Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Seed Germination: Starting lilac from seed?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 2, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenbugde
Smyrna, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #7080716

I collected seeds from my common lilac... I know I have to stratify them if I want them to sprout. I'm wondering if anyone has grown lilac from seed before? I like to experiment with different seeds and just want to see if it can be done. :-) Thanks for your input!

Kathy in Delaware
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 8, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #7252033

If you want to stratify them in the garden, you can plant them an eight inch deep now and they should come up next spring. Alternatively, you could mix the seed with just moist spagnum moss or spagnum peat in a ziplock baggy and store in the frig for the winter, and plant them out (or in a pot) in spring.
gardenbugde
Smyrna, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #7256942

Thanks so much!

-Kathy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America