:03 AM

Post #7094868

Thank you..i have it...(French Lavender)..
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

September 23, 2009
5:44 PM

Post #7096222

Good luck , Iamstar!
Isaac
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 28, 2009
10:09 AM

Post #7111807

Dear all;

Update, i sown many varities that i had, they start sprounted and seedling, some with 'true leaf', will keep monitor ..Thank to all...
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

September 30, 2009
5:48 AM

Post #7118878

Iamstar, keep us updated, i hope they all do well!
Isaac
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 14, 2009
8:42 AM

Post #7167177

Dear folks;

I have an updated. with posted picture of 'French' and 'Munstead' Thanks for cheer up.

I also have 3-4 question need your advise.

1. Some seedling, It seem to have 'stem bending', is that cause from too much watering or else.
2. I Some seedling, it seem to have 'burn leaf', is that cause from too sunny or else.
3. how much and how oftern to water the 'seedling' which is 2-5 cm long
4. how much of sun for 'tiny seedling', in my country is rainy season and sometime very hot sun.

THANKSSSS

Thumbnail by iamstar
Click the image for an enlarged view.

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 14, 2009
8:43 AM

Post #7167178

More pic, with burning leaf

Thumbnail by iamstar

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

October 14, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #7168454

Hi Iamstar, Lavender likes to be in full sun, but needs to have well drained soil. It should not be kept in soaking wet conditions. If it is raining a lot you may need to give the plants more shelter, especially till they get larger.
No Lavender will be long lived in a very wet area. The place where I saw Lavandula dentata do well on Maui, was in Upper Kula. It was at about 3,000 ft. elev. and they get about 30 inches of rain per year.

You might try growing the plants in a greenhouse if it is going to be very wet.

Pogostemon cablin, Patchouli, gets nicely scented leaves and flower spikes similar to Lavender, and can handle a lot of rain.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2009
7:40 PM

Post #7168905

It looked to me like your leaves were fine in that seedling. Often the first leaves (which are not really leaves but cotyledons) will start to pale after the true leaves form.

I live in a humid climate, at sea level, and we have trouble growing lavender here. Like metrosideros mentioned, drainage is most important and good air circulation too.
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

October 15, 2009
3:03 AM

Post #7170526

iamstar --may I ask some crudely commercial questions?

Who will your customers for the lavender be?

Do they want fresh cut, dried or plants? --all?

Are they currently buying imported goods, or do you anticipate creating new lavender buyers? What total amount do people spend on lavender now?

It's certainly a terrific "product" --and it sounds like you will have a lock on the market, which is ideal.

That said, you might well consider determining which other plant products your target customers buy, then adding as many of those as practicable to your farming plan. This would lower your risk, which I gauge otherwise inordinately high, based on the many critical factors our friendly DG experts have detailed for you. Sounds like everything must go right, or you will not have the lavender you'd hoped. Should you find that lavender grows nicely and sells well --I trust your judgement, but these are both "bets"-- you can increase its share next season. And year 1, you are not broke if the plants don't grow, or grow and don't sell to your expectations --you'll have spread your risk across other revenue items.

Good luck!
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 15, 2009
3:40 AM

Post #7170712

All;

Thanks for comment,

can anyone help answer to those my each above questions and below questions as well...thanks in advance.

Now not sure 'too much water' or 'too much sun'.
Q> CAN very small tiny Seedling get the full sun? May 'burn leaf' result?
Q>When water the seedling, where should be 'at the base', 'around the base' or somewhere esle.

THANKSSSS.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 15, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #7170740

Q to "ardesia", what is cotyledons, sorry... i dont' get it. thanks.

A to "JPlunket", thank you for your question and concern, we are going to start from zero, no plan for 'real customer' yet to be defined. So far, we expect the only 'farm' that attractive to 'tourist' and 'visitor'. not go beyong for 'lavendor product itself' such oit, dried etc.,

We imagine that, we have free area which so called 'huge yard' and we'd like to set up our own yard to be 'big lavender yard', yes. it may not call farm...it will be our yard and invite visitor or tourist to... Business later, nature firstly.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 15, 2009
3:53 AM

Post #7170745

correction

beyong = beyond
oit = oil
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 15, 2009
4:55 AM

Post #7170892

More info, when I said bending, i found 'brown at base of seedling'. what does it cause, please advise.

THANKSSS.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2009
11:56 AM

Post #7171250

Iamstar, in your picture the cotyledons would be those round leaves that are turning brown. They are often called the 'seed leaf" and they provide food for the growing plant. After the true leaves begin to form the cotyledons begin to die off.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 16, 2009
2:57 AM

Post #7174165

So, let me summary,

1. My seedling don't afraid of full sun,
2. The damping off and burend leaves came from "fungi" and "wet feet". Not by 'full sun'.

Two assumption, am I correct. THANKS ALL.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 22, 2009
4:53 AM

Post #7196121

Update PICs

This 1785 picture has 'brown leaf', these leaves is first set.

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 22, 2009
5:01 AM

Post #7196130

Update Photos

Now I have Munstead+Hidcote more than 100 seedlings...still working closely for 'sun and water maintenance'.

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 22, 2009
5:03 AM

Post #7196137

Those seedling are now at BANGKOK, the capital of THAILAND. This weekend I plan to move 10 of them to the place that we need to plant permanently since the weather there is suit for them, (better weather than BANGKOK for sure).

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 22, 2009
5:05 AM

Post #7196143

And the weekafter, we can check the status of that 10 seedling...Wish me success...
THANKS>

Thumbnail by iamstar

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #7197043

Gosh, your babies are looking great iamstar! Good luck with you lavender yard, it's going to be beautiful! We have a lavender farm here on Maui which is very popular place for the tourists to visit, just as I am sure yours will be too.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #7197537

Things are looking very good, Imastar. That is a nice healthy looking plant. Good luck and keep us posted.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 22, 2009
11:46 PM

Post #7198464

I've never considered growing lavender because it's a cold climate plant. I never thought there'd be any varieties that would take the heat and humidity. Even where you are, 200 - 400 metres above sea level it wouldn't be that much cooler. Where I live the climate is more like Bangkok. But if you're successful in growing it you should sell some at Damnoen Saduak to the tourists with a card showing your address where they can see it grow. Good luck.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

October 24, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #7202247

Hey Tropicbreeze!

Lavandula dentata is a Mediterranean plant native to Spain and North Africa. It would probably do well in your area, as compared to other Lavenders.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 24, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #7202601

Dave, mediterranean plants don't do well here at all. They mostly rot in no time.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

October 24, 2009
5:32 AM

Post #7202773

Excuse me Tropicbreeze, figured they might.

Can you give an average winter temp., and rainfall for your area?
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 24, 2009
6:46 AM

Post #7202821

The climate here is equatorial. I'm a bit inland (50 kms) and the minimum winter temps usually range between 15C to 20C, some years it can spike down to 10C or up to 24C. Maximum winter day temps are around 32C to 34C, with early winter being around 36C and late winter getting up around 38C.

And sea surface temps can get down to 27C but like now, mid spring, they're around 30C to 31.5C. When it warms up they get around 33C to near 34C. On the coast it keeps the minimum temps higher and maximums lower with higher humidity.

It's monsoonal with a distinct wet/dry season division. Rains come from October to May. October, November and May are isolated storms, and this sometimes includes September (like this year 46mm for September). Monsoon from December to April inclusive, but when it weakens we get storms during those months as well. Annual rainfall seems to have increased over the past decade or more, it's supposed to be around 1700mm but has been around the 2000mm mark of late.

