Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Fuchsias: COMPANION PLANTING

Communities > Forums > Fuchsias
bookmark
Forum: FuchsiasReplies: 36, Views: 489
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 20, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #7082839

Hi All,
Please join in and share your Garden..Someone Else's Garden..Public Garden
Container Garden.

Subject is: Companion planting with Fuchsia...
Let's see the interesting combos you have or have seen using fuchsia's.
THE more you all share the more ideas we can ponder over this Winter for next
year's Garden.

I will start with this combo I personally would have never thought of it so it's from Someone Else's garden.
Fuchsia and Anemone sure makes a wonderful combo!

Thumbnail by GardenGuyKin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #7087888

Cool! Now I am inspired to try a few things. Almost my entire collection is in 15 gallon containers and it was just a couple of weeks ago that it dawned on me to plant something in there with them all LOL, what a dunce!
I have viola's that have naturalized all over the front and back yards. This year in particular, I am having a great time seeing all the color variations which are appearing after I added a six pack of new varieties to a raised bed in January. Those have now thrown seed and tiny new ones are coming up everywhere.
I am going to start putting them into all of the fuchsia pots! They are small enough to not steal too much of the nutrients away from the fuchsias. And they can cascade over the sides.
Now you have me wondering which pots would be good with which shade of lobelia. And which pots would benefit from a colorful mix of one of my all time favorites, Moss Ross or portulacas, next summer.
Thanks GardenKuyKin, my imagination is having a party!!!
PS Thanks for adding "Other Peoples Gardens" LOL this is going to be a fun thread.
hummer_girl
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2009
5:30 PM

Post #7092265

I don't have any hardy fuchsais, yet, but I feel compelled to share the photo of my Gartenmeister in its second bloom. I usually put a couple Nasturtium seeds in the pot to fill in around the base of the fuchsia and drape over the side. I think the seeds in this pot were on steriods.

Thumbnail by hummer_girl

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 22, 2009
6:22 PM

Post #7092411

Pedricks
What a wonderful idea using viola's! That is another plant I would have never thought of using. I will be looking forward to some pics in the future.

HummerGirl
That is one beautiful looking Gartenmeister! The nasturtium is a wonderful companion planting. Just imagine all the different colored nasturtium you could use with the fuchsias.

Keep sharing ideas and pics everyone.
Here is a combo from my containers that I really enjoyed.
Fuchsia Neon tricolor and Persian shield.

hummer_girl
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #7092535

I am in love with the Neon tricolor. I don't care if I have to babysit this fuchsia over the winter, I'm growing this plant next year, and the Persian shield makes a perfect companion plant.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2009
9:04 PM

Post #7092963

Yes! Both are both great combos! I have a brilliant yellow nasturtium that would look good in with my Marin Glow (blue). And a friend of mine has a big Persian Sheild I have been wanting some cuttings of. Maybe it is time to visit... as it would look great in my Chang or Orange Crush.
You got it Guy, I transplanted a bunch of the little viola seedlings into the containers. They are amazingly tough little things. They didn't just come up where it is well watered, they come up on the dry gravel hillside where I grow my perennial herbs.
If fuchsias enjoyed being as dry as sage does, my tri-colored sage would make a good color combo with Gypsy Prince(both have purple). It is a very low growing sage that is almost like a ground cover. The herbs love the deep well drained gravel and they hold that hillside in place. Just dreaming outloud here, I may have to roots some sage cuttings anyway just to see what would happen.

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 23, 2009
11:25 PM

Post #7097361

Hummergirl
I think you will like Neon Tricolor. The only thing I noted this summer is that it lost is vibrant color during our Hot stretch. It's buds didn't drop but the color was faded then recovered quickly when we cooled down. I don't know if you have viewed the photo in Plantfiles or not but here is a link.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/164276/

Pedricks
What an excellent choice! Tri-colored sage...Love that one and will surely give it a try next year. Love plants that don't need tooooo much watering! LOL I will be looking forward to seeing your violas and fuchsias too.

