-
AuthorContent
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #7087617

All are welcome to join us on our daily chitchats!

Happy last day of Summer!! We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037810/

No chill in the air in my neck of the woods so I'll live vicariously thru my peeps!
Ric Good luck on the job hunt! You and Robyn got a lot accomplished this Summer!
Rusty I am ready for Summer to be over too! Im tired of this stifling heat. Pretty coleus!
Mau Thanks!
Celia A sigh of happiness for the cooler temps!

86.7 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 55%
Dew Point: 69 F
Wind: 3.8 mph
Wind Gust: 5.6 mph
Pressure: 30.12 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 91 F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 6000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Now -
Through 1245 PM...isolated showers and a possible thunderstorms continue to develop across northeast Florida. The showers are moving west at 5 to 10 mph. The heaviest activity will move into areas near Bryceville...Calahan... Kingsley and Middleburg. Expect...brief gusty winds...heavy downpours and dangerous lightning with thunderstorm activity.

Today
Partly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. High 85. East winds 10 to 15 mph.

I see nothing except blue skies...High 85*? We've already got that beat! My new fav pic of E. Hookeri.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #7087626

I like high temps! Waaaaa! LOL
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 21, 2009
4:10 PM

Post #7087647

LOL!! I don't have anything to say today either :0 Except: Celia come down here and enjoy our high temps and humidity:

Currently: 85.6 F and Clear
Humidity: 76%
Dew Point: 77 F
Wind: 1.6 mph from the NE
Wind Gust: 2.5 mph
Pressure: 29.92 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 97 F
UV: 6 out of 16
Clouds:
Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Finally!!

I'm running to lunch and I'll see ya'll later. Got to get my stuff prepared for my conference next week today and tomorrow! Woo Hoo!!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #7088108

i see clouds!

Now
Through 245 PM...isolated showers and thunderstorms continue to develop across northeast Florida. The showers are moving west at 5 to 10 mph. The heaviest activity will move into areas near Kingsley...Middleburg...Lake Butler...Lulu and Lake City. Expect...brief gusty winds...heavy downpours and dangerous lightning with thunderstorm activity.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 22, 2009
12:03 AM

Post #7089444

The temp reached 89 F in Little Rock today according to the TV weather folk. According to the thermometer on my back porch it was 88F about noon so I am sure we got to at least 89, too. Rain back in the forecast for late tonight, tomorrow and Wed. It was hot and sunny!

Not complaining though--I managed to get in about 4 hours of work in my flowerbeds this morning but I had to skirt around the fire ants--they are everywhere! Yikes! My son put out a bag of poison today. I had finished up a bag last week. It seems like they just move from spot to spot and that they thrive on that poison! GRRRR!.

We were without electricity for 5 hours last evening for some strange reason. Our subdivision seemed to be the only place in town without electricity. Sure made me appreciate lights and air conditioining, LOL. I was forced to go to bed early since there was no TV to be watched and I was tired of reading by candlelight! Ah, modern conveniences--gotta love 'em!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 22, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #7089977

Mau a trick we learn during the Hurricane.
Solar Spotlights make GREAT indoor room and reading lights.

Still 72 here after a high near 80 won't get much cooler till Weds.
Looks like we 'might' have some 40's coming next week.
We've been looking at starting on the GH.
Since I don't have a workplace to winter them we need to get busy.
This year will just be another hoop house on the Sewing Room roof.
Next year hopefully the real deal.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #7090075

Chilly and wet all day. We finally got some rain!! In fact we got enough rain that the mud fell off my truck at work. LOL. I had mud puddles where I parked. Temps never got out of the 60s.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2009
10:11 AM

Post #7090950

Good morning!

40F, light breeze and mostly cloudy this morning. Looks like it could stay dry for one day!

Hi to everyone - I enjoyed all your posts!

Hope you all have a wonderful day :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

September 22, 2009
11:06 AM

Post #7090996

I got good rains and thunder last night...

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 22, 2009
11:07 AM

Post #7090998

Good morning,
Home from KY RU.
2000 miles of driving up & down hills, around curves & over big rivers.
Had a great time with all the DG friends that attended.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1038443/
Back to reality. Gardens keep on producing, market awaits. House project gets underway tomorrow. Cabinets are needing to be finished & installed.
Bernie
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2009
12:50 PM

Post #7091228

Good Morning! I'm staying home from work today. I lost my balance yesterday on the steps to the back porch, slid and pulled my achilles tendor on my right leg. I kept it iced and elevated, but it sure does hurt. It's swollen and bruised, but not torn. I'm having a hard time walking so, oh darn I can't go to work today, but I can't do anything else.

78.3 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 73 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.06 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 81 F
Visibility: 6.0 miles

Today
Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and afternoon thunderstorms. Patchy fog early in the morning. Highs in the upper 80s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Powder Puff getting ready to pop!

Thumbnail by MySharona

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 22, 2009
1:29 PM

Post #7091370

We have had a beautiful September. Normal 1st frost is Sept 15 and although there was a light frost on the roofs, none of the plants were affected. Our temps have been above normal - almost like were are getting August weather. After today the days will be shorter. A month from now we will be just over 10 hours of daylight.

Forecast today: 28C / 82F
tomorrow: 33C / 91F

The garden has been beautiful all summer.

This message was edited Sep 22, 2009 6:30 AM

Thumbnail by joannabanana

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #7091638

Got a squall line last night, nickle sized hail, wind 60+mph, it was red on the radar but it started to weaken and slow down just before it got to my house, thank goodness! I sent a text to Dave to tell him to keep an eye on the weather, looked like it was going to be here at 11:00pm which is when he gets off work and I don't want him driving 35 minutes down the interstate in it. It didn't get to the house and Little Rock til after midnight so that was good. I got myself all wound up, was watching the weather and they were showing air flow and lightning and there were rotation whirlybirds way north of me, but I got myself all worked up and scared, so I didn't get to sleep until 1am. That's two nights in a row, was lazy daisy on Sunday and stayed in bed til after noon so of course wasn't tired til 1am, last night was all paranoid. Tonight is going to be an early night! LOL

Here's what we have at 9:55am:

71.8 F
Overcast
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 68 F
Wind: 1.3 mph from the West
Wind Gust: 1.3 mph
Pressure: 29.97 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 71 F
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds:
Scattered Clouds 800 ft
Overcast 1300 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Scattered thunderstorms are in the forecast all week.

Have a great day!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #7091771

Hello, Rann!!! Are you having a good day? Are those crocuses?

How did Rusty do with the thunder this time?

Sharon!!! You be more careful. Speedy recovery.

Joanna, good to hear from you again. Have you been doing well this summer? You gardens are beautiful.

Crissy! LOL I know how you get with bad weather. I feel bad for you. I laugh but you know I luv ya!

56.0 F with 70 for the high. I was actually cold in the house yesterday.
Clear
Humidity: 42%
Dew Point: 33 F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 1.0 mph
Pressure: 30.35 in (Falling)
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Fuzzy pic of Isis.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 22, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #7091886

Ric: good idea on the solar lights--I have 8 of them along my garden path so I will have to bring
them inside if we are out of electricity at night. One of the pups from the Big Dipper you sent me is now on its way to Celia :o))
Pepper: glad you got the dust washed off the truck--LOL
Rusty: have you started painting your bedroom yet?
Rann: lovely flowers--is that a recent photo--our crocus and other bulbs bloom in the spring.
Bernie: welcome back! I'll check out your link to the KY RU when I finish here.
Sharon: so sorry about your injury--hope you are feeling better soon
Joanna: beautiful garden you have there!
Crissy:; we didn't get those high winds like you did--just what appeared to be a rain shower--I slept right through it!

Currently sunny or rather, partly sunny with clouds floating around here and there and according to the thermometer on my back porch it is 78F

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 22, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #7092253

Sharon, you must be more careful! Hurry & get better.

Joanna, keep that cool weather up there, we don't need frost yet. I did go order fuel oil for the greenhouses this morning. Old Jack Frost will be along shortly, I'm afraid.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2009
6:13 PM

Post #7092387

LOL Celia! I laugh at myself!