Humidity is mostly very high. The dry season it dips down to 30 to 40% during the day but goes up to 85 to 95% in the night. Spikes in humidity have been as low as 9% when we get dry air move in from the interior of the continent. Wet season the humidity is often up around 98% but can sometimes spike down to 60%.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 26, 2009
7:51 AM

Post #7209070

Braveheartsmom : Thanksssss, we wish to see our yard be attractive for human (not only for bee and butterfly) too...

tropicbreeze : your area is quite same to our area. My (to be) lavender yard calling 'rain shadow' which all around we have 400 meter hill around our area. This can protect heavy rain/storm from our moonsoon season (May-Oct). Then we start winter (Nov-Feb) and summer is Mar-Mid May. We wish and cheer you to try, never get the bloom, at least you will get the friends/knowledge, like me, have got a lot from this forum.

All : Last Saturday(Oct 24), I moved 30 seedlings to my hill, put them under the covering area to protect from the heavy rain, but the roof is 80 can be lightened. (my home and my yard is 170 km apart), so I left them with my labor, to watering from my guidance. Two days aleady and I called for check. She said it's all Okay, the weather is climbing down since we will start our winter season here soon. I think all those seedling will get the clean air/cold windy/full sun, which all better than they are in Bangkok. This weekend I will move 100++ seedling to go there. Picture will be posted later.

THANKSS TO ALL.

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 26, 2009
7:53 AM

Post #7209073

correction

OLD : but the roof is 80 can be lightened
NEW : but the roof is more than 80% can be lightened

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 27, 2009
11:02 AM

Post #7212892

Dear all;

While waiting for lavender grow up. Last month, we sowed the 'sunnhemp' (Crotalaria juncea L.) to my land yard. You can see that, the tourists were stoping by and shooting the camera. This was starting bloom about 3 weeks, and still keep bloom and bye (drop).

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 27, 2009
11:03 AM

Post #7212893

More pic

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 27, 2009
11:04 AM

Post #7212897

One more pic

Thumbnail by iamstar

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2009
11:42 AM

Post #7212945

Iamstar. That is a beautiful picture of your land.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 28, 2009
4:31 AM

Post #7215850

All;

I found out that, your area is located either upper 20+++ N or lower 20+++S, that much cooler than we lived here, which is about 13N. Not sure, should lavender can grow but worry about blooming. Can anyone advise, pls.

Thanks.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 28, 2009
4:50 AM

Post #7215884

I'm about 12S and that's why I didn't think it would do any good for you. It doesn't grow here. Some mediterranean plants behave strangely here. I grew radish and left some to go to seed. Then I read that it wouldn't flower in my climate but would grow. Mine just grew larger and larger until they turned into shrubs. The roots became like wood, but they never flowered up til they died. I don't know what lavender will do, but since you have the plants already I'm hoping you'll tell us. The length of day is important to many plants.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 28, 2009
6:38 AM

Post #7215994

tropicbreeze : SURE, I will keep monitoring and let everyone know even good or bad situation. I think you and I (are us) can be a couterpart to 'experiment' this lavender plant. I have one thing can motivate and inspiring myself is, there were (not 'are') lavender bloom in THAILAND, mostly people who grow didn't know the detail of taking care this plant (which need less care). They over watering and not protect in the heavy rain. One area in nothern part of THAILAND call 'Royal project' belong to our HM Royal family, there are agricultural scientist taking the 'lavender project' up there. I and he also share the knowledge as well.

PS. I am an IT guy, still working in BANGKOK at normal working day/hour. Growing lavender still one in my hobby but I am taking seriously for this project, Thanks and nice to talk to you...

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 28, 2009
6:55 AM

Post #7216008

Quite a few people from here go to Thailand and bring back plants. They say the climate is similar around Bangkok and what grows there will grow here. Just that your wet season is our dry season, and vice versa. I know about the Royal Family there being very interested in horticulture, but I think most Thai people are the same and usually try to keep good gardens.

I have to go away from home to work, but my work is out in the bush. My home is closer to Darwin but still far enough away from the city.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

October 29, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #7220352

you have a beautiful property, iamstar! i really hope your lavender flowers, they are such lovely plants. i have tried several times, but they always end up dying. :-(
My best friend is also into IT, can't say i am any good at it.
Isaac
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #7220441

What a beautiful piece of land you have iamstar, and no wonder the tourists were taking pictures of those fields of gold, they are just gorgeous!

Jenn

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

October 29, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #7220526

Beautiful place Iamstar! Your land looks very similar to areas around Hana, Maui.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

November 2, 2009
3:20 AM

Post #7232231

Dear all;

Last Sat/Sun (Oct 31, Nov1), I went to my yard (Suan Phung, Ratchaburi) again to see my seedling. Grasshopper eat my 3 seedling, my labour already killed them and monitor in night time, we also cover with plastic net. No more grasshopper, I hope.

Most of my seedling go very well, I can say that, better than while they were in Bangkok.

I observed that, we have two kind of seedling. Can anyone please adivse to me, which seedling be stronger than (purple at base of the plant, pic 1, 2) or (white at base of the plant pic 3, 4). I am not sure which one is stronger than. Thanks in advance.

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

November 2, 2009
3:31 AM

Post #7232270

Pic 1, with purple at base (French)

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

November 2, 2009
3:34 AM

Post #7232278

Pic 2, with purple at base (Munstead)

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

November 2, 2009
3:37 AM

Post #7232291

Pic 3, with White/purple at base (French)

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

November 2, 2009
3:39 AM

Post #7232294

Pic 4, with White at base (Munstead)...THANKS.

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

November 4, 2009
11:20 AM

Post #7239887

hello...can anyone please help to suggest, which picture is be stronger 1 and 2 or 3 and 4...thanks
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 4, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #7240186

From the photos all I can see is that no. 1 seems to be growing the strongest. But you probably need to be looking at a lot of each of them, and let them get a bit bigger. Just looking at one individual won't give you a real good indication.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #7240195

Good advice, Tropicbreeze. It is not realistic to judge the growth habits of a plant species based on the growth of a couple seedlings. You need to give the seedlings a chance to mature some and then look at the group of each species/variety as a whole, Imastar.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

November 13, 2009
8:36 AM

Post #7269484

Dear all;

Wish everything okay for you guys...

How to protect the kind of worm? My worker called and report me that, there are worm eat some of my seedling from top to bottom of stem... I am going to see them tomorrow and will keep you post (may be I will take some pic)...

Thank and see you next week.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

November 16, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #7277890

UPDATE:

Guys; I've got bad and good news,

My seedling are dying by 'worm', see picture ... (i already sprayed for eradicate that worm, the small green and eat the leaf, and the black one i beleive it's what the worm made it, but i dont' know what is it. Can you please advise... This plant still working since I trimmed some burned leaf off. Wish me luck.

The another difficulty is that from 'root rot' and 'damp off'. My worker gave overwatering, cause my 80 seedling are going to die. I asked her to stop watering and move to new pot, if the root still strong. Let's see next week.

These are my bad news last weekend... (worm and root rot)...

Thanks.

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

November 16, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #7277903

Here is my good news.
There are some 60+ seedling still alive, with a little effected from root rot and worm. I gave them trimed off some burned leaf as well as stop overwatering. This is the strongest plant. This plant is inspiring to me and motivate me to 'keep try' and 'never give up'. Therefore, in BKK yesterday eve, I sow another 600 seeds ...

Cheer!...

THANKS. for any advise, welcome...

Thumbnail by iamstar

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 16, 2009
4:14 AM

Post #7278241

Is there any agricultural department you can ask to find out what that worm is and how best to get rid of it?
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

November 16, 2009
6:08 AM

Post #7278587

Yes, there is. I have a guy who working for 'royal project' and very familiar with lavender, but he is 700 KM far away from my yard. In my local, certainly there is agricultural speicilist, i do believe they can give me some advise, but we need to contact them at office hour, remember that, my yard is far 200 KM from my hometown (BKK) and I still work permanently in IT. Ha ha..