Here is a bigger view of the above picture. Fuchsias from left are 'Aurea' then 'Flash' and Neon Tricolor
Forgot just above 'Aurea' you can barely see 'Maxima' and Neon also in container.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2009 4:27 PM

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 12, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #7161513

I was transplanting the tiny little viola volunteers into a tray so they can get bigger, and looking around to see what else might be interesting for companions in my containers of fuchsias that I already have on hand. And I realized I have three colors of miniature iceplant. Which are succulents and actually do much, much better if they are not treated like cactus. I water mine every time I water the fuchsias, so why not combine them! I have a bright purple I could put with the orange fuchsias and a dark orange I could put with the blues. Is it spring yet? I've got ideas to catch!
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #7161858

GGK, loved the photos and companion plants. What a great idea! I especially liked the color of those persian sheilds. Figured I'd try some Petunia's since they actually grow in my desert. (if they are watered). Don't want iceplant, but viola's would be a treat too. Let ya know how that works out.
In the meantime please keep them coming!
WIB,
SW

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2009
12:26 PM

Post #7178772

Thanks
I really like the idea of violas with the fuchsias and I have some wild one that grow all over the place here. I will probably transplant some in my new fuchsia bed once I get back from my trip. Sorry I didn't get back to this tread sooner just really busy with last minute preparations in the garden before I leave!
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 2, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #7231600

I am going to have to take some photos of a few containers in which the violas have grown faster than the fuchsia starts I bought ;-D You'll be hard pressed to find the fuchsia in a photo!
I am tempted to pull them out, but since winter is coming, they will help provide a layer of protection for the fuchsias they are currently hiding!!
And this started me to wondering if having hardy companion plants instead of or in addition to mulch, might be a viable means of protecting fuchsias during the winter??
My friend who thought he had lost his Gartenmeister Bonstedt to the snow, has this fuchsia in a bed of leather ferns. It was coming back up from underneath their old fronds when I showed him it was not at all dead this last spring.
My personal favorite is the Autumn fern and the native Western Sword fern. Neither of these would work well for me since they wouldn't appreciate the full sun I grow my fuchsias in. But for semi-shade areas, they would look great.

This message was edited Nov 1, 2009 11:27 PM
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #7231886

SWORD FERNS WILL GROW IN SUN IF THEY ARE USED TO IT. PLANT THEM SMALL AND THEY WILL ADJUST.
I USE SEDUMS IN MY CONTAINERS OF ROSES AND PINEAPPLE LILY. THEY LOOK NICE ALL YEAR.

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #7250183

PC, sounds like the violas are taking over. Maybe they were not the best plant for use in a container. But then again I don't know what type of a root system they have or if they would really crowd out the fuchsias root system. When you do pull one let us see what type of root system they have and whether or not it was a good idea.

FERNS will look excellent with the Fuchsias. I now have an area underneath a tree that was trimmed last week. It was too shady for the fuchsias but now I think they will do great there. There are already quite a few well established ferns and I have 6 fuchsias in mind for the area!! Gosh now I'm getting anxious about Spring and transplanting! LOL

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #7250204

I've been going through photo files from this year and found this one which is of 'Cardinal' at a local garden.

I remember that the dark colored Ornamental Sweet Potato vine really made Cardinal POP out in the garden bed. This combo will definitely be in my garden next year.

