Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Are on the Move!: Bees

Communities > Forums > Article: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Are on the Move!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Are on the Move!Replies: 2, Views: 10
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wizz47
Cayuga, IN

September 20, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #7083907

This summer has been filled with many hummers, and 1 or 2 honey bees...ok, well last month I think all of the bees in Indiana found my feeders, they hummers were beeeeing chased away by those darn bees!!! Yes we need the bees, but it was sad and madening the hummers couldnt feed. tried spreading out the feeders, then I cleaned them and put them up. the bees seemed to mostly dissappear, ( I do have many many floweres to attract birds and bees), and I started seeing new ones on their journey south, once again I put the feeders out and she only got a short sip and the bees ran her off. Does anyone have any ideas to keep the bees from the feeders...(dumb question I know) and If anyone sees a juvinial hummer with only 1 tail feather, he has lived the past summer in my flower gardens and feeders, but hes gone now, If anyone sees him I'd love to track his journey south and I hope to see him return again next year. If birds travel as a "crow flies" he should fly straight south to evansville, in nashville,Tn, and 65 south to the gulf. ???? wonder if this really works that way, I would love to share my story on how I saved his life (his toung was stuck) Thanks Rose

Thumbnail by wizz47
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #7083976

Here are some tips discussed on the bird watching forum.
consider feeders with bee guards
paint the flowers/ports on your feeders with red nail polish as bees can't "see" red
feed the bees something elsewhere. Perhaps make some butterfly brew (beer, bananas and sugar) and place in an area away from the feeders.
wizz47
Cayuga, IN

September 20, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #7084568

wow! thank you for the info, iI will check out the bird watching forum :0) Rose

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Are on the Move! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
hummingbirds Jiny 17 Sep 14, 2009 3:20 PM
Good article! tommyr2006 3 Sep 13, 2009 9:40 PM
Mystery solved! Rowan_linnea 1 Sep 13, 2009 5:38 PM
Rubythroated Hummingbirds txaggiegal 1 Sep 13, 2009 9:40 PM
Great article! pelletory 5 Sep 14, 2009 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America