I will check week after this and let see the result after i sprayed some chemical to ridding of the worm (as well as root rot)...

Thank you very much...(sorry, i forgot to take a pic of worm, next week i will).

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 16, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #7279536

Yes, I know what it's like to be a long way out. My home is 260 kms from my work. I do 10 days at work and then get 4 days off at home. It can make life complicated.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

November 18, 2009
3:20 AM

Post #7284899

Question :

I plant my seedling in 3-4 inches pot. What is the best way of watering that alway mention 'deeply', but not often.

I will (from now on) water only once a week, but still don't know how to 'deeply' . I will pour the water at the surface of mix soil, but how much of water per one pot. (seedling tall 2-4 cm).

THANKS in advance.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

November 18, 2009
7:44 AM

Post #7285545

more info regarding "Soil+Sand+Stone (4+8+1),

Soil for planting=4 unit
Coarse Sand= 8 unit
0.5 inch round stone=1 unit (full hands)

this formular help a better drainage, but I think I will put more sand.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

November 20, 2009
7:45 AM

Post #7292063

Question :

I plant my seedling in 3-4 inches pot. What is the best way of watering that alway mention 'deeply', but not often.

I will (from now on) water only once a week, but still don't know how to 'deeply' . I will pour the water at the surface of mix soil, but how much of water per one pot. (seedling tall 2-4 cm).

THANKS in advance.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 20, 2009
10:39 AM

Post #7292142

If you're coming into the dry season now you need to make sure they don't dry out too much. Adult plants can recover from a bit of drying but seedlings aren't so resilient.

That guy working on the royal project, can you telephone him for advice? It seems he'd be the one to give you the best advice.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2009
1:24 PM

Post #7292353

Imastar, here I start my seedlings much as you have, but the pots all sit in trays so that they can be watered from the bottom...water goes into the tray to be absorbed by the roots...excess water is drained off when the top of the soil is damp. This helps to keep the stems from damping off. I am not sure if that method would work for you with the many plants you have, but may be worth trying.
Rikesh
Vacoas
Mauritius

November 22, 2009
9:50 AM

Post #7298908

Are you growing them in cocount coir? --> http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/iamstar_1257132845_879_tn.jpg

I have been researching a bit on growing Lavender in tropical regions.. I'll soon acquire some seeds :)
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

November 23, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #7301510

tropicbreeze : thanks for sharing.
themoonhowl : thanks for sharing, question , is your seedling 'lavender' or else, because levender don't like 'wet fee', i'm not sure the way to water from the bottom, pls advise further,...thanks.
Rikesh, i sown on peat moss, after germinated I transplant them into 3 inches pot with mix San+Soil+stone...(Post #7285545)...
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

November 23, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #7301518

UPDATE : the weather here in my yard is now very good, windy and temp at day 14-20C, at night 8-14 C.

In the beginning of OCT, I have almost 200 seedling. The almost died because;

1. Worm
2. Wet feet/damp off

Now remain 35 seedling...

Still keep monitoring and sow more 1000 seeds again.

Wish me luck...
THANKS.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

November 24, 2009
8:43 AM

Post #7305167

Hi all;

Any once would please suggest on the soil formular...Thanks.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

November 24, 2009
9:32 AM

Post #7305190

Use sterilized native soil. Peat is too wet.

Are you growing Lavandula dentata? Lavandula officinalis is the wrong species for your area!
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

November 26, 2009
4:36 AM

Post #7310736

Metrosideros; from my knowledge (which is very tiny).

I have French Lavender which is Lavandula dentata, am I correct? Yesterday I transplant this one seedling to the real place, hopefully she will grow up well.

I also have Munstead, Hidcotte and English lavender. I don't know exatctly 'Lavandula officinalis' you mean, please advise more.

THANKS>
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2009
5:05 AM

Post #7324205

iamstar, I think the types you mention are for colder climates - we grow all those in England which is much cooler. I think the lavender you need are more the types that are grown around the Mediterrean area.

Whoops! Just read where Dave suggested the Med type. Try googling French lavender or Spanish lavender...

This message was edited Nov 30, 2009 7:08 PM
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

December 1, 2009
10:59 AM

Post #7324436

yes, sure I plant the french type now. It seem to be okay...

Keep monitoring and will keep you post for sure.

THANKS.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

December 14, 2009
2:46 AM

Post #7366330

First of all, i would like to say merry x mas and happy new 2010 year to all of you, (I will be traveling abroad) and may see all of you again at 2010. Thank you and please accept my appreciation on your suggesion/advise/idea/comment...wishing you/your family having the excellent healthy/wealthy through this coming Tiger year, ...

...Beauty like a tiger's eye...
...soft like when she walk...
...aggressive when need...
...calm and alway charming...

iamstar...
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

December 14, 2009
2:50 AM

Post #7366346

Update Picture1

French Long (dentala)

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

December 14, 2009
3:23 AM

Post #7366420

Update Picture2
Munstead #1
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

December 14, 2009
3:25 AM

Post #7366432

Munstead#1

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

December 14, 2009
3:28 AM

Post #7366441

Munstead#2

Thumbnail by iamstar

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #7366497

Have a safe and happy journey Imastar. Wishing you and yours the very best this year of the Tiger has to offer.

The plants seem to be thriving and look good. Best of luck with the lavenders.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2009
5:29 AM

Post #7366724

Happy Holidays and travel safely - see you in 2010!
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 14, 2009
6:49 AM

Post #7366794

merry Xmas and happy 2010!!
safe travels!
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

January 4, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #7425737

hi, everyone...i'm back...wishing all of you have a great celebration on new year day...

Excellent healthy be with you/your family...

here're the update picture from my yard, Munstead#1

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

January 4, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #7425745

Munstead#2

(they are very strong and keep growing in 'sandy soil' with full sun...

Thumbnail by iamstar

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2010
2:09 PM

Post #7426237

A joyful and prosperous New Year to you also Imastar. The plants look quite happy.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

January 6, 2010
9:41 AM

Post #7433806

Happy New Year to you too, Iamstar! i think your plants are looking good!
isaac
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

January 19, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #7475462

Update : Lavender status;

I totally moved the growing seed to Suan Phung (far from my hometown 200 KMs)., they are keep growing good with 'construction sand'. I also tried to transplant some of them to the real world which I bed 'rock+sand' for 1 foot high, adding some 'lime' for first start. Keep monitoring and looking okay,

At Bankgok, Funny thing that, the dropped peat-moss to the tree that I plantted them. Not care for water supply or rain or else. Amaze that, they keep germinate everyday, some day i found 4-6 seedling were germinated. I will call them 'daily lavender', ha ha..

Thanks..
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

January 19, 2010
9:13 AM

Post #7475466

Further update :

I am afraid to use soil (normal growing soil)+ sand, since my gardener do oftern 'over-watering' even I suggest her to look at 'moist' or 'dry'. She thought this seedling need water (similar to her experience), then she killed over 500 seedling last year (by root rot), i think.

Today, she understand more a bit how to control 'water supply', and she spend time for a tinky seedling from some bugs (grasshopper), that love to eat my baby seedling from stem to crown.

Any suggestions, are welcome...THANKS PAL...
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

February 3, 2010
9:19 AM

Post #7524907

Dear all;

I've got this lavender from 'Royal project' nothern part of THAILAND. The officer didn't know the detail of this spec. Can anyone confirm my understanding of this lavender plant. (i bought 20 pots which contained more than 20 plants) and plan to plan-test at my lavender yard. Thanks.