One of my texts to Dave was, "I'm all nervous, wound up, and pacing! I HATE this, it's ridiculous and stupid! Wish I could just get over it already LOL"

I'm absolutely fine with thunderstorms, even if they're severe, but the minute I see those whirlybirds or worse yet a tornado warning somewhere in the weather report, I don't care where they are, how far away they are, or even if they're heading in the opposite direction, it freaks me out so bad I almost throw up. I don't know what to do, and every time I swear I'm not going to get all worked up about it, then I do. I can handle the thunderstorms but not even the thought of tornadoes.

Marilyn I never thought of bringing those solar lights in! I have 7 out there (one had an ant nest in it and it died.) Duh here I am lighting candles and carrying around flash lights, we didn't lose power but normally we do...

Ouch Sharon, I've done that and it Hurts!

Dave got home at 11:25pm. We were watching radar (you know the little one in the bottom corner of the TV screen.) and I was a basket case so was doing other things to keep my mind off of it, and he went outside for a cigarette. I went out a few minutes later and was watching the lightning from afar, now that doesn't bother me a bit. Suddenly we got a gust of wind, we didn't even have a stint of a breeze before that. Then another stronger gust, then a big gust that sounded sort of like a freight train but it was far from tornadic and I didn't even notice the sound of it until he said, "There's the freight train!" That made me ill and I had to go back in, and it was far from tornadic, in fact it wasn't severe or strong anymore, it was just a thunderstorm!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 22, 2009
8:52 PM

Post #7092927

Good News on the Dipper.
I hope they come back for you. They are supposed to be hardy here so...

We're dying up here 85!
I think it's hotter today than on July 4th!

I got wasp stung this morning.
Little sucker nailed me right on the ankle.
I hit it w/ ice in seconds and a vinegar soaked gauze and it was fine in about 15 minutes.
Wasp stings are alkali so the acid in vinegar or lemon juice help neutralize it.
Bee stings are acid so use baking powder or bicarb paste on them.
To work though you really have to get it deep in the sting site.

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 22, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #7093246

I never knew that about the wasp stings/alkali and the bee stings/acid. No wonder the baking soda didn't work on the wasp sting!

Bernie: those were some really good photos of the KYRU--looks like you folks had a really great time. DGers love having a good time, not to mention enjoying good food together!

This message was edited Sep 22, 2009 5:42 PM
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2009
11:09 PM

Post #7093410

Grey & overcast with intermittent rain.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2009
11:25 PM

Post #7093475

Beautiful day here today, cool, but dry and just about calm. High around 48F. Dug down 10 potted roses and moved a few that were planted in the ground. My back is aching but having accomplished this much in one day is a pretty good feeling :-) All in all a pretty good day. It started raining again this evening ... rain showers tomorrow, then heavy rain on Thursday and Friday according to the forecast... since I have to prepare for a birthday party this weekend I'm not too upset about it. But I wouldn't mind a few days like today next week! lol

Ric - interesting about the wasp sting ... hope it's something I won't have to use, but in case I do it's good to know! lol Why the specific time for Fall's arrival? Somehow 85F and Fall just don't go together in my mind! lol If it's above 50F it's still summer in my books ;-)

Crissy - glad the storm was harmless. When I lived in Florida many years ago, tornados scared me to death ... I still occationally have a tornado nightmare ...

Celia - Hi! :-)

Sharon - sorry about your ankle injury. Hope it heals soon! :-)

The flowers in my photo from this morning are Colchicums, they're autumn flowering bulbs that are in flower right now. Here's a close-up

Have a good night!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

September 22, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #7093486

Well, I didn't finish the paint cause I has to clean out and get out of my way... I have to remove the old carpet out first but move the antique dressers and old china storage box...
It pretty heavy to move it so I have to wait for my step-son will help me to move it... Then I might paint this weekend so right now, I'm in bad shape of my pelvis & hips hurting that cold weather came out...

Rusty is clam that I gave some calm down pill so it work...

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #7093528

Pretty chilly today. Thick cloud cover and we never left the 60s. I think we stuck in the low 60s because it felt cold to me even just a little while ago!! lol.

I had to throw out 2 houseplants today. One was over 20 years old. My mom got it when her mom died in the early 80s. The other one was my pitcher plant and I think it bit the dust cause I kept forgetting to repot it. I'm gonna try to get a Venus fly trap instead to replace the pitcher plant and a shell ginger for the other one. I have a RU next week so will just see what people bring. :~)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 23, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #7093887

[quote]High around 48F[/quote]
No comprende ;-)

We were visiting my folks in PA and just got home about an hour ago. It is really hot and stuffy in the house.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 5:51 PM PDT on September 22, 2009
100 F
Clear
Humidity: 4%
Dew Point: 4 F
Wind: 13 mph from the NNE
Wind Gust: 20 mph
Pressure: 29.83 in (Steady)
(Above Ground Level)

I was sick most of the time we were in PA and I didn't get out much so I don't have a whole lot of pictures, but in this series I'll show you some stuff in my parents' yard.

Chinese forget-me-not

This message was edited Sep 22, 2009 7:20 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 23, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #7093898

pokeberries

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 23, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #7093909

coleus

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 23, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #7093920

monarch butterfly

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 23, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #7093926

dogwood berries

Thumbnail by Kelli

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 23, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #7094032

Rann: sounds like you accomplished a lot this morning!
Rusty: good luck with moving the furniture and getting the carpet out. Sorry your hips are bothering you.
Pepper; sorry about your houseplants, especially the one that was your grandmom's

Welcome back, Kelli! sorry you were sick--hope you are feelng better now. Your folks have some pretty flowers(and butterfly) in their yard!

We actually saw a sunset today! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 23, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #7094041

Rann 5:18 EDT is the point of Autumnal Equinox.
Both day and night lengths are the same.
Basically after Summer Solstice the Sun appears to move further South each day.
At 5:18 PM our time the Sun breaks the equator into the Southern Hemisphere for the first time since the Spring Equinox.
http://www.glyphweb.com/esky/concepts/autumnalequinox.html

Kelli what a great colorful display!

HOT here today!
Still 73 at 10 pm...
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 23, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #7094070

Aww, Kelli - it's no fun being sick on vacation! I hope you are feeling better now. We missed you!

Sharon, ouch!!! I hope you feel better soon, too!

Rann, the Colchicums are gorgeous!!

It rained today!! Yayyy! Actually, it was raining so hard this morning I was worried about getting to church for Bible study. The roads were starting to pond, and I do not have a truck! The bunnies and I made it just fine, though, and by the time we were coming home the rain had let up a little, so the drains were able to keep up. We have a 60% chance of rain tomorrow, and good chances for the rest of the week, too. We had over an inch and a half today and we really needed it!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 8:53pm CDT (7 min ago)
Temperature 70 F 21 C
Dew Point 68 F 20 C
Humidity 93%
Pressure 30.07 in 1018.2 mb
Wind Speed 3 MPH 3 kts
Wind Dir N 10
Ceiling 3200 ft 975 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
Remarks 0.01" of precipitation last hour.
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53pm CDT : 71.1F / 21.7C
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 23, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #7094074

Mau that's Gorgeous!

Oh I got hit w/ stinging nettle earlier in the year.
Use an antihistamine and baking soda mix on that one. The sting is Histamine, serotonin and acetylcholine.
So the histamine hits you and the other two compound the pain affect by hyper stimulating the pain nerves.
BUT do not rub!
Treat it like you brushed up against a prickly pear or opuntia cactus or fiberglass.
There are little poison hairs in the wound site.
I use yellow wood glue, Spread lightly and let dry... then peel off.
It will pull them right out.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2009 9:25 AM
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 23, 2009
2:36 AM

Post #7094206

Cool Mau, you got a picture of that! It was very pretty up the road but I didn't have my camera with me.
Nice plant too!

Wow Henry, if I ever get stung by something I'm going to call you! LOL

I'm exhausted and going to bed. Hope everyone has a peaceful evening and a good night.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 23, 2009
2:48 AM

Post #7094253

I raised bees for a while and we have TONS of wasps.
This is the first time I've been stung this year.
I was at fault. Wrong Place... Wrong Time. Glad it was just one! LOL!

