Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums: Pelargonium ID, anyone?

Communities > Forums > Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums
bookmark
Forum: Geraniums, Pelargoniums and ErodiumsReplies: 16, Views: 102
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #7077602

Saw this cutie on a garden crawl last weekend, and no one there seemed to know its name. I LOVE the leaf!

Thumbnail by imapigeon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sharonf1
Lake in the Hills, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2009
6:07 AM

Post #7080236

No idea what the name is but can see why you fell in love. Very pretty leaves!

~Sharon
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 19, 2009
6:32 AM

Post #7080269

Oh, wow. I love it, too. Can't wait to find out what it is . . .

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

October 3, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #7128992

Couldn't tell you the name, but we ARE going back there one night to dig it up and bring it home? Love those leaves!
Martha
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #7129106

Oh, Martha, don't TEMPT me!!! I'm extremely wicked, and not above a midnight "cutting raid" in someone's hell strip, if they don't respond to a heartfelt request to trade...but I would never set foot in a yard proper without permission. And this geranium, sadly, is definitely in the yard. (Sniff...) Same person had a beautiful and fragrant blue iochroma that I would have LOVED to "accidentally" rip a piece from during the tour. But of course, if everyone who visited did that, the yard wouldn't be fit for a tour any more, so I managed to restrained myself.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2009
4:25 AM

Post #7129470

You know, it can't hurt to ask if they'd be willing to share . . . at the very least they should be flattered that you love their taste.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2009
5:09 AM

Post #7129575

If there hadn't been so many people there at the time, I actually would have asked what kind it was or where she got it. And I may go back one of these days and knock on her door...

Once when my friends and I were on one of these hoo-hahs, we all went nuts over the same geranium, so I happened to be near the elderly gentleman owner and asked him where he found it. He said he couldn't remember, but if I could be very casual about it and not let any of the other (probably 75) people who were in his garden at the time know, that he'd get me a cutting. It was hysterical. My friends didn't know what was going on, and they told me it looked like they envisioned a drug deal would go down! So he slipped me the cutting in a bag, and I thanked him profusely and slunk out of the garden. When we got back to the car, it turned out not to be the one we were drooling over---still lovely, but one I actually already had. I treasured it anyway because of the adventure we had getting it, and shared it with my friends.

Two of the same friends were with me one day earlier this year when I pulled the car over and marched up to somebody's front door and asked him if he'd like to trade some of my white alstroemerias for some of his screaming yellow ones. He said no, but he got a plastic bag and gave me three lovely clumps, which I shared with my friends. Mine just started blooming this week!

So I'm not at all shy about begging for plants. If someone came to MY door, I wouldn't hesitate to share something if I had enough to go around!
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2009
6:32 AM

Post #7129652

I guess not. But it sounds like the people you've talked to were excited (and flattered, no doubt) to see that you like their plants as much as theirs. You must have the knack for asking . . .

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

October 3, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #7130090

I trade plants all the time when people admire them and I have enough to spare. I even trade with the lovely woman who comes around for the Jehovah's Witnesses. She's been the same one for years and i traded her some pulmonaria for a cute cactus she brought me. My houseplants sit outside all summer and she has admired them many times. I am afraid we discuss gardening more than religion.
I have lots of pelargoniums including a 11 year old 'Vancouver Centennial'. I am potting up some plain old red ones that my son brought me from his landscaper boss. They had some leftovers from a job and he told my son to bring them to me. I was touched! so, into a pot they go and I will keep them forever! Many of mine are minis, also, and multiply potted together. I will be out doing cuttings if the rain here ever lets up this weekend.
Martha
PS I also quash the urge for GTP {Grand Theft Plants} It's tough, but I do.
congminglaoshi
Tuckahoe, NY

October 3, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #7130223

Might be Pelargonium "Distinction".
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #7130528

I think it might be! Thanks...I'll pursue that possibility!

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2009
3:34 AM

Post #7132421

Here's a bloom from my Distinction, you can see the leaves behind it. I have to look for my other shots of just the leaves.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2009
5:45 AM

Post #7132692

I croppped and enlarged the photo so the leaves would be more prominent. Does this make it easier to compare to your plant, Sue?
I think it could be, allowing for variations between individual plants. The one at the garden we visited wasn't blooming, so I don't know what color it is----I just liked the foliage!

Thumbnail by imapigeon

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2009
5:53 AM

Post #7132696

Yep, that does look like it! I liked it because the dark ring was more along the outer edge.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #7133629

Hmmmm..."was"...did it not survive for you?

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #7133791

LOL, no, it 'was' late and I 'was' exhausted from my big all day nursery shopping spree!

Just took this a few minutes ago.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #7134002

NICE!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Never grew these before.. Brugie 21 May 3, 2007 2:20 PM
Visions Light Pink echoes 5 May 4, 2009 8:38 PM
Overwintering - dumb question, I know AlohaHoya 28 Mar 19, 2007 4:00 PM
Hardy Geranium resource links, info, and pics? tabasco 46 Jul 26, 2007 7:26 PM
Plain ole standard geranium....how cold can i let them get?? sticks_n_stones 12 Mar 30, 2007 2:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America