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

February 3, 2010
9:23 AM

Post #7524911

more picture.

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

February 3, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #7524917

Update picture : (from my own growing...)
Munstead#1

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

February 3, 2010
9:32 AM

Post #7524918

Munstead#2

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

February 3, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #7524920

FrenchLong type

Thumbnail by iamstar

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2010
2:38 PM

Post #7525394

Imastar, I think that might be Lavendula dentata green

http://www.petesherbs.com/lavender.htm#Dentata

Things are looking good. Congratulations.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

April 18, 2010
9:51 PM

Post #7716940

Hi everyone...i'm back...
Update picture here Munstead#1..fast growing.

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

April 18, 2010
10:17 PM

Post #7717007

Munstead#2, normal growing

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

April 18, 2010
11:29 PM

Post #7717100

French type;

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

April 18, 2010
11:37 PM

Post #7717103

In Thailand, we facing really hot weather, some seedling are gone. Most of the rest seedling now put very good taking care of, the colder will come soon, we plan to plant them in the real world. Wish me luck..bye.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

May 23, 2010
4:32 AM

Post #7819005

Thailand back to normal, we HOPE...
my lavender are fine...next month we plan to move them to the real planting...
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

May 24, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #7824570

Update picture of my lavender :
Munstead#1

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

May 24, 2010
8:09 PM

Post #7824600

Update picture of my lavender :
Munstead#2...actually there are many munstead (Seedling+plant)...will share picture to you all later once they are seem more stronger...

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

May 24, 2010
8:16 PM

Post #7824617

French type update

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

May 24, 2010
8:22 PM

Post #7824632

French baby seedling...

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

May 24, 2010
8:28 PM

Post #7824641

lavender yard in preparation...We thank you every suggestion, guidance, comment here in this forum...we have many knowhow and keep improve everyday...THANKSSS

Thumbnail by iamstar

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2010
5:56 AM

Post #7825276

Everything is looking very good Imastar. I am very happy they are thriving for you.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

July 10, 2010
8:54 AM

Post #7957306

Hi all;

Almost 2 months I haven't to update you all, wish everyone still remember our project, just would like to share that, our lavender in bangkok are keep growing with special care.

At our yard, Suan Phung, our Munstead and French are keep better and better, now we are in the moonsoon season. Hardening to heavy rain is our tough homework. Will update you all for next a couple months.

See ya.
iamstar...
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2010
3:13 PM

Post #7993780

Glad all is growing so well for you Iamstar - it's all looking good!
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

July 31, 2010
8:38 AM

Post #8008577

let us know, and glad its all growing!
isaac
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

August 1, 2010
7:31 AM

Post #8010607

Hi, everyone;;

First ever English Lavender (munstead) bud in Bangkok@my home yard, Thailand. It's ever the record.

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

August 1, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #8010625

Lavender Munstead growing from Seed set in Bangkok @my home yard, Thailand.
Pic#1

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

August 1, 2010
7:40 AM

Post #8010634

Lavender Munstead growing from Seed set in Bangkok @my home yard, Thailand.
Pic#2 (there are 6 plants, I will update later)... Thanks for the cheering...

Thumbnail by iamstar

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #8011893

They are looking great!! Good job growing them!!
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

August 15, 2010
8:29 AM

Post #8041138

hi iamstar, hows you lavender doing?
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

August 16, 2010
2:21 AM

Post #8042499

Since we are facing moonsoon season, the lavender in bangkok (i think) get overwatering, then the brown show at the stem, pls advise, (do i get the right guess). Thanks.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

August 16, 2010
2:23 AM

Post #8042500

Here is Eng lavender at bangkok, it's nearest to bloom, but due to heavy rain, i cut it off.

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

August 16, 2010
2:32 AM

Post #8042501

Then you can see the cut off
A : Eng bud from bangkok plant
B : Eng cut from bangkok plant (due to overwatering, i guess)
C: Eng cut, i've got from capetown, SA last two years, when my family were there.
D: Dentala bud, i've got from Royal project, nothern part of Thailand this early year.

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

August 16, 2010

Post #8042503

And they are Dentala, at Suan phung... pic 1/2

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

August 16, 2010
2:40 AM

Post #8042507

Another pic of Eng lavender at bangkok (but the same plant as the above#8042500)

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

August 16, 2010
2:45 AM

Post #8042509

Dentala at suan phung, pic 2/2

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

August 16, 2010
2:51 AM

Post #8042510

Can anyone confirm my understanding of the plant get 'brown' and leave get 'gray', not green. Thanks in advance.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

August 31, 2010
3:01 AM

Post #8072077

test
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

August 31, 2010
10:36 AM

Post #8072740

Hi iamstar, i have no clue about lavender, but i think thats normal. but i am not sure, as i have never personally grown lavender.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #8073465

I'm not sure about the brown part but the gray part I think is true.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

August 31, 2010
8:27 PM

Post #8073816

I've seen lots of lavender with greyish or silvery leaves.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 1, 2010
7:05 AM

Post #8074310

Iamstar, If I understand your question correctly, yes that is normal. As the plant matures the base becomes woody and the leaves that no longer get sun die. I was told by a grower that you should NOT cut back to that mature growth, as it won't regenerate.
Hope this helps.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 2, 2010
3:07 AM

Post #8075958

Thanks all, I will be waiting for the end of monsoon season (Oct onwards), and let see the new growth or die forever...THANKS AGAIN.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 2, 2010
3:12 AM

Post #8075966

This coming weekend, I am going to see my lavender yard at SuanPhung, there are some flowers (dentala type). I have to wait until dry-weather and will start to first prune them off (trial for some plant).
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

September 2, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #8076388

good luck, and let us know how they look! even though i have no lavender, i find this thread very interesting!
isaac
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 2, 2010
7:16 PM

Post #8077410

you are all my partner to establish 'lavender filed' in THAILAND...
bedouin
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

September 21, 2010
2:05 AM

Post #8111325

I believe if you can grow Rosemary, then you'll find the same conditions are perfect for lavender. I've tried lavender quite a few times, but have never been successful in getting it established. Wish I could as I love the fragrance and flowers. Just curious...have you tried to grow lemon verbena in your climate?
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 21, 2010
2:08 AM

Post #8111327

Question and need suggestion :

What happend to this Eng Lavender (effect only 2-3 plants from other).

Additional info : Planted on raised bed, with rock/sand.
More often raining, stop manual watering.
Almost 1year old for this plant.
Temp between 20-27 c, mild humid.
Other Eng and French (dentala) are fine, not effect.

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 21, 2010

Post #8111335

Other Eng Lavender seedling,

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 21, 2010
2:37 AM

Post #8111336

The French (Dentala) are just fine and flowering even we've got raining. (how come!)...

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 21, 2010
3:40 AM

Post #8111360

If you see the picture that posted around Apr-May (summer season in Thailand), this plant look good, but after get raining, they look 'grey'. Suggest and comment, please. Thanks.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 21, 2010
3:46 AM

Post #8111365

Answer to bedouin, thanks for your comment, we never try lemon verbena by the way... we would need to breaking the record of 'growing lavender in South East Asia...That's fun and challenge...thanks anyway for cheer...
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

September 21, 2010

Post #8111942

um, not a clue iamstar! maybe dave (metrisoderos) can help us. i have seen him lately, wonder where he has disappeared to???
Dave?? you there?
isaac
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 21, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #8113062

If this cause from either Pythium or Fusarium , how should we , how to remove and protect...thank you.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 24, 2010
2:53 AM

Post #8117818

From close to far;
My Dam and creek,
My cottage and
the farest is my lavender nursery house...