The stinging nettle was a first in about 10 years.
Haven't seen any wasn't looking for it. BTW Jewelweed doesn't work on it. Dock is supposed to.
We raise the Jewelweed just for Poison Ivy. I get it she doesn't.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2009
12:05 PM

Post #7095064

Very pretty sunset, Mau.

Kelli, sorry you were sick. I hate that. I loved the small tour of your parents garden.

Ric, I'm filing all this away for future reference. Thanks!

Crissy, hope you got some good rest.

49.8 F with 76 for the high today.
Clear
Windchill: 50 F
Humidity: 50%
Dew Point: 32 F
Pressure: 30.25 in (Steady)
UV: 0 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 23, 2009
12:23 PM

Post #7095109

Good Morning!

This is crazy. Our forecast high for today is 34C or 93F. I'm glad I held off moving some perennials & roses.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 23, 2009
1:41 PM

Post #7095338

Mau that's a Pretty Sunset!

Celia what cultivar is that?

We got another rain last night.
Just as we were getting out of the HT we got rinsed off... lol!
The bromine in the water is finally clearing up that nasty rash I had on my arms.
It has a drying affect on the skin which stopped it. I actually just rinsed my arms in the tub.
My body is healing it.
I think the leg stuff was/is Dew Poisoning. Humidity and Bacteria/Fungus.
It's slow to heal but getting there.
I stayed out of the HT for 10 days and used Triple Antibiotic, Thermazene and a Topical Steroid Cream as the symptoms changed.

Cloudy here toady. Rain chances have dropped to about 0.
It's 73 and was all night... MAN!
It wasn't this hot at night all Summer.
Tomorrow a cool front moves thru. T-Storms again.
BUT the cold 40's nights they were predicting for next Mon/Tues nights have been raised to the mid/low 50's

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #7095361

Ric, that's Feverfew. I'm not sure which cultivar it is. It came from my SIL in OR.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 23, 2009
2:06 PM

Post #7095436

That's one of our good news bad news plants.
We had on about 10 years ago that exploded w/ blooms every Fall.
Then one year never came back.
Can't seem to get it to start now.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #7095462

Oh dang! I just hope it does okay here. We'll see what happens this winter.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 23, 2009
2:19 PM

Post #7095497

Okay, this is my 3rd time to try to get this post to post--it keeps disappearing. I'm really frustrated with the keyboard performance on my new laptop. I just can't seem to get it to type the letters I want it to type--it keeps dropping letters and I have to go back and insert them!--Takes a lot of time--grrr!

Joanna: 93F is hot for Sept. even down here in the southern US!
Marylyn: so glad you got some badly needed rain and made it to Bible Study,too!
Ric: tell me more about Jewelweed and growing it for poison ivy
Celia: pretty feverfew

Partly cloudy--make that mostly cloudy with 20% chance of rain, increasing to 50% chance tomorrow and Friday :o(( Forecast high of 79F

Joe Pye Weed--bees love it

Thumbnail by marsue

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 23, 2009
2:48 PM

Post #7095600

Morning everyone!!

69.6 F
Overcast
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 66 F
Wind Gust: 1.8 mph
Pressure: 30.05 in (Rising)
Clouds:
Overcast 7500 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Wow that is hot.

LOL I got good rest now I'm more tired than I was to begin with, go figure. I just want all of this work to go away, do itself, or something! Anyone got a magic wand???

Take care of that sting Henry, glad the other stuff is going away, doesn't sound very comfortable.

Have a great day everyone!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 23, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #7095641

Mau here's a link to Sharons Article about Jewelweed.
I can tell you for sure it works.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1076/

And another one

http://www.altnature.com/jewelweed.htm

I didn't think to try it on my rash as I knew it was heat rash.
Hmmmmm...

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 23, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #7096017

A plant that grows out here

Ric, it looks like I missed something major, but I hope you get to feeling better. And you too, Sharon.

They are calling for it to get to 107F today. That might make it the hottest day of year. I'll check in later and let you know how hot it got.

I am so tired, I feel like going back to bed, but I need to water a bunch of stuff and spray for spider mites and DH needs to fix a couple things in my bathroom.

Updated: 8:51 AM PDT on September 23, 2009
77 F
Clear
Humidity: 23%
Dew Point: 36 F
Pressure: 29.94 in (Rising)
UV: 2 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

More PA pictures - This is Old Hannastown. It's a reconstruction of a 1770s settlement. It was burned down by the Indians during the American Revolution. Western PA is really big on its 18th century history. The day we went it was a weekday in the off season so the buildings weren't open but we could walk around the grounds.

This appears to be a house.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 23, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #7096029

fort

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 23, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #7096041

This is the tavern. If I remember correctly, it was also used as the courthouse when a courthouse was needed.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 23, 2009
5:02 PM

Post #7096052

I don't know what this was exactly, maybe a store.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 23, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #7096067

This obviously is not part of the park but it kind of struck my fancy though it looked more moody in real life. There is something kind of gloomy about rural PA Victorian houses. (BTW, my parents live in a run-of-the-mill 1960s tract house. I suppose in 50 years people will think those have character too.)

Of the places where my peeps live, I'd guess that this area looks the most like Arkansas.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2009 10:09 AM

Thumbnail by Kelli

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2009
6:21 PM

Post #7096398

"Western PA is really big on its 18th century history." NC was like that when we went. Lots and lots of battlegrounds and houses from the Civil War. I'll see if I can find my pics and scan them. Love those old buildings.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 23, 2009
6:53 PM

Post #7096540

Kelli that last one at Hannastown is a typical Eastern 1 1/2 story double pen log cabin house.
The structure on the right appears to be missing it's chimney.
Might have been a Summer kitchen, since it's only one story but usually they are seperated from the house w/ a breezeway or 'dogtrot'.
Log cabins are kind of a hobby of mine. I helped restore one back in the 70's.
Great shots of Hannastown!

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 23, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #7096710

Yes, we noticed that the addition didn't have a chimney but did have a fireplace. It's just a reconstruction so I guess they didn't get the chimney built yet. I don't know what a smokehouse would look like, but I don't think they would have had one right up against the main house.

There still are a few original log houses around that people still live in, though not in the Hannastown area. They would be all modernized inside, of course.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 23, 2009
7:53 PM

Post #7096742

The Smokehouse would have been far from the main house.
The upstairs in your pic would probably have been the children's loft.
I'll have to go back and see when they started detaching the Kitchen.

It's a shame there are no real drawings of Hannastown.
Pretty important place in it's day. Glad they attempted to rebuild it.
That courthouse was the first one west of the Allegheny Mts.
I had to go back and check to see why I remebered the name from Revolutionary War History...lol!

Ric
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 23, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #7096879

The south in general is big on the Civil War History, AR has a few battlegrounds (it must not have been big here) but MS, TN, AL, GA, KY, NC, and SC are the states I have been to that have a lot of battlegrounds and history to share. LOL earlier today I was talking to a lady who is originally from WI, and she got all happy saying that since I'm from CA we're both Northerners regarding the Civil War days. I laughed and told her CA is West, not North, and I think during the Civil War CA was still a part of Mexico. She never did get it, just kept saying that we are so much alike being Northerners! Iye yey yey.

I love reading up on the history since I come from an area that has nothing, kind of like 'fireflies' lol! Thanks for the pics Kelli, way cool!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 23, 2009
8:45 PM

Post #7096908

Ric: you are just a veritable goldmine of information--how did you learn all the stuff that you know--from poison ivy and bee sting remedies to Revolutionary War history!!(and I mean that as a compliment--not in a sarcastic way). By the way, that is a wonderful article that your friend Sharon wrote about the Jewelweed.
Kelli: every time you go on vacation you bring back the neatest photos to show us--thanks for the "tour". The topography in Arkansas is very similar to that in your photos--at least in parts of the state. We actually have a varied topography here from flat, delta farmland to the Ozark Mountains to the swamps of southeast Arkansas and a little bit of everything in between--something for everyone! LOL (we actually have alligators in those swamps!)

