Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hbt1290
New Port Richey, FL

September 17, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #7073890

I'm at the warm end of 9b and new to amaryllis growing. I've ordered some bulbs and look forward to planting them. My question has to do with timing. In addition to the new bulbs, there are literally dozens of generic "pink" amaryllis bulbs growing scattered around the property, which I bought last year. The problem is you can't see most of them. They were planted under azalea bushes, behind the plumeria, in a huge pot behind the pool filter, in the middle of Indian hawthorne shrubs, etc. I got a number of blooms, but nothing like the number of amaryllis leaves now waving tall and looking silly growing through everything else, particularly the hawthorne. I want to dig up the bulbs and get them where they can be seen and have a chance to bloom next year. Can you give me some guidance on when I should be doing this? Do I dig now and plant later in the year? Plant now? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Helen
POPY37
Palm Bay, FL

September 22, 2009
3:27 AM

Post #7090338

Hi, I live in Palm Bay which is on the east coast about 45 mi south of kennedy space ctr. I also have amaryllis but I grow all mine in pots. With our weather they grow nearly all year and contrary to some, amaryllis have no cooling off period. Hipeastrums like to have crowded feet when grown in a pot. not sure about planting in the ground but I do see them growing around here in the ground. I understand different colors bloom at different times. I'm always planting and re-planting mine,but you have to be patient, they don't always bloom when you expect them to,but the wait is worth it. Most bloom around Christmas time I think. DG has many links to go to for dividing bulbs etc,a wealth of info. here
bsharf
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 24, 2009
8:13 AM

Post #7098668

In Florida, if they are in the ground, they bloom from late March through May, sometimes reblooming later. Most will die back a little, or a lot, in the middle of the winter: that's Florida's version of dormancy. I move them anytime, trying not to disturb the roots, and leaving the leaves if they aren't damaged too badly by the move. They may or may not bloom the next spring. Each year's buds were actually formed the year or two before, so if the bulbs had not been grown in ideal conditions before the move, you may have to wait awhile to see flowers. Just be patient. Its easier to plant them in a dedicated bed, with good drainage, I use a slightly elevated bed. That way the bulb aren't staying wet for long periods after heavy rains, like we have been having this summer. Amaryllis love our loose soil, regular watering in the summer, and at least a half day of sun. Use a slow release fertilizer in the summer, when the bulb is making the future buds. They prefer a drier winter and spring, when they are preparing to bloom. I have 2 Amaryllis beds. The only major problem I have is slugs, in one bed, who have a taste for the blooms. That bed is too wet in the spring. The drier bed doesn't have a slug problem. We are lucky here, we can enjoy the newly purchased bulbs the first winter in the house, then plant them outside to enjoy again and again. Hope this helps.
hbt1290
New Port Richey, FL

September 24, 2009
12:52 PM

Post #7098980

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I appreciate it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Amaryllis and Hippeastrums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hippeastrum johnsonii Lenjo 9 Oct 31, 2008 9:15 PM
Amaryllis question JoleneS 15 Nov 30, 2007 7:35 AM
Hippeastrum papilio x evansiae seedlings rrog2001 16 Feb 23, 2012 7:47 PM
Mexican AMARYLLIS Sprekelia Riverland 17 May 20, 2007 7:21 PM
Red Staining in Hippeastrums an anti-fungal? raydio 21 Dec 20, 2007 3:09 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America