Just to share for you...

Thank you...

Thumbnail by iamstar

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 24, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #8119120

That is beautiful, iamstar!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

September 24, 2010
4:02 PM

Post #8119137

Is that a wet season photo? Do you still have that much water in the dry season?
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 26, 2010
7:25 PM

Post #8122917

Answer to 'tropicbreeze',

During July-Oct is our monsoon season, it's rainy day. Yes, that photo had been taken around Aug this year, it's only starting point of rainy season. Last two weeks, there are much more rain at the border of Thailand/Myanmar (Burma), and the wild water came a ton down hill to the creek.

Unfortunately, Last Saturday I went to see and found that, my dam already broke cause from the wild water which destroy the bank of the dam,

My purpose of this dam to save the water during dry period (Nov-May)... i have to fix it soon...

This message was edited Sep 27, 2010 9:54 AM
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 26, 2010
7:32 PM

Post #8122927

FYI,
Dam was built by put more than 100 Tons of mountain rock, and Filling holes with portland cement..The dam itself very strong, but the bank was poor, I have to build more stronger the bank...

The pond WxLxH = 8mx60mx1.7m that can contain the water more than 100,000 litre... The stronger bank will rebuild after we pass the heavy rain/water this season...will cost that much...again.. LOL..
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 26, 2010
7:42 PM

Post #8122946

from last week picture,

All the big rock under the the wild water and you can see my worker standing on the top of the dam, the water raised over his knee (compare the previous picture, that we can see the top of the dam). The water widely and strongly down hill, my neighbor were facing the same problem, the poor dam are destroyed.

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 26, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #8122950

another picture of lastweek (all rock are under the water)...

This message was edited Sep 27, 2010 9:44 AM
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 26, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #8122959

pic2

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 26, 2010
7:50 PM

Post #8122961

pic3

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 26, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #8122966

pic 4 (before destroy) the water speed before dam 10sec/10 m., but after the dam 3sec/10 m.

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 26, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #8122976

Can anyone comment and suggest regarding
Post #8111327
September 21, 2010
04:08 PM

THANKSSSSS
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

September 27, 2010
2:52 AM

Post #8123214

I also have a dam, but it's not part of my creek. Surface run off water from part of my property goes into it. It doesn't hold water during the dry season, the soil type isn't good for that. The dimensions are 28 metres by 30 metres and 5 metres deep.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 28, 2010
3:12 AM

Post #8125297

That lovely, tropicbreeze...
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

September 28, 2010
5:22 AM

Post #8125431

Thanks. It's nice when full. But at the moment it's dry and I'm waiting for the wet season to get a start and fill it up.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 3, 2010
8:13 PM

Post #8135861

Can anyone please comment and suggest regarding
Post #8111327
September 21, 2010
04:08 PM

THANKSSSSS
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 3, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #8135891

Here are my lavender @bangkok (compare to posted was on Aug 1, up there). They faced very rain and I think they are all died. (pic 1/2)

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 3, 2010
8:33 PM

Post #8135900

pic2/2

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 3, 2010
8:40 PM

Post #8135916

1 week after sowed...having fun with this plant...

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 4, 2010
8:24 AM

Post #8136532

Now with heavy/2 days, 2nights raining, make cataract "Wild water" and flooding in & near my land yard..., some major bridge already broke, some are nearly to break... this cause from forest and trees on 'Ta-nao-Sri' mountain range were destroyed from illegal investor. No tree and its roots to slow down the water, then the big destroy from the power of 'mother nature' is proving...

My land yard a bit effect from flooding, I have to wait for next 2 weeks to come and see...

Wish everything fine there...(both living and non-living things)...God bless..
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 4, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #8136538

I meant :@Suan Phung, Rachaburi ... the western provincail of Thailand...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2010
3:26 PM

Post #8137337

So sorry to hear of all the damage from the monsoons. I hope all goes well for you Iamstar

Here is some info on treating fungus on rosemary.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/identifying-diseases-that-harm-rosemary-plants

http://www.ehow.com/how_5896748_remove-fungus-rosemary.html

http://yardener.com/YardenersPlantHelper/FoodGardening/CulinaryHerbs/Rosemary/ProblemsofRosemary
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 5, 2010
8:31 PM

Post #8140209

Appreciated, themoonhowl;
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 19, 2010
12:14 AM

Post #8163662

All;

Good news, my both French and English lavender (growing from seed) are starting flower. Post will be shared later.

Sad news, cause from the cartaract (wild water), my dam and some land gone! I have to re-create new bank/dam (to save the water during next dry season). What a lanina..
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 19, 2010
12:17 AM

Post #8163667

by the way, I motivate myself, even i lost some land (sandy land), but I've got the bigger creek and some island, lol...
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 26, 2010
9:32 PM

Post #8178616

we are going to have a big 'love song' concert so called 'season of love song@SuanPhung, Thailand'. Will be held on Nov 27th, from 4pm till 4am. This is to promote both Resort, SuanPhung district and attractive destination. The organizer expect to have 20,000 people to join.

I have to support for at least 3000 cars parking area for this big event.. Will share you the photo later..

The weather at that moment in between 9C (late night) - 27C(noon). The couple, lover, and teenager are expected to join this huge concert...can't wait...

This message was edited Oct 27, 2010 11:34 AM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2010
4:43 AM

Post #8178859

Sounds like an exciting and busy time ahead for you. Good luck with your preparations and enjoy the concert.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

November 29, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #8236691

The concert is over, around 30,000 people (local, visitor, organizer) are all together at Season of Love Song concert festival. Shared pictures here.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=548193&o=all&op=1&view=all&subj=102605726466834&id=100000478934162#!/photo_search.php?oid=102605726466834&view=all

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2010
7:11 AM

Post #8237359

Looks like it was a real success. Everyone seemed to be having a good time. Congratulations.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2010
7:46 PM

Post #8238365

Thanks for sharing your pictures with us - it looks like a wonderful time.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

December 7, 2010
10:42 AM

Post #8248634

How is everything going for you now?

I heard there were terrible floods in Thailand, so sad.

Is your Lavender still growing?

Melissa in St. Croix, the Caribbean Sea
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

December 16, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #8263237

Dear all;

Everything keep going well with my lavender... IT's now dry season in Suan Pueng, Ratchaburi province Thailand.

We are going to perform our grand opening (Dec 17th, 2010) on some area in our land yard. The concept is for visitiors/tourrism 'Tent camping'. The place so called 'BedKAMP by The Star Above'. See our website 'www.TheStarAbove.com' for ref. This is high season here in Thailand which is the weather is pretty good for camping... No more rain here and we are going for the x-mas fest, year-end fest and all celebrations...as well as you are...

Wonderful that, we have known together almost 2 years...IT's very greatful...on your kindness...

THANK YOU..

Thumbnail by iamstar

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2010
1:52 PM

Post #8263858

Best of luck with your camping area, Iamstar. Also, Best wishes to you and your family for a safe, peaceful holiday season.

Happy Celebrations, Moon
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

December 16, 2010

Post #8263968

Thanksssssss...moon..
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2010
5:59 AM

Post #8264652

Congratulations on your grand opening today, Iamstar! I am sure you will have lots of happy campers.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

December 20, 2010
9:30 AM

Post #8269089

Thank you to all;

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

January 17, 2011
4:41 AM

Post #8314654

Happy new year to all my friends...I've been very busy on my 'camping' project. That was great even we've just open and new to the customer...

Regarding 'lavender'... we have 'show case' for some of 'french dentata' and 'munstead blue' which they are flowering...we welcome tourist for 'free entrance', they can donate some money to 'visit our area'...

Dried lavender (were cut on last Oct) now ready for 'soft opening for sale' ...