No rain today but we may get some later. I was able to get outside and pot up several things for our AR RU in October. I've been doing that for a few weeks now and I think I have everything potted up that folks have requested. Whew! Of course, we all keep asking for more plants as the time gets closer--LOL

You all have a good evening!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 23, 2009
9:05 PM

Post #7096977

Crissy, here is a link to the Civil War battles in Arkansas. I have been to the Pea Ridge Battlefield and it is very interesting to see. It is a "drive-through" park that covers a lot of acreage and there are "stations" around where you can stop and listen to details about a particular part of the battle that took place where that station is. There is a very nice Visitor Center there, too. It is sort of eerie to look out over the battlefield and picture the battle that took place there and think about the number of lives that were lost.

http://www.arkansas.com/things-to-do/history-heritage/civil_war/siteid/19/bannerid/10/source/google?gclid=CLOi74zNiJ0CFSFRagodkFiFaw
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 23, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #7096995

I've been on Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga TN, that's eerie standing behind and around all of the canons and what-not they used, then to drive by a cemetery. Wow thanks for the link Mau!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 23, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #7097069

Ric, back when I was a kid, like 35 years ago, we took a field trip to Hannastown. I think the tavern was the only building constructed at that time. They were doing an archelogical dig where I think they have now reconstructed the fort. There doesn't appear to be any archeology going on there now.

Crissy, CA joined the U.S. in 1850 (or thereabouts) and was considered Union territory during the Civil War. I think New Mexico and Arizona - if not offically Confederate territory - were Confederate sympathizers. This place is not all that far from me but I have never been here http://www.drumbarracks.org/Drum%20Barracks%20History.htm

Every place seems to be big on one era of its history and in southern CA, it is mostly all about the Spanish colonial and Mexican era. In western PA, it is mostly all about the French and Indian War, though Hannastown was a few years after that.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 23, 2009
9:39 PM

Post #7097088

How about Modesto, Ca? I'm going to look at the link...
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 23, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #7097308

I don't know anything about Modesto except for the origin of the name. It would have been part of CA in 1850, but I've never been there.

Probably the strangest historical tie-ins I've ever encountered was in southeastern New Mexico. They are really big on their Billy the Kid "heritage".

Maybe a tad bit less hot than they were calling for

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on September 23, 2009
102 F
Clear
Humidity: 5%
Dew Point: 19 F
Wind: 18 mph from the NE
Wind Gust: 33 mph
Pressure: 29.81 in (Falling)
Visibility: 7.0 miles
UV: 4 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

Some more PA - these are at Twin Lakes park

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 23, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #7097311

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 23, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #7097316

some kind of asters

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 23, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #7097318

some kind of smartweed

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 23, 2009
11:15 PM

Post #7097323

wingstem

This message was edited Sep 23, 2009 5:35 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #7097521

Here, Crissy. For your entertainment...

From a real estate site..."An interesting fact about Modesto is that in 1911 contest was run to determine what the city's slogan would be, the original winning slogan was 'Nobody's got Modesto's goat', but the second place entry was the final winner: 'Water Wealth Contentment Health.' "

From the Modesto City site...

"In 1870, when it became generally known where the new town of Modesto was to be located, there was a stampede of businesses, dwellings, furniture and people rapidly moving to the one-mile square railroad town. Modesto became the end of the railroad line November 8, 1870, and it took another two years to construct the tracks as far as Merced. When newcomers got off the train here they saw a community of approximately 25 buildings, either hastily built or moved from other locations when the Central Pacific Railroad announced its selection of the Modesto site. It was a bleak settlement on the plains without trees or vegetation but an abundance of wind-blown sand.By 1910, Modesto's population was estimated at 4,500. City fathers referred to the young community as the "most metropolitan and classy of its size in California." Modesto soon became known as the "Rose City" and the "Garden City" because of its many rose bushes and well-manicured lawns."

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 24, 2009
12:19 AM

Post #7097536

Ric (and anyone else who wants to look at it), here is a very short video that DH made at Hannastown. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS5OVAYAStU

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 24, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #7097918

Our electric is all done. Took most of the day. New yard pole, new service on the pole, new & bigger wire to the house. Bigger transformer out on the line pole. We are all set!

Went to Mankato this afternoon. Menards, (large regional lumber store), had shower stall on sale. I saved $40 by getting it now. Going to do the bathroom this fall.

Footings for house addition will be dug tomorrow. I'm getting excited!

Bernie
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 24, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #7097956

Crissy and Mau would this 'Civil War' you're speaking of be in fact The War of Southern Independence?
Cause living down there you had better learn this term and speak it reverently... LOL!

Seriously Mau I was a dual major in HS and College.
History being one, Biology the other.
My maternal Grandmother's grandfathers in KY fought in the Civil War. Blue.
Their brothers fought for The Grey. As far as I know they never spoke afterwards.
4 of my 4th Great Grandfathers fought in the Revolutionary War. (One a Tory)
So I've read up a lot about both wars doing genealogy.

The plant and chemical responses to stings, bites and rashes are born of necessity.
I've become sensitive to a lot of over the counter stuff. Plus I just love to hear Sharon tell her tales!

Kelli that's a cool tape. Looks like they've done a seriously nice job there.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 24, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #7097961

Hope the weather holds Bernie!
Any date for the pour?

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #7098017

Mostly cloudy and cool.

Tried to go to Independence today and my truck decided to act up. Made it halfway then got off highway, got on other side and went home. It was bucking and not repsonding to gas petal everytime. Couple times I thought it would stall. I'm now not speaking to it. LOL
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 24, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #7098165

Ric I've only been in AR for 2 1/2 years. I spent the first 33 1/2 years of my life in Modesto, CA. Actually, I had forgotten this and had to look at Wikipedia.org to find out, but Modesto was founded in 1870 and was incorporated in 1884. No wonder I don't know anything about the Civil War. Here's the link if anyone is interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modesto,_CA
It just reminded me of part of why I left.

Nice Celia! That whole valley from just south of Redding all the way to Bakersfield was it's own desert before it was populated. There's still a stretch of I-5 that no one has touched and they say they're never going to, it's nothing but sand and sage brush. Yuk. Most of Modesto is full of 2nd and 3rd generation southern transplants. My grandmother was from New Mexico and my grandfather was from Texas. My great-great grandmother (mom's dad's grandmother) was full blood Cherokee Indian and great-great-grandpa was from Oklahoma, so I was recently told. I have the picture if you want to see it.

Nice video Kelli! That is one old house, love the way they built them then with the 'morter' between the logs.

Well Fiddlesticks, it's 10:00 and bedtime.

See ya'll in the am!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 24, 2009
1:37 PM

Post #7099099

65.5 F
Overcast
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 63 F
Wind Gust: 1.3 mph
Pressure: 30.06 in (Rising)
Clouds:
Overcast 7000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Another rainy start to the day today, but it does look like things will get better throughout the day. Temps today will make it into the upper 70's and even a few lower 80's, and the chance of rain will go down. The rain comes back overnight as another system moves through, rain should come to an end tomorrow in the morning. The weekend is looking great with lots of sunshine and temps back in the 80's.

Good Morning Everyone!! Today is the Director's 47th birthday so there won't be a lot of work getting done today I'm sure LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 24, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #7099139

Bernie: I'm excited for you, too, and looking forward to pics of the remodel as it progresses.
Ric: you are a well-educated man. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us! :o))
Kelly: neat video--I enjoy tours of old buildings and thinking what it must have been like to live there. However, I do enjoy all the modern conveniences we have today. I'm just waiting for "them" to come up with a robot that can do all my housework for me! LOL
Pepper: Is your truck acting any better now that you have decided not to speak to it? LOL

We had a light rainshower this morning. Still overcast. Supposed to clear out by the week-end. :o))

Crissy: enjoy the Director's birthday! LOL

This message was edited Sep 24, 2009 8:47 AM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #7099235

59.0 F with 81 for the high. Washer/dryer being delivered today.
Clear
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 38 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the SE
Wind Gust: 10.0 mph
Pressure: 30.12 in (Rising)
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 24, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #7099287

Mau we had two of those robots.
They are often times more trouble than they are worth in the cleaning arena.
They are called Sons...

Rainy here.

