Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Xeriscape Gardening: Xeriscape fertilizer

Communities > Forums > Xeriscape Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Xeriscape GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 105
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lizzipa
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2009
3:54 AM

Post #7086364

I planted a xeriscape garden last year & put "yum yum" mix (from High Country Gardens) in the bottom of each hole. I plan to fertilize again this fall. I'm hoping to get some guidelines, here, for fertilizers - ie. what #'s or ingredients should I look for. Should I add worm castings, alfalfa, etc.? Any suggestions are welcome. I'm planning to fertilize each fall & add compost each spring, going forward - does that make sense?

Thanks in advance,

Liz
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #7148804

Yum-yum mix is good. I've had my best success with mineral additions to my soil to boost the elements where it was low and adding minimal amounts of organic matter at the surface. (This is basically what yum-yum mix is). I'd recommend you get a soil test done so that you know what minerals you do and don't have. Look at the yum-yum and consider other products to make sure you are adding enough of what you are short in. I would also recommend a mycorrhizal fungi addition as the fungi will help feed the plants. For Fall/Spring additions, all I do is add them at the soil surface, scratching the top 1/4 inch or so of the soil. I use more minerals in the Fall and more organic matter (compost) in the Spring.
lizzipa
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 9, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #7152375

Thanks for your response! I DO need to get a soil test. I bought mycorrhizai from the DG coop, last spring, so will be sure to add that to plants that I planted last fall.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 21, 2009
4:06 AM

Post #7192402

Your Xeriscape plants won't all prefer the exact same kind of soil and amendments. I'm not familiar with your climate zone, but as a generalization: if it is a very LOW water plant, it probably needs needs the crown protected from excess moisture. So avoid organic mulch, peat, compost, alfalfa pellets, etc, around the crown where they would tend to hold water.
lizzipa
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 21, 2009
6:35 PM

Post #7194131

Thanks pollengarden. My goal in planting a xeriscape garden is reducing water needs. We have been experiencing drought conditions for a few years now & I don't anticipate that changing long-term. Thanks for the reminder to keep amendments away from the crown of the plants.

Liz

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Xeriscape Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Favorite TOUGH Xeriscape plants michele5000 80 Apr 27, 2009 1:37 AM
How do you all start your seeds (Blanket flower, etc.) Gourd 12 Feb 26, 2008 12:54 AM
Perennials for Xeriscaping, Zone 7 (and zones 2-11) cherishlife 107 Jul 24, 2008 9:51 PM
Where do you get them at? MitchF 25 Aug 4, 2008 5:09 PM
Agastache seeds MQN 13 Dec 16, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America