See more pic at facebook 'iamstar susitar' or http://www.thestarabove.com

THANK YOU to all and best wishes come to you/your family...

Love,
Iamstar...

picture... (dried lavender sachet)

Thumbnail by iamstar

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2011

Post #8315253

Congratulations, Imastar. Best of the new year to you also. Good news on your lavender...the sachets look lovely

.Best regards for a successful new year. Moon
chibalayon
Bacolod City
Philippines

February 20, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8383203

I have been reading iamstar's lavender farm in thailand, was he successful. I just got a farm up in the mountain,2000 ft above sea level and would like to start a lavender farm in the Philippines if possible. Also I am traveling to Thailand next week . Is there a possibility to link with him and maybe visit his farm?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2011
5:18 AM

Post #8383716

It would seem that things are progressing well for Imastar. Chibalayon, you might try sending Imastar a D-mail here on DG or try logging into the camp website.

http://www.thestarabove.com Also, Imastar has a facebook page under the name imastar susitar. Good luck with your venture.

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

February 23, 2011
12:00 AM

Post #8387649

Thanks 'Moon'... I love your word ' things are progressing well'...

chibalayon, I've replied you on the face book and we may can in touch while you are in Thailand...My farm are 2.5 hours far from Bangkok, by drive.

Correction : my face book is 'IAMSTAR SUSITAR'...

Thanks to all..

http://www.TheStarAbove.com

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2011
3:59 AM

Post #8387742

You are welcome Iamstar. Sorry for the typo on your FB page. I do indeed hope things are progressing well for you.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

April 13, 2011
8:50 PM

Post #8494213

We are going to develop our web for ENG version, then you are welcome to visit us..

Right now our lavender still keep growing, a bit slow because of weather keep chaging, more cloudy, some raining... flowering less, keep monitor and will share you later...

Best wishes to all of you..

iamstar...

Face book "iamstar susitar" , you can add me to be your friends...
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

April 13, 2011
8:56 PM

Post #8494222

In Thailand now, we celebrating 'Songkran Festival'... which is our 'Thais New Year celebration'...so I would like everyone here be 'WET'

W = Wealthy
E = Excellent Healthy
T = Triumphantly

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2011
4:21 AM

Post #8494479

Best wishes for a very WET year for you also iamstar. Have you more pictures for us? How are things going with the campground?
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

May 26, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8588322

Hi folks;

Just to share you that, now we starting 'for try' on 'propagate by cutting'. It seem to be work, some cutting show me that, root is growing...

In our lavender yard, there are 600 plants already...

Who know, we can grow lavender in Thailand and they give us 'flowering' as well.

We have to wait to let them grow and be stronger, then the product from lavender will be later.

I am so pround and thanks all everyone in DaveGarden, appreciated.

Thanks and wish everyone have a wonderful day...
IamStar
facebook : iamstar susitar

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8588348

Well done, Iamstar - fancy 600 hundred plants! They are going to be a sight to behold when they are all flowering. We have a lavender farm here in "up country" Maui. They make all kinds of soaps and things from their flowers as well as do tours of their fields, it's very popular with the tourists.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2011
12:06 PM

Post #8588753

My goodness. That is great news, Iamstar. You will have quite the tourist attraction before long between the gardens and campground. Best wishes for continued good fortune.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

June 5, 2011
3:13 AM

Post #8609837

ALL;

you can see most update pic from our facebook 'iamstar susitar'. We've just joint the event at our neighbor cheep farm... since more of pictures there, you are invited to view those pic via f/b...

Thank you.

sample of pic. before heavy rain...

This message was edited Jun 5, 2011 5:17 PM

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

June 19, 2011
7:58 AM

Post #8639967

All friends;

Update Lavender flower picture from my farm, you can see more pictures from my facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001660933589#!/media/set/?set=a.163289257069771.44664.100001660933589

Thank you...

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

June 19, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8639996

some more pictures. The real Lavender flower bundle... "Lavender in Thailand" ...IT's real...

Thank you...

This message was edited Jun 19, 2011 10:13 PM

This message was edited Jun 19, 2011 10:15 PM

Thumbnail by iamstar

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8640696

Congratulations Iamstar. Best wishes for your continued success.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8640938

Looks like it's a sucess!! That's great!!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8646706

Gosh Iamstar, it's looking wonderful!
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

July 26, 2011
12:38 AM

Post #8715664

All;

Update picture for you...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.117113175050693.21301.105436712885006&type=1

Facebook 'IamStar Susitar'.

Thanks for cheer up..
Iamstar..

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2011

Post #8716851

What healthy looking plants. So happy all is working out well for you. Thanks for the update
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

July 28, 2011
9:11 AM

Post #8720865

FYI, our website is ready for you in ENG version. Since I am not a native English speaker , your advise is welcome for correction in the content... Thanks.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2011
9:19 PM

Post #8722250

Iamstar, the website looks very good. I think you did a very good job with translation as I know Thai to English is rather difficult. I did not see anything that required correction. There were some very minor sentence structure issues, but nothing I would not expect in a translation and none of it had any incorrect meanings. You have done very well in your enterprise and should be very proud of your accomplishments. Growing lavender in Thailand's climate is quite an accomplishment. Congratulations and continued best wishes for your success.

Moon
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

July 28, 2011
9:34 PM

Post #8722274

Moon, many thanks for your comment...that all make me proud both Lavender and my English skill...

IamStar...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2011
9:41 PM

Post #8722285

Iamstar, you are very welcome. And believe me, your English language skills are infinitely better than my Thai skills...grin
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

July 31, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8726969

iamstar,
On your website, you should make the photo image files (jpegs?) smaller --they take far too long to show up on the viewers' screens. I'm not talking about the physical dimensions of the photos --the image files you've got loaded onto your host server are too large, as measured by "bytes" of data they contain (kb or MB). Suggest you start again with your original image files, from the camera. I'm guessing those files are 1 megabyte or larger --too large for the main pages of a website, since they take too long to load onto your viewers' computer screens. Open the large files in an application such as PhotoShop, then "Save As", and you'll find an option to reduce the file size. Choose to make each one of them about 100kb, then up load all the smaller images to your hosting server, replacing the ones there now, using exactly the same file names.

There may be other aspects of your website that make it load so slowly, but if you're lucky, this change alone will have your website opening in one tenth the time it now takes. If it doesn't, use the diagnostic features your hosting service should be providing, and it will guide you to slutions for anything else that's making the site so slow.

THis is important, because most people will just not wait around for your website to load. Also, I'd skip the intro page, go right to your lavender page. ANother thing: make sure you follow through a comprehensive "SEO" (search engine optimization) process, which will help A LOT in getting your website to show up higer in the results list when people use a search engine (like google or ask.com or bing).
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

August 3, 2011
8:53 PM

Post #8735719

ALL;

Thank you for the wonderful comments, let see how will improve soonest...

medlarman

medlarman
Fairfax, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2011
8:15 PM

Post #8747729

I agree 100% with jplunket. Even 100kb is pretty large; my guess is that most people who access the site are going to be accessing from relatively slow connections. SAM_1497, SAM_1476, SAM_1284(2), and SAM_1480 (linked directly from the main page) are all over 2MB in size. Especially if you are paying for your website's bandwidth, you are going to want to change that ASAP.

Also, when I click, I don't seem to get the English version; it's almost all Thai. Am I missing it, or is there some language auto-detection that is not working? I am using the latest version of Firefox on MacOS X.

I just want to add that it's absolutely incredible that you managed to get lavender growing so well in Thailand! My best wishes for your continued success.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

August 19, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8764597

Thanks for the comment, but i can not familiar with files you mentiond "SAM_1497, SAM_1476, SAM_1284(2), and SAM_1480", where are they, i couldn't find them.