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 24, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #7099432

ROFLOL Ric--Sons are not what I had in mind--mine never seemed to learn what picking up after themselves was all about!
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 24, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #7099457

We had a record breaking day yesterday. Highest temp for 2009, highest temp for Sept 23 & highest temp for a fall day. Today it will be 30+C or 86+F

Thumbnail by joannabanana

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 24, 2009
4:10 PM

Post #7099533

Joanna, I think you have our weather! LOL We're not giving yours back yet though - we're really enjoying it! It's only 66 (19 C) here right now! There is a 60% chance of rain, but it hasn't started yet. I have all of the windows open and we're enjoying the fresh air. We usually don't get to open the windows until MUCH later in the fall (it's usually too hot and humid), so this is an unexpected blessing for us. :-) Those are beautiful flowers!

Pepper, I'm sorry about your truck! I hope it starts behaving better soon.

Bernie, I am looking forward to seeing the pictures from your remod. :-)

I want one of those robots, too, Marilyn! Maybe 2 or 3 of them... The bunnies and I would much rather be out playing than cleaning the house. (So how come we make so many messes inside, I ask myself... LOL)

Yayyy, for the new washer and dryer, Celia! :-) New appliances are always exciting for about the first week... then they're "just" the washer and dryer. ^_^

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 9:53am CDT (67 min ago)
Temperature 66 F 19 C
Dew Point 62 F 17 C
Humidity 87%
Pressure 30.11 in 1019.8 mb
Wind Speed 9 MPH 8 kts
Wind Dir N 360
Ceiling 4700 ft 1433 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Light Rain (It must be raining at the airport... it isn't here!)
Remarks Trace precipitation last hour.
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 63.0F / 17.2C
3 hour precipitation ending 9:53am CDT : Trace

Rest of today Cloudy. Rain likely early in the morning, then a chance of rain in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 70s. North winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent early in the morning decreasing to 50 percent in the afternoon.

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 24, 2009
10:25 PM

Post #7100851

The tendon is healing. Im not limping as much, but it sure does hurt if I step wrong. OH well, at least I didnt tear it.

Crissy A tornado would make me sick to my stomach too. I feel for you.
Ric I got stung by a wasp too last weekend. Little buggars were underground. I pulled a weed and got a swarm. Theyre good wasps now!
Bernie - Ienjoyed the RU pics. Looks like you had a great time!
Rann The Colchicums are gorgeous!
Rusty You are always busy with a project like Ric! Have fun!
Kelli LOL! No comprende on the 48* high either! Were double that. I hope youre feeling better.
Mau Thats a beautiful sunset!
Marylyn Congrats on the rain! I know you needed it badly.
Celia Beautiful feverfew bloom!
Kelli I enjoyed your PA trip! What part did you visit?
Crissy - Ive been to Lookout Mountain too!

82.4 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 68%
Dew Point: 68 F
Pressure: 30.01 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 85 F

Rest of Today
Partly cloudy. Chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent.

Got to 88* today, will be in the 90's this weekend. I can't wait (dripping sarcasm). Happy mandevilla!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 24, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #7100857

Rats...the pic didn't take...trying again!

Thumbnail by MySharona

kiska

(Zone 3b)

September 24, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #7101023

Hi~a quick "checking up" on all the goings on~
Here in the Sacramento, Californina area where we are visiting, it's 93*F.
It's 46* at home in Alaska.
The heat here is very difficult to deal with~but worth putting up with in order to see my sister, (SacValley) and other relatives. Today is her birthday and it's a pleasure to be here w/her.
Have a great rest of the week/weekend. We'll be driving on to Bishop, Calif in a few days to see more relatives not seen in years.
Forest fire along the Interstate 5 in Ashland, Oregon a few days ago.

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2009
12:02 AM

Post #7101178

Wish your sister a Happy Birthday from us Kiska! Glad you are enjoying your trip and your visit with family. Sorry about the heat, though! Joanna in Calgary, Canada said her temp was 93F yesterday.
Sharon, glad the ankle is somewhat better. Take care of yourself! Pretty mandevilla--mine bit the dust last year due to mealy bugs!
Joanna, those are some pretty flowers.
Marylyn, our weather is cooler, too--it feels good!

mums blooming

Thumbnail by marsue

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 25, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #7101255

[quote] I enjoyed your PA trip! What part did you visit?[/quote]
Southeast of Pittsburgh, nothing glamourous or exotic

Kiska, when in Bishop, have you ever gone to the bristlecones or Bodie? They're both worth a visit.

Marylyn, any thoughts on them firing Cecil Cooper?

Weather about the same here as yesterday except no wind.

continuation of the Twin Lakes pictures

great lobelia

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 25, 2009
12:15 AM

Post #7101259

caterpillar

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 25, 2009
12:15 AM

Post #7101263

blue-stemmed goldenrod

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 25, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #7101265

last one

Thumbnail by Kelli

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #7101295

more good photos, Kelli! That last one really looks like areas around here.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #7101406

Kiska you're probably taking Hwy 99 South, it runs right through Modesto where I spent the first 33 1/2 years of my 36 1/2 year life. Well my birthday is Nov. 3rd so I guess it's coming soon, isn't it? So neat you got to see your sister for her b-day! You're not going to like Bishop heat either, but it's on the other side of the mountains so it might be better, but that's where the desert starts.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 25, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #7101726

Some things we saw on our vacation.
Tugboat at Hannibal, MO. Mississippi River.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2009
2:36 AM

Post #7101733

Hot if in the sun. Temps was in the low 70s. That would normally be cold but since we had a cool summer it's hot. LOL

Truck didn't act up today so I think it was the sensor that controls the gas between my two tanks. I forgot to flip it at a certain time to keep it from doing that so it acted up. The sensor is bad but it's not worth replacing. My dad did that several times on another truck and learned that flipping between tanks at a certain level works best.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 25, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #7101740

Court house, Hannibal, MO.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 25, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #7101745

Old jail building, Hannibal, MO.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 25, 2009
2:41 AM

Post #7101752

Dukes of Hazard Museum, Nashville, TN.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 25, 2009
2:43 AM

Post #7101757

Along about in Southern Illinois. Didn't realize they had oil wells there. We saw about 10 of them. About half were pumping.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 25, 2009
2:44 AM

Post #7101760

Bridge over the Mississippi River at Davenport, IA.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2009
2:46 AM

Post #7101765

the flash flood watch continues for us til 4 AM.

* scattered showers will continue to occur across the tri-state
overnight. while widespread heavy rain is not
anticipated...there is the potential for a few heavier showers
to repeatedly move over the same locations. if this
happens...then flash flooding may occur.

It's been raining for about 36 hours now.
Should end sometime tomorrow evening.

Good news is no rain on Saturday for the RU!

Kelli that's a very pretty place.
Looks like here too!

Bernie I'm surprise you had enough energy left to take pictures! lol!
Thanks for the shots!

Ric
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2009
3:30 AM

Post #7101899

[quote]Marylyn, any thoughts on them firing Cecil Cooper?[/quote]

I have the same thoughts as when the Astros fired Phil Garner 2 years ago - they're firing the wrong guy! He coached as well as anyone could with the players he was given. They really really need to get rid of the general manager. Really.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #7103084

Good Morning Everyone! Nice pics, thanks for sharing!

As of 10:30am:

74.1 F
Clear
Humidity: 72%
Dew Point: 64 F
Pressure: 30.09 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 76 F
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds:
Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
This Afternoon
Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 80s. Northeast winds 5 mph.

Tonight
Partly cloudy in the evening...becoming mostly cloudy. Lows in the upper 50s. Southeast winds 5 mph in the evening... shifting to the southwest after midnight.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2009
3:45 PM

Post #7103111

Thanks for the tour around the world today.

67.6 F with 84 today.
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 35%
Dew Point: 39 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the SE
Wind Gust: 7.0 mph
Pressure: 30.09 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #7103825

Bernie: good photos! did you and your DW go through Nashville, TN to get to the KY RU?!!! Surely not--that would have been way out of your way, Huh?
Celia: nice "whatever it is" LOL
It's been an absolutely gorgeous day here in my part of the country--supposed to be this way all week-end. See Crissy's post for the weather details around here.
Thanks Crissy! You saved me the trouble of copying and pasting! LOL

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 25, 2009
8:24 PM

Post #7103925

Wow, you've been busy here! I've been working second shift and managed to finish an article. I'm having a break until I'm starting a new one!LOL
Sharon, thanks for starting a new thread! Gorgeous blooms!Sorry for hurting your ankle, must have hurt ...get well soon!
Kelly, wonderful pics! Get well soon too!
Ric, how are you? Getting better from the sting?
Kiska, wow, that was some fire...great picture! Happy Belated Birthday for your sister.
Bernie, thanks for the tour. RU pics were great,, thanks.
Mau, great pic of the sunset and mums!
Rann, I also thought those were crocuses!
My asters are blooming more.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 25, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #7103952

Forgot to tell about the weather...it's been warm, 64F, a bit windy, a bit cloudy.
All aster bushes.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #7103958

Adina, those are so great!!!

