VIII Annual Aroid Show and Sale at Fairchild

Winter Haven, FL(Zone 9b)

I went to the 8th annual aroid show and sale at Fairchild Gardens yesterday and I was in heaven! First of all, I haven't been to fairchild gardens since I was a baby so basically it was like visiting for the first time. Second, I should have taken more cash!!!! ha ha ha. I loaded up on all sorts of beautiful aroids. It was simply amazing.

Thumbnail by DanKistner

A view of the Member's Tables... That's me checking out every last plant!

Thumbnail by DanKistner
Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

oh wow I wish....I now have 3 one from a trade and 2 I had to get mail order because no one in our area sells them

Love your pictures Dan!! Was there a big crowd? Speakers? Tell us all about it! Did you meet more DGers?

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Over the past two months I have bought 8 varieties locally here in Peoria dirt cheap as the nurseries were wanting to get rid of them. I paid $1.00 for a small Hilo Beauty with 6 babies, $2.50 for Black Stem with tons of babies. $5.00 for Illustrus with tons of babies. $7.50 each for Black Magic with 6 babies & Odora with over 12 babies. Stingray was about $7.00 with about 6 babies. Trinawitch, Hoerrs Nursery has a few varieties left including Stingray, Odora and one or two others. Sheridan Nursery on Sheridan Rd. has some Blackstem left. You can get African Mask and Black Magic at Lowes in East Peoria.

Nice Bargains!

I have black magic in fact Seray I will be sending yours out tomorrow...sorry I was sick and didn't get to it faster...I received yours yesterday

I will have to make a trip over to peoria then....but trying to sneak another plant in right now....hhhmmm

Glad you got it Trina. I knew you were sick no hurry. :) Hope it traveled ok.

perfectly...until it got here and one of my kids moved it too close to the coffee pot...one leaf got a little toasted but it will survive

I'm cheating and reusing your box....the one I'm sending you is just a little larger...some of the leaves are green because it wasn't getting quite enough sun where I had it sitting

I'll be watching for it. :)

I know everyone probably thinks I'm silly for growing them in the house but I just love the different color foliage

What kind of Amorphs did you see there Dan? Anything unusual?

night everybody...thanks for the info about the nurseries over in peoria Franknjim. I will definately have to go check that out

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

I will be growing all of mine and their babies in the house over winter. It will take a lot of room! Illustrus had about 100 bulbs in the pot along with all of the babies. Blackstem had a ton of bulbs in it too.

Trinawitch, If you already have100 plants in the house, who will notice 101? 102? or 103? You can always say it was an internet trade!

Nite Trina. Hope you feel better!

Seray... My family and I traveled down that way early yesterday morning. I didn't see many people to tell you the truth. I didn't hear any speakers either. They may have shared some words while I was out enjoying the gardens. I did meet Brian Williams who brought some of his colocasias to the show but other than that, I am not sure if there were any DG'ers there. There was a booth set up with lots of different Amorphs. but i had never heard of any of them. I was mainly looking for the Titanum but I didn't find any for sale. I guess the majority of plants on sale seemed to be Philos. and Anthuriums. I made sure to load up though! ha ha ha.

Sounds like you had a good time. Show us some of your finds.

I would enjoy viewing more picture's as well DanKistner or anyone else that was there from this show.

Rachel

I will have to take some pictures when I get home from work today. After driving 5 hours home i didn't feel like doing much yesterday!

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

I was there Saturday morning till noon and Sunday afternoon till it was over, plus I attended the banquet Saturday evening. Brian Williams came by my place on Friday afternoon, after I dropped off some of my plants at the show for awards competition. But I won't be able to post pics until Tuesday at the earliest - patience pays!

Yeah I didn't get there till about noon on saturday so I must have just missed you. Too bad maybe some day. That 5 hour drive made it a bit hard to get there any sooner. It was nice to see the gardens although while my father and I enjoyed the plants... My mother and my wife were more interested in the gift shop ha ha ha.

I picked up a few things. I got a large specimen of the Alocasia Lauterbachiana, I bought an Anthurium 'Red Queen' for my wife, I picked up a Colocasia Gigantea from Brian Williams. I also grabbed a Philodendron Goeldii. I got an Alocasia Amazonica 'Polly' for my mom she thought that was cool and I picked up some "new" Philodendron Xanadu called "buss" or "boos" or something like that I forgot. I would have picked up more if we didn't have 4 people and luggage to compete with the space in our vehicle. I will take pictures tonight if I remember, I have the memory of a gold fish.

This message was edited Sep 21, 2009 3:01 PM

(Zone 6a)

I saw some photos an Aroid Society member took, LariAnn, it looked like you cleaned up in the awards division!
(The photo I saw showed LariAnn trying hanging on to these 2 giant crystal awards with a huge grin on her face)
Sure hope you didn't drop them!

The plants all look so healthy and wonderful!

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

Yep, but I didn't want to toot my own horn! Best In Show and Most Unusual, plus a couple of first places and some second places. The awards are safe at home now, not broken!

Hard work pays off!

Congratulations LariAnn!!! We'll watch for your post! Patiently. LOL

Dallas, TX

LariAnn, I'am sad i had to miss out on the show. Very glad you won the show! Lets have some pictures of your winning aroids. Jerry

Congratulation's LariAnn!

(Zone 6a)

Congratulations~ whoo hoo~
I'd like to see photos of all the awarded plants as well.

I wish I could have gone...but I'd leave broke and drooling all over the place

Congrats LariAnn

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

OK, here's a peek - my plant that won Most Unusual Aroid - Alocasia 'Pixie Teardrops', from a cross of A. odora and A. brisbanensis.

Thumbnail by LariAnn
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

And here is my plant that took Best In Show - Philodendron 'Maharlika', an F2 selection from an original cross of P. bipinnatifidum (selloum) and P. stenolobum.

Thumbnail by LariAnn

oh wow those are awesome!...aaahhh someday I will have a neat collection, a little at a time, i will get there

Very interesting LariAnn!!! I like the 'Maharlika'. How big will it get in the ground?

(Zone 6a)

Wow, both very unusual plants. Thanks for sharing!

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

I have yet to see how large this plant will become, although I feel that it is near to blooming maturity now. The F1 parent is a very large plant, much larger than this one, but in the F2 seedlings, the characteristics of both original parents come out more. The P. stenolobum is a smaller growing plant, so Maharlika is likely to be an intermediate size between the largest and smallest.

I'm drooling over them! Beautiful! and slightly envious

Yes very nice! I remember seeing your A. "Pixie Teardrops" it caught my eye pretty quick.

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

I had other plants in the show and have others I didn't enter in the show because I felt that at some point I would end up competing against myself. This way I'll have some plants I can spring on them for next year's competition! Oh, for the record, the F1 parent of the Maharlika also took a major award when I showed it many years ago.

Here's a link; scroll to the picture at the bottom of the page to see the F1 parent, Philodendron x willoum:

http://www.aroidiaresearch.org/willoum.htm

This message was edited Sep 22, 2009 9:45 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images