There are so many to choose from too!
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/b/Convolvulaceae/Ipomoea/batatas/cultivar/0/

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #7250212

A view from a bit farther back

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 7, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #7250770

Don't worry, the viola's are only growing faster than a few very small new fuchsias. They were just tiny starts right before our late summer heat wave and fuchsias just don't grow as fast as viola's. I think there is plenty of room in the containers for both and have pushed them aside so the fuchsias have some room. If I see them getting stressed, I can always cut the viola's down a bit. I'd rather not pull them out and disturb the soil deep down this late in the year.
Purple sweet potatoe vine is a freat idea!
and hostajim has got me thinking about hostas now too!
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2009
10:09 PM

Post #7257206

I decided to trim back the violas that were taking over the little fushsia starts. Now both get to live and it looks much better also. Another reason why I don't want to pull any up is that I bought a variety pack last winter for the front yard and I am looking forward to see what comes up in both the front yard and back yard. The new ones in the front yard are already proving that they come from backyard pollen mixed with the front yard. Such a wonderful variety of cute little faces!
They just can't be allowed into the Isotome or Blue Star Creeper. One side of the front yard is covered with it between the stepping stones. That is where most of my oldest fuchsia specimens are. I have also been considering planting some of my Yellow Archangel (Lamium galeobdolon subsp montanum) into a few of the fuchsia containers for a nice green contrast. We used to call this the Cobra vine for the silver pattern on the furry leaves and we grew them as hanging houseplants. But it also makes a great groundcover.

Thumbnail by PedricksCorner

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #7258178

PC
From past experience
Don't place any of the Lamium into the container grown fuchsias! I had some in a container and the root system choked out the other plants. Upon removing the plants, the lamium had a massive root system filling the container. So it's not a good plant for your fuchsias.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 11, 2009
1:44 AM

Post #7261697

GGK, you are right, it grows very fast. I have several one gallons and to cut them back, I literally cut them to the rim. In a couple of weeks, you'd never know it. But as ground cover around the base of my containers, it works great. My soil is hard pan clay. It can't grow it's roots very deep and is easy to pull up if it gets out of bounds. In the spring, it has these cute little yellow flowers that remind me of snapdragons. And you are also right, I had better think twice about putting it into a container along with a fuchsia. It would have to be a well established fuchsia with a good sized trunk on it already.

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 11, 2009
8:31 AM

Post #7262567

I love the flowers on it too! But I have been trying to get rid of it from a garden bed for yrs. now!! Maybe next year I will get it all, it takes over here and then there and then there! LOL

I do agree that it would look nice but it's invasive habits for me is a turn off.
:(
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 11, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #7263978

What do you think about some of the miniature ice-plants? I have purple, yellow, and orange. I need to track down their latin names. They do SO much better when they are not treated like cactus LOL! They get watered every time the fuchsias get watered. Same with fertilizer. And since they grow slow, I am imagining this bright yellow in with my blue 'Ted Sweetman.'

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 20, 2009
5:05 AM

Post #7291923

GGK, thought this was a good place to say Wow! What a very cool illustration of the anatomy of a fuchsia you made for the sticky! Very, very nice job!

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2009
10:00 AM

Post #7292126

Thanks a bunch, PC.
I thought it will be useful for further talks with everyone when we are talking about the blooms of Fuchsias.

Wow! That is a beautiful ice plant. I have never seen a yellow one in person. There goes another wish list plant for next year!! LOL I think that would be an excellent combination Hmmmmm I wonder which Fuchsia would look best with that ice plant? My poor mind is at work thinking really hard...

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2009
10:09 AM

Post #7292128

The catalpa tree in my back yard was trimmed and it looks so sad and terrible right now! It was growing dangerously over the house and neighbors house. The shade will be missed but not all of the mess it provides in June...

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2009
10:15 AM

Post #7292130

Good News is...
I will have a lot more sun back there so I plann to move some of my Phygelius
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/250402/
back there and Fuchsias for companion plantings.

It might just be my new Hummingbird garden!
:)
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 21, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #7294487

Cool! I have never seen Phygelius before! I am going to have to check them out and see what kind of color range they come in. Looks like the same guy cut your tree as cut one of mine. Mine looks so lopsided now. I am not certain what it is, other than a type of Maple. You are going to be very busy this winter making plans for all of your new sunshine ;-)

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2009
11:29 AM

Post #7299003

Phygelius
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/b/Scrophulariaceae/Phygelius/none/cultivar/0/
Quite a few to choose from. I love the color of this one and the winter foliage is outstanding!
Passionate
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/250305/

They get quite big and need some room. I really enjoy them and so do the Hummers! This is my first year having Passionate and not sure how big or tall it will get in my garden. I've seen some Phygelius get 5-6 feet tall and bloom all summer long.