Mau, those are the empty seedpods of the sweetpea. When they split, it's with a popping noise and they throw the seeds hither and yon! After about a day or so, they curl up like that.

How's that ankle, Sharon?
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2009
9:06 PM

Post #7104063

Beautiful asters, Adina! Are the orange and red flowers gaillardia of some kind?
Celia: thanks for the explanation of the seed pods--very unusual

Ric: look what I discovered a little bit ago:

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2009
9:09 PM

Post #7104072

Another view and note the large leaf on the NOID EE you sent me

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #7104078

This has been absolutely a perfect day weather-wise--the best day we have had in at least the last 3 weeks!

This message was edited Sep 25, 2009 4:13 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 25, 2009
9:19 PM

Post #7104099

Thanks!
Mau, yes, they are gaillardia. Is that a bloom of the EE? They are looking great in your garden!
More asters!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2009
9:46 PM

Post #7104160

Yes, Adina, that yellow "thing" is the bloom on the Big Dipper EE. It is called a "spathe".

This is Medallion with a red salvia in the background.

Thumbnail by marsue

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #7104176

Beautiful flowers everyone! Well I was busy busy today and got a lot done with my conference, just have to print a bunch of stuff and that's it! Woo Hoo!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2009
9:56 PM

Post #7104177

Mau was very generous and sent me these pups form her EEs. They are recovering nicely from their trip!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #7104254

They look like they "weathered" their trip nicely, Celia. You'll probably need to over winter them in your new greenhouse, which I am sure you had planned to do anyway. :o))

Noid blue salvia here

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #7104270

Yes, they did and they will. The hollyhocks in the background didn't make a trip across town nearly as well. Must get them in the ground soon! LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #7104611

Adina those Asters are beautiful!
I envy you all that sun!
The wasp sting was gone within minutes actually.
Still fighting the leg rash though...

Excellent Mau I can tell they are happy!

Celia at this time of year treat the EE's (Big Dipper and Illustris) as house plants.
Water when the soil get just a little dry or they droop.
Probably they will go dormnat. Don't worry about that.

Ric getting ready for the RU...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #7104681

Thanks, Ric. I've been putting them in the GH at night with the door and vent shut. In the morning, they're in the shade on the patio.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #7105013

Cool and mostly sunny today. Rain should be in area tonight and be here til early morning.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #7105154

Work them out into the Sun Celia.
They've been in some tough Sun down in AR.

During the Summer we grow them in water.
The pots just dry out too fast otherwise.
You should get 3 or 4 more leaves by the time winters here.
W/ a full sun warm GH they may just keep growing all winter.
The BD pups like crazy.
I'm hoping to have 'Coffee Cups' pups to gift by next Spring.

Rain finally stopped but will probably be back for the RU then move out by noon or so...

Ric

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #7106069

Oh! So Way Far Behind! I have got to quit doing this!
Hi! Everybody! Long-time-no-'see'! I have Got to quit playing those FB games. (5 gardens, 5 fish tanks & more...) You all are way more important!
Welcome to all of the 'newbies'! :D
The weather hear was pretty much dry until night before last. Then we finally got some rain. Due some more today! And fall is definitely is here. At present it is 57, w/a high projected to be around 60. :)

Drizzle: 57F
Feels like: 57F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 55
Humidity: 94%
Visibility: 1 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 6 mph E
Sunrise: 7:15 AM
Sunset: 7:14 PM
UV Index: 0 Low
We're in flash flood mode today.

JW is at the beach...comin' home today.
Got to go get some river rock for my new aquarium! We've been doing some tests on prototypes...I got things that they were going to throw away! :D

Well, gotta go hunt for rocks before we get that 'downpour'! The sky is gettin' really dark! :-O

'We' had a birthday while I was MIA.

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #7106176

Ric, you said it--the BD's pup like crazy--not only did I send a pup to Celia but I'm potting some up for our RU on Oct 17th. Speaking of RU's--have a great time at your RU today. Take lots of photos to share with us!
Awww, JW is growing up, Joey! He is still just as cute as ever, though. From that photo, it doesn't look as if he is lacking in the toy department, either LOL I had to quit playing those FB games--take up too much time even though they are fun. I usually let my crops die because I forget to get out and work in my farm. Well, that's internet farming for you--LOL--I'd rather be out tending to my real gardens!

Another beautiful day shaping up here in my area. Lots of sunshine and currently in the mid-70's according to the thermometer on my back porch.

Have a good day, everyone!

Thumbnail by marsue

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2009

Post #7106516

Hi Everyone! Been out in my yard today tying up the brugs and pulling weeds ug Celia knows how I feel about pulling weeds. It feels windier than this says it is, it's way humid too. I had to come in and eat and rehydrate.
As of 11:55am:
82.8 F
Clear
Humidity: 64%
Dew Point: 69 F
Wind: 1.1 mph from the SSE
Wind Gust: 3.4 mph
Pressure: 29.96 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 87 F

What a cutie!!
Clouds:
Clear -

Have a great time at your RU Ric!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 26, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #7106608

Interesting pictures, Bernie. That is one (of many) parts of the country I have never seen. When we went to PA, we changed planes in Minneapolis. I was surprised at how large the MS River was there. They were doing some excavating at the airport and it looks like they have good soil there.

Nice asters, Adina. I used to have some but they died out - probably too dry.

JW is as cute as a button!

They're calling for it to be really hot again today.

"A strong upper level high pressure system over the eastern Pacific
will build into the West Coast today... resulting in additional
warming across southwestern California. High temperatures in many
locations in the valleys... in the Antelope Valley... and in the
lower elevations in the mountains will exceed 100 degrees
today... with temperatures possibly approaching 110 degrees in the
hottest locations. During the afternoon hours... heat index values
may approach excessive heat warning levels in the valleys and
mountains... but low relative humidities will likely keep these
values just below critical thresholds."

Some pictures from my yard
Virginia creeper

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 26, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #7106611

mockingbird - no doubt looking for trouble

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 26, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #7106615

one serious leaf

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 26, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #7106623

I got some new fishies yesterday. I will keep them in the house until they get bigger. I have given them the same names as fish of the same type that I used to have, so from left to right they are Snookie-Ookums, Jose, and Boo-Boo.

Thumbnail by Kelli

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2009
6:12 PM

Post #7106726

Oooo Kelli! :D They're so pretty! I'd keep them inside, too. I'm so excited for ya! :D and thanx...I do too. ;) but I'm supposed to.

Well, It's raining 'cats & dogs' here.
.A STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL MOVE EASTWARD THROUGH THE OHIO VALLEY AND INTO THE CENTRAL APPALACHIANS BY TONIGHT. TROPICAL MOISTURE AHEAD OF THIS SYSTEM WILL SPREAD MODERATE TO HEAVY RAIN INTO THE WATCH AREA THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING.
THROUGH THIS EVENING * TOTAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 2 TO 3 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE WATCH AREA. THERE IS ALSO A CHANCE FOR THUNDERSTORMS THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING WITH VERY HEAVY DOWNPOURS.

I didn't get to go get the rocks. :( It had started raining, before I went out the door!

Dyson, I hope you can swim! ;) This watch goes into NC, too...but I'm sure you already know that. :)
Ric, I hope your RU didn't get rained out...hope there is a shelter there to 'party'! :D
Mau, thanks. He has Way more than necessary! ;) And FB was about to kill me...I had to schedule all of my plantings, etc. for when I would be home or just before bed. And absolute killer!

