Preventing Damp off

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

How do you prevent new seeds fro getting Dampoff and dying?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Water with chamomile tea twice a week. Also, bottom watering helps too

Thanks, joannabanana

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Also watch the amount you're watering--damping off is more likely if you're watering too much so if you keep things a little bit drier you'll be less likely to have problems. And if you sterilize your seed starting mix before you start that can help too.

That sounds good. I can do that. Thanks ecrane3.

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Bottom watering seems to help me. And if they do begin to dampen off. I have notice if I sprinkle vermiculite on top of the existing soil/medium. It stops it immediately and the little plants recover and perk up. It also has stopped mold for me too.

That sounds good. Would perlite work?

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Not sure about the perlite...I only use perlite to loosen soil for new growth.

wonder what the vermiculite does? Will have to get some Thanks.

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I don't know it's weird. I have had some seedlings look like they were damaged right at the base. Almost like if the stem was rotting? (dampening off) Then I sprinkled all around it and it stopped and they recovered. I believe I was probably over watering them and not letting them dry out.

I used to bake my potting soil, so many years I can't remember.Then use it to start seeds.
I love planting them, but it just takes so long for them to grow and then we never know
if they are going to make it or not. Got seed coming up since it has been raining and you
know they are going to get frozen when winter sets in. But that is the way it is.
I guess. Must be something in the vermiculite to encourage them to grow.

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Well vermiculite I believe is a drying agent and it doesn't mold. I have some hard to germinate seeds in the same starting medium (vermiculite) for 2 1/2 months now. Have never opened the bag to water it. It's still moist and there is no mold. I seal the ziplock bag and keep it closed until whatever germinates.

Then, you just sit it's little roots in the soil? I read about the coffee filter test to germinate, only you use vermiculite.
I guess I'll have to check it out first of the month. Thanks for all the help. Maybe I can help you sometime.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I haven't tried vermiculite. I use a little dried crumbled Spagnum moss - that is the moss itself, not the peat. If you are having serious problems, you may need to increase air circulation to dry the surface a bit.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Adding Hydrogen peroxide to you water also helps too.
http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/gardening-with-hydrogen-peroxide.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.