Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Peonies: Peony seed

Communities > Forums > Peonies
bookmark
Forum: PeoniesReplies: 17, Views: 321
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 17, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #7074790

I left most of the seedheads on this year and today came across these two that were open. Interesting the difference. The red one is from P. Mlokosewitschii and the brown one is from my old pink NOID. I wonder if the bloom colour makes the difference in the seed color? None of my others have matured enough to see if there is any difference and I trimmed a lot off today .

This message was edited Sep 17, 2009 12:35 PM

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Click the image for an enlarged view.

magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #7075195

I left a couple of my tree peonies out to make seed too. The one I started last year and its neighboring double. The seeds on mine are brown, but if you break open the pod, they may not have fully turned brown yet, based on my own tests. They seem to turn within a few days out in room temperature. I am guessing that the ones that look flatter, are not good seed, although they are brown. The ones I started last year were very round shaped, not flat.

These are just guesstimates, not facts. I'm looking forward to trying a few more this winter. Nothing to lose!

Are you going to try growing those out fancy? It's a lot of fun.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 17, 2009
10:43 PM

Post #7075397

No I have wont try to grow them out! Cant be bothered, dont really have good place in house to deal with seedlings. In any case I have about 30 peonies at the moment and am not into duplicating and I understand it is a slow process- dont have the patience for it!
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2009
6:41 PM

Post #7106801

I would just let the seeds drop to the ground and see. Don't let them go to waste. I hear it takes a long time to go from seeds to flowering plant - 5 years?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 27, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #7110662

Too late - they went into the compost!
hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #7409790

I have a busho fo Paeonia mlokosewitschii.
The pink seeds are fake-seeds non virable. The seeds shall be dark blackblue in color and hard.
The pink fake-seeds are a little soft. I dont know whythis Paeonia makes this fakeseeds, last summer I dont get any real seed, only pink fake ones. A lot of them.
But I also have Paeonia vetchii, and this one make only real seeds.

Thumbnail by hobbyodlaren

hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #7409800

The seeds to Paeonia vetchii looks like this. And when mlokosewitschii are real seeds they looks the same, but they both turn to more black when they dry. They shall sows fresh to sprout well.

LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #7410210

I've seen the dark ones on my Carl Rosenfield peonies. Is that a pretty yellow peony that you have? or is it cream?
hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2010
7:19 PM

Post #7423604

Hi LiliMerci,
It is a pretty Yellow, shining light yellow, so very beautiful, sulphu-yellow. In Sweden it calls Svavelpion (sulphurpeony).

LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #7423644

I bought a yellow peony this year. Hope it will come up AND bloom. I know sometime they don't bloom their first year.
hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2010
8:19 AM

Post #7425816

They can take a year or more, before they start flower. My yellow start flower very early in the season, long time before my other ones.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 7, 2010
10:36 AM

Post #7437462

LiliMerci..can you post a picture of your Karl Rosenfeld peony or any of your peonies? Do you buy them as starter plants or order bare roots from the grower? I have seen several I'd like and plan to order from Adelman Peony gardens. I guess they don't send them until it is time to plant in our zone area? How soon should I order them though?
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 7, 2010
1:49 PM

Post #7437714

I'm afraid I have lost all my photos on a hard drive last May and I don't have any picture of it. Karl Rosenfield - it's a deep pink, like a hint of purple in it. I know many of the peonies are shipped in the fall. I ordered some this year from a co-op and they came bare root, pretty large though. They were shipped end of October for fall planting. I do not know if they shipped any in the spring. I have bought some from unknown from WalMart or local nurseries. Those are usually very small and will not bloom for about 2 years.
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

January 8, 2010
2:14 AM

Post #7440151

Most real peony suppliers only ship in the fall unless they are shipping potted plants. You will start finding the more common peonies at your normal plant stores shortly.

My advice for what it is worth is to buy the cheapy ones like Karl, Sarah,Mons Jules locally at the lowest price then with the money saved purchase something not so common from places like Adelmans.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 8, 2010
4:02 PM

Post #7441773

I have read (in scientifically-oriented papers) that black peony seeds are ones that have been fertilized while red ones have not; I often see both red and black seeds in the same pod.
I get quite a few peony seedlings (from species, or from single-flowered hybrids that have not been too messed up genetically - none from heavily double flowered ones, which tend to be sterile) just by allowing the plants to self-sow.
hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #7442018

Yes not been fertilized, the red seeds = fakeseeds :o)
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

January 8, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #7442304

Breeding tip for doubles. If you remove the main flower bud on doubles just as it forms the plant can put out side buds which can contain usable pollen. Rarely will make seeds with the side buds but it has been known to happen.

There are some breeders that feel that some of the red seeds can produce plants. I just like the combination for the color it adds to the garden.
roseycats
Dayton, OH

November 17, 2010
11:17 AM

Post #8217025

I cut off all my dead flower heads this year, before they could put out seeds. I hope I didn't hurt my peony, from now on I'm saving seeds.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peonies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fen Dan Bai Tree Peony RDT 10 Oct 4, 2012 12:02 AM
Dividing Peonies garyt 61 Nov 24, 2010 2:32 PM
Peonies and sun or lack of same butterflywi 18 Feb 15, 2011 5:21 AM
looking for peony can trade perennial plants jeaninpgh 5 Oct 7, 2012 3:04 PM
Dried out "cover" on peony buds DonnaMack 28 Jun 8, 2007 12:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America