One more of JW

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #7106987

Kelli: more pretty photos! Man, it is hot out there--I guess it will be a while before I send you that amaryllis bulb you wanted--I'll wait until it gets cooler. I had two "shoots" from 18 of those amaryllis seeds you sent me. They were each about an inch high. Friday ate one of them and the other one just keeled over one day last week--Friday probably scared the poor thing to death--so-o-o-o I guess I'll have to try again whenever you collect more seeds.

Joey--how much of that icing did JW get on his face? LOL

Here's a close-up view of the leaf on that noid EE that Ric sent me.

This message was edited Sep 26, 2009 3:06 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 26, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #7107225

Joey, Happy Birthday for our JW! What a big boy!
Mau, was that a moth?
Kelli, wow, what a leaf! Cute fishes too!
I'm working this week-end, but I managed to mow the lawn today.
It was warm again, but very strong wind last night.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 26, 2009
10:09 PM

Post #7107326

Marilyn, I'm just glad that Friday didn't get sick from the amaryllis. I can't imagine that they are very edible.

Weather is the same as yesterday, which was the same as the day before, which was the same as the day before, which was the same as the day before. It's supposed to cool down to something more civilized the middle of next week.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on September 26, 2009
102 F
Clear
Humidity: 13%
Dew Point: 42 F
Wind: 8 mph from the ESE
Pressure: 29.84 in (Falling)
(Above Ground Level)

scrub jay

Thumbnail by Kelli

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2009
10:45 PM

Post #7107396

Adina: that wasn't a moth--a skipper is a type of a small butterfly. Your lawn is really looking nice!
Kelli: the amaryllis was just a tiny sliver no more than an inch tall. I don't know that
Friday actually swallowed it. I think he just got into the dirt in the pot and accidentally dug it up. It wouldnt have taken much--just a slight bump would have dislodged it. I should have put the pot up where he couldn't have gotten into it. :o((
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #7107863

I'm about to quit playing the games on FB too. I'm noticing there are a lot of people dropping out, there's just to much other stuff to do this time of year. I have a feeling the winter will be a different story.

I think our winds got to 10mph gusts today with a 5mph sustained wind, but it died down just as I went outside to mow.

I went to Petco in Hot Springs this afternoon, they had 3 female 2 month old Maine Coon Kittens in a cage they were selling or giving away or something. They all looked like 'rat cats' with their short base fur and long strands sticking out everywhere, exactly the way Tiga looked when she was that age. One of them was all kinds of hyper and her eyes were open so wide it looked like they were going to pop out of her head, and Maine Coons have those Opaque shaped eyes. The sign said they were rescue kittens, the way hyper one had blue eyes and they were all grey/black tabby colored, with the white chin and a M right in the middle of their forehead. I walked out without getting one but boy was it hard. I passed for three reasons, 1. Dave wasn't notified first and that's not fair. 2. I really don't know how Tiga would handle a kitten at her age, I think she would be alright but it might stress her out, and she's too old with too many problems. 3. I really don't want to train another kitten right now. Maine Coons are so extremely easy to train but I just don't have the time. I guess the cons outweighed the pros. Someone was trying to get me to take a free puppy but I don't have a fenced yard, so that's out. And I Know that would stress Tiga out.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #7108012

Well the RU was a big success and I'm editing shots BUT...
The Weather Was Perfect.
Rain stopped just as I got up this morning.
We had some heavy fog but it broke up as we left for the RU.
Sun broke thru right after lunch!
Perfect!

The annual Monarch migration has started.
The appear to love Joyce's place.
At one point 12 were on one bush.
That's more than We've seen all Summer!
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #7108081

Flash!
Every window in the house had light coming in!
BOOM the house shook. And we live in a solid brick house!
This storm is moving fast and very very loud.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #7108143

Strong storms with heavy rains this morning then mostly sunny the rest of the day. High of 68.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2009
1:10 PM

Post #7108894

Good Morning! The rain has finally stopped. I wish I knew how much rain we got...my rain gauge is cracked. :( Ric, we didn't get any T-Boomers, but the rain made up for it! It didn't quit raining until sometime early this morning. Now the sky is rather blue (some clouds) & the sun is shining.

Fog: 61F (not where I'm sitting)
Feels like: 61F
Barometer: 29.8 in
Dewpoint: 59
Humidity: 94%
Visibility: 4 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:16 AM
Sunset: 7:12 PM

Mau, LOL! He had icing everywhere! :D No cake eaten, just icing! :D and he pretty much hit the 'mark'. :) Love your EE! I think that you have 2! green thumbs! :D
Kelli, Glad that things will cool down for ya! 102 is Way too hot! :-O
Adina, Thanks...Your yard looks so inviting! :D You have done a really fine job!
Ric, Glad everything went well for your RU! What kind of really neat things did you swap for? :)

Have a Great Day! :D

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2009
1:48 PM

Post #7108979

That Mum looks like it's just getting ready to explode Joey.
Love that JW shot and the grimace smile!
We don't really do a plant swap on our Fall RU.
That's not to say I didn't brring home a few though...
We're using a Spiderplant theme next year... so we picked up a few cast-offs..
Sue was trying to kill hers or slow it down at least by not watering it... that's what they LOVE! LOL!

Kelli in Thumbnail I thought at first the Jay was standing on snow...lol!
Great shot!

61 here. The Sun was out for a few minutes. Should return here in a few hours.
Then we should see temps in the 70's.

Here's some of Bertie's Koi (she's the one who got us into them).
I put this 'mellow' shot up so you can get an idea of what they look like.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #7108995

Here they were about a minute earlier...
Closing in on 2' long now...

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2009
9:15 PM

Post #7110288

Crissy, you used amazing restraint in not taking home one of those kittens but you had some good reasons for not adopting one.
Wow, Ric that is an amazing shot of the monarchs! Nice photos of the koi, too.
I guess you folks to the east of us are getting the rain we had last week. Since Friday we have had nothing but sunshine. Today it has been somewhat warmer--it is 84F on my back porch right now. Whew. There is a breeze and it is pleasant if you are in the shade and not doing anything but sitting. It is hot enough to make you sweat if you are in the sun and doing anything at all. Right now my son is building a lattice screen to put on the side of my house to hide the a/c compressor and also the gas meter. I'll take a photo of it once he gets it in place. I'm keeping him supplied with plenty of ice water!!

Here's another photo of a bloom from Peach Belle. I have noticed that the most recent blooms have more yellow in the center which is something I have not noticed before.

Joey's birthday is tomorrow so may I be the first on this thread to say, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JOEY!! (tomorrow). :o))

Thumbnail by marsue

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 27, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #7110344

Ric, those monarch are beautiful! Great shot! How do you call that flower? Is it a wild lilac?
Mau, what a wonderful rose!
Crissy, too bad you didn't get any of those kittens!
Joey, what a beautiful mum!HAPPY BIRTHDAY for tomorrow! Have a great day!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 28, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #7111039

Adina that's a Buddleia or Butterfly Bush, also called Summer Lilac.
Those Asters have bloomed out perfectly!

Mau I wonder if all the rain caused the color changes?

Cool and cloudy most of the day.
Then cool and Sunny early this evening.
Rain moving back in for at least tonight.

Here's a link to all the RU Shots.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1042383/

Ric

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2009
10:27 AM

Post #7111830

Good Morning! Thanks for the wishes! :D It sure is Dyson Dark outside! The temp is a cool 52! They're throwing me a party at work...too old to even want one. :) but everyone else seems excited...they didn't even want to know my age! LOL! I guess they just wanted a reason to 'party'. :)

Clear: 52F
Feels like: 52F
Dewpoint: 48
Humidity: 87%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:16 AM
Sunset: 7:11 PM

Ric, those are some great shots! I love those gardens & ponds! Monster Koi! :D Thanks for the link! :D
Adina, Thanks. Love that Color! :D
Mau, Thanks! What a Gorgeous Rose! I have is as my new desk top! :D

Have a Great Day! Everybody! :D

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 28, 2009
1:06 PM

Post #7112093

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Joey!!!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2009
3:09 PM

Post #7112462

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOEY!!

Ric, I'm glad you had a great RU, and the weather! Awesome!

73.4 F
Clear
Humidity: 55%
Dew Point: 56 F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the NNW
Wind Gust: 2.7 mph
Pressure: 30.01 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 77 F
Clouds:
Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Sunny. Highs in the upper 70s. North winds 10 to 15 mph.