For the Eng version, you have to click at the 'top right corner' of the first page, you will see 'US nation flag and ENG'. Then you may access Eng version, pls let me know your next visit if troble still occurs.

THANKS all for comment and cheer up...

medlarman

medlarman
Fairfax, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8778892

Hi Iamstar,

Whoops! I see the language link now. No idea how I missed it.

Anyway, the SAM files are the images. If you right click on e.g. the picture on the top left, the one with the lavender flowers in front of the computer screen, and then choose "view image info" in Firefox or "Properties" in Internet Explorer, you can see that the picture is coming from http://www.thestarabove.com/uploadz/SAM_1497.JPG and it is 2.3 megabytes.

When checking image sizes like this, I like using Firefox because from the "View Image Info" screen, you can quickly check all of the individual images on the web pages and find out their sizes.

To see what the picture looks like in its full size, you can go directly to http://www.thestarabove.com/uploadz/SAM_1497.JPG in your browser. Click once on the picture to expand it, and you will see that the real picture it is much bigger and much better quality than it needs to be! If these pictures are shrunk and made less high quality then your website will load much faster.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2011
5:54 AM

Post #8803245

Hi Iamstar. Just wanted to wish you a very Happy Birthday. Hope you have a lovely day.

Best wishes on your birthday and in the the coming year.

Moon
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8804127

Happy Birthday Iamstar!
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 11, 2011
9:22 PM

Post #8804431

Sep11th is actually the birth day of my daughter, her name is 'STAR'. She is now 7 years old..

Thank you very much for all sweet wishes and your goodwill message to STAR. She is a good and happy young girl, and will sure more beloved from all of you. Thank you very much..

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 11, 2011
9:31 PM

Post #8804439

@nokesvillain, normally we suggest to our visitor to see our update picture from either:

-from http://www.TheStarAbove.com click at 'STAR Galaxy' which contained the pictures gallery.

-from "Iamstar Susitar" facebook, visitor can see our update picture there as well.

Thanks for your advise...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8805770

Happy Birthday to your daughter!! I have a neice who was born on the same day, same year. We went and celebrated her birthday yesterday. :~)
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 17, 2011
9:51 AM

Post #8812220

@pepper23, we wish happy birth day to your niece...THANKS.

Dear ALL, update pictures for you...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.203409286391101.53026.100001660933589&type=1

IamStar
Thailand.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 21, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8818635

IamStar. I have had good luck with Spanish Lavender at my home in Florida. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1704/

It is easy from seed planted during cool weather. http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/perennials/lavender.html We have a large drop in tempature and humdity during Nov-Feb.

Here is a photo of some plants I saw in Napa, California. I will take some photos of my plants here (soon).

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 14, 2011
12:13 AM

Post #8848349

deleted by IamStar.

This message was edited Oct 14, 2011 2:18 PM
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

October 14, 2011
12:20 AM

Post #8848351

Thanks DaleTheGardener, for your pics and info..That's beautiful. !!
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

November 24, 2011
10:32 PM

Post #8904682

Dear all;

I'm back from BKK flood.. that effected to my life and family. Now we recover for some.

I have planned to open the farming and agro tourist at the beg. of Dec2011. The "BarrRam&U cheap sheep" is our local-small sheep farm. The "Y SO Purple lavender back yard" is also our first lavender field in Thailand.

WELCOME...to 'the star above farm hill'

This message was edited Nov 25, 2011 1:33 PM

This message was edited Nov 25, 2011 3:09 PM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2011

Post #8904915

Iamstar...so glad you and the family are all okay. Best of luck on the openings in December.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

December 22, 2011
9:19 PM

Post #8940086

Dear all;

I will be away from this forum for a while, during season greeting.. Before that, I totally never forget to say...

Merry xMas and Happy New Year

TO you and your Family...

Love.
iamstar

http://www.facebook.com/TheStarAbove

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8940337

Best Wishes to you and your family Iamstar. I hope the New Year brings you great Joy and Prosperity.

Kindest Regards of the Season,
Moon
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

December 29, 2011
3:03 AM

Post #8946259

Happy New Year for all of you..

You have brains in your head...
You have feet in your shoes...
You can steer yourself...
any direction you choose...
You'll be on your way up!...
You'll be seeing great sights!...
You'll join the high fliers...
who soar to high heights...
You won't lag behind, because you'll have the speed...
You'll pass the whole gang and you'll soon take the lead...
Wherever you fly, you'll be best of the best...
Wherever you go, you will top all the rest.

http://www.facebook.com/TheStarAboveFarmHill

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8946453

Oh the Places You'll Go...I love Dr Seuss.

Best wishes for a Healthy Prosperous New Year, Iamstar.

Moon
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

January 13, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #8966037

Have a Happy New Year to all of you...

I've been very busy during year-end... people came to stay at our camping yard and visit our lavender yard and small sheep farm...

you can see our picture here at http://www.facebook.com/TheStarAboveFarmHill

please support by sharing fan-page and suggest your friends to press LIKE...

THANK YOU and Love you all;

IamSTAR
[picture-STAR my lovely daughter and our young Eng. lavender plant]

Thumbnail by iamstar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

January 13, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #8966041

STAR says to all of you : "Sawas Dee Pee Mai Kha'... Means "Happy New Year"...

Thumbnail by iamstar

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #8966124

And to Star...I do hope this is correct

ความปรารถนาที่ดีที่สุดสำหรับชีวิตที่ยืนยาวและมีความสุข, สตาร์
chibalayon
Bacolod City
Philippines

January 29, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #8987100

I bought seeds from the US and tried propagating but have not been successful. Where am I going wrong. I have some plants which I bought here and are growing well. I am hoping to have a lavender field up in the mountain here in the Philippines.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

April 4, 2012
3:35 AM

Post #9069101

All;

2 months of disappeared, both from the forum and my lavender. I spent 2 months in BKK and have no time to see my lavender there.. Hope is coming weekend I can take a look to see their development in a good manner...

Best wishes for all of you...

IamSTAR
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

April 26, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9099456

There is no flowering at this moment.

French Dentata just trimmed.
Eng Angustifolia facing the troble from 'termites', they eat from root and make some plant died. We are waiting for better weather to make some cut back...

wish me luck.
IamStar

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

May 21, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9132926

To dispel those termites. The trial non-chemical solution will be nematodes (Steinrnema thailandense) that support from our local DOA-Department of Agriculture... the outcome will be posted soon... THANKS.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2012

Post #9133295

Good luck to you...termites can be so damaging. Hope the nematodes take care of the problem.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

May 31, 2012
12:15 AM

Post #9145683

We've tried on last Saturday eve. and Monday morning, each bag contained 300 million nematodes (fresh). We spent 25 bags which is approximate 7,500,000,000 nematodes spread out to destroy those termites. We have to monitor a week later to see the impact and amount of decrease. Wish us LUCK...

This message was edited May 31, 2012 2:17 PM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9146018

Fingers crossed and best of luck for you. Hope the nematodes take care of the problem.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

June 5, 2012
3:02 AM

Post #9152847

Just found today that, google earth (or google map) has an update photo, see our farm view from google, thanks technology...

Thumbnail by iamstar

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9153016

Neat. How is the termite battle coming? Are the nematodes helping?
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

June 5, 2012
10:27 PM

Post #9154146

I called to my workers, they observed that, the number of termite is slightly decreasing. I have to see by myself since I'm now in BKK. Plan to visit again by mid of June or later.

I will bring more nematodes at that moment, because the DOA suggest to repeat within a month. This method can not destroy immediately, but will be 'life long' and 'safety' to earth, animal (mammal).. i hope...