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2009
11:36 AM

Post #7299010

Winchester Fanfare
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/114372/
Is the one I have had for some years in my garden. I trim it aggressively Mid Spring
for a more bush type look. It seems to be the most common here in my area along with
Moonraker
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/214831/
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 22, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #7300320

I like the Moonraker! But since they get so big, I am going to have to wait until I have moved to a larger place. A big project currently in the works... Hopefully before my collection gets too much bigger!!!
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 17, 2009
2:59 AM

Post #7375813

Here is a photo of my self sowing viola's doing two jobs at once. Being companion plants to some of the baby fuchsia's I added to my collection this year. And protecting the base of those same fuchsias from freezing. This whole section was under protective cloth during our freeze recently. All the fuchsia foliage in contact with the cover, got singed. I may not always be able to get the cover on when they are going to need it. So the viola's will take the hit instead. Don't worry though, there are thousands of them coming up everywhere right now! They didn't seem to mind the freeze at all!

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2010
12:30 AM

Post #7580279

I hope we'll be seeing some new ideas here soon GGKin!
And I hope this little guy out front, who sprung up from very different parents, contributes to the gene pool of violas taking over the fuchsia collection in the back!

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2010
9:32 PM

Post #7704138

Here's a sweet viola I must have gotten from PC. Thanks, it made me really smile. It volunteered to grow in my Chiquita Maria! : - )
WIB!
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2010
9:34 PM

Post #7704141

Here's a close up of the viola at the base of the fuchsia.
I just couldn't resist, they so suit each other.
WIB!
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2010
10:24 AM

Post #7705191

I love those little guys! I even had some sold dark, dark purple and blue ones come up. The color combinations coming up are so much fun! When the sun comes out again, I'll take a photo of one bunch that is almost a foot and a half high now. I had no idea that could get that big. And I am really looking forward to being able to photograph my Scarlet Pimpernels in bloom which are growing in some of the other fuchsia containers. The fuchsias are so big and full this year, most of them aren't going to have any space around their bases to allow anything else to grow!! Unless it is someting that can cascade over the sides of their containers to get some sunlight ;-)

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2010
7:33 AM

Post #7816430

PC & SW
Your violas and fuchsias are catching the attention of me for some container combos!! They sure do compliment each other!! I apologize that I have not kept up with this thread..:(
They make wonderful combos.

Many of us grow fuchsias solely for their blooms. Some of us grow them to attract bees, butterflies and hummingbirds. Doe's anyone ever look at some of the cultivars that have striking colored foliage?

So far I have several container plantings that I'm using fuchsias better known for their foliage than their blooms. I will get some pics when they begin to fill in but they seem to make a great combo so far.

This is Golden Marinka

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2010
7:35 AM

Post #7816435

Here is one of the containers that has Japanese barberry f. Maxima and Golden Marinka

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2010
7:38 AM

Post #7816444

f. Autumnale is another one I'm using in a container. I don't have a pic of the combo yet but here is a pic of it's foliage. I read somewhere that it's not a good bloomer but who cares with
the stunning foliage it has!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Fuchsias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Amazing fuchsias Zanymuse 84 Sep 3, 2009 2:19 AM
Who would like to see a Fuchsia Forum!? PedricksCorner 134 Dec 2, 2009 6:06 PM
Let's get a Fuchsia forum going! PedricksCorner 83 Sep 3, 2009 2:21 AM
help with my fuchsia jjpate 2 Jun 8, 2009 5:38 AM
Fuschia - do I trim this? blackThumbz 15 Sep 4, 2009 4:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America