Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Woody Perennials Bring the Fall Border to Life: Thanks!

Communities > Forums > Article: Woody Perennials Bring the Fall Border to Life
bookmark
Forum: Article: Woody Perennials Bring the Fall Border to LifeReplies: 7, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #7074565

Marie, I enjoyed your article. I've added several of the plants you mentioned to my "gotta have it" list.
can2grow
Valparaiso, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2009
2:06 PM

Post #7077245

You're welcome, and thanks for the feedback. Best of luck in finding the plants on your list.
Marie
www.mariesgarden.com
ulyssesflyby
Nhulunbuy
Australia

September 21, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #7086999

Can you please tell me the name of the red hibiscus pictured in your article. I bought this one recently and was told it is "Chinese Lantern" but a google search of images shows a different flower to this one.

Thank you!
Sue_in_Corsica
Ajaccio, Corsica
France
(Zone 10b)

September 21, 2009
1:19 PM

Post #7087095

I think ulyssesflyby is requesting the name of the plant in the first picture, and I, too, would like to know what it is. Interesting article, thank you.
can2grow
Valparaiso, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2009
3:26 PM

Post #7087495

The plant in the first picture is Malvaviscus arboreus, Turk's Cap. It's one of my favorites.
Marie
GardenDetectives
Saint Peters, MO

September 21, 2009
8:30 PM

Post #7088615

At last I have a name for the passalong I received last year. Thanks for the 'firbush' photo. I live in Missouri and brought this plant in where it lost all it's leaves and went into dormacy. I put cup of water on it each month but it really appeared to be nothing more than a big dead stick. When the temps were consistantly 60 degrees at night I burried the pot in the ground. OMG what a delight. I just found out what a great cut flower it is as well. I combined with zinnias and it's still going strong 4 days later.

http://gardendetectives.farming.officelive.com/default.aspx

Thumbnail by GardenDetectives
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ulyssesflyby
Nhulunbuy
Australia

September 28, 2009
6:13 PM

Post #7113179

Oh, so it's (Turk's Cap) not a hibiscus at all then? I've planted it out into the ground and pruned it. It's now covered in buds/foliage again. Haven't seen any seed pods - but we don't have any bees here (remote Arnhem Land in Oz) Seems to really love the tropics so will have to make sure it doesn't "escape".
can2grow
Valparaiso, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2009
12:45 PM

Post #7130066

How nice it is to have responses as far away as Australia, California, and Missouri! Those of us who are gardeners have many things in common, don't we? Best of luck, all of you with your Turk's cap and other plants and gardening activities.

Marie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Woody Perennials Bring the Fall Border to Life Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Turk's Cap Matties_Mom 2 Nov 11, 2009 12:12 AM
Turk's Cap hikerpat 1 Oct 24, 2011 7:57 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America