Thank you for asking...

IamStar

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9154345

Sounds like they are starting to work. Glad to hear it. Hopefully they will continue to protect your plants.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

June 11, 2012
2:52 AM

Post #9160070

Update picture of our flower, sheep and termite (to be destroyed)...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.407373262647299.107384.201790816538879&type=1
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

June 25, 2012
12:32 AM

Post #9179415

Dear all;

Nematodes worked well... number of termites decreased and lavender look stronger..

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.415237151860910.109080.201790816538879&type=1

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9179684

That is very good news. Glad the problem is being solved.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

August 30, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9259200

Dear friends;

This beginning of the week... our sheep gave us 1 baby (female lamb)... See her pic here...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.440469182671040.116041.201790816538879&type=1

Lavender come more back stronger than the previous months... Keep more try...

Thanks.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9259438

Awww...Casey is a sweetie. Congratulations. Sounds like things are going well for you. Happy to hear the lavender is coming back well and strong.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9271899

iamstar, just wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday. Hope your day is filled with laughter and much joy.

Best Wishes for a long life and much happiness...Moon

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9272380

Happy Birthday iamstar!!!
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 13, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9274486

THANK YOU everyone for your kind message:-]
September 11th is our dearest STAR's birth day. She is 8 years of age. :-p
STAR would like to express sincerely grateful for your best wishes to her. :-0

Appreciated,
STAR and family.
bedouin
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 7, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9298946

Some interesting info in the 'tropics' search which may help.

What types of lavender are grown in the TROPICS
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGHP_enUS415US415&q=What types of lavender are grown in the tropices

Types of Lavender grown in PROVENCE, FRANCE.
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGHP_enUS415US415&q=provance, France. what types of Lavender grown there

Types of Lavender grown in OREGON, USA
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGHP_enUS415US415&q=Oregon%2c+USA+what+types+of+Lavender+grown+there

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

December 10, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9354536

Quite a while, away from the forum.. wish everyone are okay...

Have a nice day..
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

December 30, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9370490

Happy NEW YEAR to all of my friend in DG...wishing you / your family have a wonderful moment...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9370675

สวัสดีปีใหม่, iamstar
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

March 16, 2013
8:11 AM

Post #9451206

Dear friends;

TheStarAbove still alive... LoL... Just very busy with the permanent employment, but our lavender are keep growing and flowering..

Wishing everyone have a wonderful day...Those pictures of our lavender are FOR YOU!!!

See more pictures here at http://www.facebook.com/TheStarAboveFarmHill

Thumbnail by iamstar   Thumbnail by iamstar   Thumbnail by iamstar   Thumbnail by iamstar   Thumbnail by iamstar
Click an image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2013
8:12 AM

Post #9451210

Bravo! Glad to hear all is going well. The Lavender looks great.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

March 16, 2013
8:29 AM

Post #9451221

Moon;

Thanks... It's not our proud only that, Thailand (Thai citizen) can grow and made for bloom of this native Mediterranean plant, but it's our proud in DG which many suggests/advises/comment/Cheer up from this valued forum.

We've learnt that, any plant can grow and give us the expected result if we pay more attention, never give up, experiment, trial and error and improve... We can touch and smell our inspiration of this flower.

Grateful,
IamStar

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2013
9:47 AM

Post #9451286

Iamstar,

We all do better with a little help from our friends...good advice and attention to detail makes for great success. I am so pleased that the lavender farm is doing so well.

Nice to see an update. Hope this finds you and your family well and happy.

Best regards,
Moon
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

May 13, 2013
8:39 PM

Post #9519666

Humid harming our lavender...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2013
5:51 AM

Post #9519940

Sorry to hear that...too much rain and humidity are not conducive to high yields with lavender...fingers crossed you get more drying winds and a little less rain.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

May 28, 2013
11:39 PM

Post #9537915

Update picture/clips for you, folks...

Thank you.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

September 24, 2013
7:42 PM

Post #9669495

4 years in DG... Thanks everyone..
jahnnabanana
Laguna
Philippines

October 4, 2013
11:52 PM

Post #9678303

Hi everyone! I'm an avid gardener and new to this forum. I'm so happy I found this thread!.

I've had very good success in planting heirloom tomatoes, aubergines, leafy greens and peppers. I've been wanting to grow lavender for several years now because I just love the scent and I imagined how heavenly my house would smell if I have lavender in my backyard. I didn't know it was possible in a tropical country as we have too much rain.

Just to give you a background, I live in the Philippines, with summer temperatures that reach 50C and about 40 inches of rain in the monsoon season. I used to think that the extreme heat and torrential rain would not let lavender survive until I read this thread. It insipired me to start planting again.

Today, I sowed 50 seeds each of True English Lavender, Munstead and French Lavender. I have also ordered Spanish Eye seeds and I will start sowing them as soon as I get them.

I used a freezer stratification technique that I learned from another thread before sowing. I put the seeds in a little ziploc bag in the freezer for 24 hours and then thawed them. I sowed them in 2.5 x 2.5 seed trays with some gravel at the bottom and soil less seed starting mix on top. I will transplant them into 5 gallon clay pots when they're mature enough.

I'll put an update on this thread as soon as I see some sprouts *fingers crossed*

Wish me luck!

This message was edited Oct 5, 2013 10:19 AM
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

November 4, 2013
6:36 PM

Post #9702078

@jahnnabanana, we wish you success...just one thing from my experiences.. take much time and never give up..
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

November 4, 2013
6:37 PM

Post #9702080

Update picture for you, folks...

Thank you.
jahnnabanana
Laguna
Philippines

December 15, 2013
5:32 AM

Post #9728368

Hi again. I just thought I'd give you an update on my lavender planting venture.

My first try with the lavender was not so successful. I got zero germination. I put them under a roof for the first 4 weeks because there were several tropical storms and typhoons in the Philippines. I was so afraid that they would drown in the extra humidity, even though they're under a roof. I think I might have under-watered them. I only watered them twice a week and that was the reason they did not germinate at all.

I tried again last month using the same batches of seeds and I made sure to water them every other day. I'm happy to say that I'm more successful this time. The seedlings are now about 3 inches tall and they all look healthy, with about 4 real leaves on each. I will post pictures soon. I'm just waiting until I get a few more leaves on each seedling, just to make sure they're going to survive.
iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

January 5, 2014
6:23 AM

Post #9740530

Happy new year 2014 to everyone who love gardening...wishing you all have happiness both physical and mental. Your wish may come true along with strength and wealth...

STAR said, from the picture..

Thumbnail by iamstar

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2014
6:16 AM

Post #9762822

Happy New Year !

So happy to see you here with us !

Thumbnail by BajaBlue

iamstar
Suan Phung, Ratchabu
Thailand
(Zone 11)

March 10, 2014
9:14 AM

Post #9786454

Dear all friends in DGs

Update picture from the farm, this summer they gave us more blooming...Enjoy

[HYPERLINK@www.facebook.com]

IamStar
brightstarlavan
kuala lumpur
Malaysia

April 10, 2014
1:09 AM

Post #9808901

dear iamstar...

im so impress with ur effort to plant lavender in thailand..!

however, your lavender farm is in northern thailand right?
it mean that the weather temperate is quite cold right..?

coz im planning to plant lavender in malaysia...
but as usual, malaysia is quite hot and humid all the years...

more to bangkok's weather...

is there any advice or is lavender may grow in the weather?

anyway, no place to grow plantation in kuala lumpur...

it must be in high-hill temperates such as Fraser Hills, Bukit Tinggi, and Cameron Highland.

*sorry for the bad english*

thank you...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America