Nice but windy, glad I'm inside, I hate wind.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #7112640

Happy Birthday, Joey!!! It's so fun that your co-workers are throwing you a party. ^_^

I got up really early this morning and went walking with a friend of mine before our husband's had to go to work. I'm sooooo sore now! Obviously I really need the exercise! LOL We're going to do this several times a week, which will be very good for both of us (or so I keep telling myself...)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 10:44am CDT (8 min ago)
Temperature 82 F 28 C
Dew Point 75 F 24 C
Humidity 78%
Pressure 30.00 in 1016 mb
Wind Speed 9 MPH 8 kts
Wind Dir WSW 240
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 90 F 32 C
Current Conditions Mostly Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 73.9F / 23.3C

Today Partly cloudy until late afternoon then becoming mostly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. A chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may produce gusty winds in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. West winds around 5 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent in the afternoon.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #7112643

Been busy all weekend and haven't had a chance to catch up yet. We went to a gun show on Sat. and I bought a .22 pistol. The radiator on the old car we took blew all over their parking lot. Poor old thing is dead now. We got it home and I'll be calling the Kidney Foundation to donate the car.

I have the back area of the yard ready to move the arbor and Darrell says the family okayed my request for a rose bush and some irises out of his mom's yard. We'll be making that area a memorial garden for our parents.

68.1 F with 90 for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 27%
Dew Point: 33 F
Wind: 1.0 mph Variable
Wind Gust: 5.0 mph
Pressure: 29.95 in (Falling)
Clouds: Few 14000 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 28, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #7112805

OK maybe it's just me Celia but Radiators don't usually stand up well to 22's...
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #7112823

LOL!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2009

Post #7112927

LOL Ric!! Poor ole Bessie Car!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 28, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #7113067

Happy birthday, Joey!!!

Poor old car. Oh well, at least it isn't as traumatic as losing a pet - at least it wouldn't be for me. As long as a person can afford a new car, it's kind of a relief to get a new and more reliable car. At least that's how it was for me when I got my new car back in the days of yore. (What in the world is "yore" exactly?)

Temperatures should stay in the double digits today. Right now I have the windows open to allow some of that good, humid air in.

Updated: 9:51 AM PDT on September 28, 2009
67 F
Haze
Humidity: 76%
Dew Point: 59 F
Pressure: 29.85 in (Falling)
Visibility: 3.0 miles
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by Kelli

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #7113359

But, Ric! It was only a LITTLE bullet! LOL

"Yore", days past, yesteryear, the before time, the long long ago...

This poor old car used to belong to my mom. She sold it to Darrell when she couldn't drive anymore. It's put up with a lot and will be taken care of. Where's that pistol...I know it's here somewhere...

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #7113369

And...HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JOEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2009
9:25 PM

Post #7113900

Thanks Everybody! LOL! I don't feel a bit older. The party at work was a 'not do'. The girl that was to get the cake, etc. has the 'flu'! Yep, It's going around. I really am glad that I work in the lab by myself! I played w/the fish, started a 'tox-test' on a new product (or should I say a 'modified' one)...a lot of other things, too. This job is more 'play' than anything else. I Love It!

Celia, What wonderful Marigolds! My favorite colors! :D and they self-seed so nicely! :D Sorry about the car!
Kelli, Is that a bud? Love it! :D Glad things are cooling down for ya! and I hope they stay that way. ;)
Ric! LOL! :D Nothing like a 22 to kill a radiator! ;) Thanks for the Brug! :D Gorgeous! Yep, It's that time of year when the Mums are at their best! ;)
Marylyn, You should go walking again tomorrow. I've always tried to do the same thing the next day...works the soreness out. If I didn't do that I would be even more sore the 2nd day. :)
Crissy, Sounds like you & Mau are having some great weather down there. :D We're supposed to be down into the upper 40's by morning! :-O

Well...Chef George has finished his 'masterpiece'! LOL! (oooo don't tell him I laughed! it's the thought that counts, Right?)

Have a Wonderful Evening! ;D

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 28, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #7113993

Joey, it's a fruit.

Decent weather today. We might even get to go hiking this week.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on September 28, 2009
84 F
Haze
Humidity: 43%
Dew Point: 59 F
Wind: 5 mph Variable
Pressure: 29.79 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 84 F
Visibility: 5.0 miles
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

little video of my back yard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shh_3MymjVw

This video is not mine. It is hideously cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeNggIGSKH8&feature=rec-HM-fresh+div

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

September 28, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #7114179

Well, I just finished my paint in my bedroom already then clean up...

Here the pix of my color: Homestead Resort Pumpkin...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 28, 2009
11:03 PM

Post #7114213

Looks and nice and cozy and will look warm in the winter
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 28, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #7114276

Joey: Sorry the party at work was a "no go" hope you had a good day anyway! what is that gorgeous purple flower!?

Celia was correct about "yore" but here's a link for you, Kelli,
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/yore

Ric and Celia--you two are just too, too funny! I have had a couple of vehicles that I would like to have "killed" with a .22, though! Did I ever tell you about the Fiat I had that had a rope tied to the engine in the back and I had to pull on the rope to start the car? No,I didn't tell you about that one? Well, I guess it is a story for another day--ROFLOL!!

Ric, I went over and "visited" your ORVG RU thread. Great photos and nice folks over there!
Gorgeous zinnias, Joey and marigolds, Celia!

This is my son, Jason, shoveling horse manure into my new shade bed. I'm getting it ready for the shade-loving plants that I am getting at our AR RU in October. This is the only spot in my yard that gets shade most of the day.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 28, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #7114291

nice paint job, Rusty! Good work!

I forgot to add the weather: nice day--a little windy but cooler than yesterday and plenty of sunshine. Our low tonight will be down around 50F--which is the lowest we have had this autumn to date. Where's my blanket? LOL

Here is a closer view of my new shade garden--no plants in it yet--just shade! LOL.

This message was edited Sep 28, 2009 6:39 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 28, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #7114318

NICE back yard, Kelli! Thanks for sharing it with us. You have so many plants that it would seem to be a full-time job just to care for all of them! I couldn't get the other link to work.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2009

Post #7114435

Happy birthday Joey! Hope it was a good one :-) It's also Selma's bithday - she's 11 today :-)

It was a beautiful, brisk sunny fall day today, high around 40F.

Have a good night!

Rann
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2009

Post #7114437

It was COLD today!!! Low 50s this morning and mid 60s for a high. Sunny and windy. Very windy. I had mums blown over and had ot water them to hold them in place.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #7114444

Oh I forgot: Happy Birthday Joey!!!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #7114447

Your backyard is beautiful, Kelli! And that tree asp looks like a Muppet! LOL

I love your walls, Rusty!

LOL about the Fiat, Marilyn!

No cake for your party is definitely a much better option than getting the flu, Joey! I hope George's masterpiece comes out well. :-)

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #7114506

That looks good Rusty! Interesting choice for colors, I like it!

Hate it when lightning gets that close. It's always close here, we get the shotgun thunder a lot.

Joey sorry the b-day party didn't happen, but it sounds like you had a good day anyway, and that's all that really matters.

Look at Jason shoveling! Reminds me when I was dating this guy and we were in his back yard, and we started noticing this very strong cat poo smell. He yells out, "Smells like cat dookie! Why does it smell like cat dookie!?" We walked into the yard and the next door neighbors were shoveling cat manure out of their pickup bed. It was hilarious, and smelly. Never heard of anyone using cat manure.

Oh I am so hungry, have a Lean Cuisine Lasagna in the oven, oh and there goes the timer! Woo Hoo!

Real quick, so Dave's trying to lose weight, so he bought a big box of Twinkies on Friday and all but 3 are left. I can't figure that out...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #7114525

Mau, that is one big pile of...!

Belated cake is better than NO cake, I say.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 29, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #7114608

[quote]it would seem to be a full-time job just to care for all of them[/quote]
It would be if we kept things in tip-top condition. Just digging out Bermuda grass would be a full time job. And you should try again to view that other video. It is a caterpillar and the greatest combination of hideous and cute that you'll ever see.

[quote]Never heard of anyone using cat manure.[/quote]
Maybe it was "big cat" poo from the zoo. Doesn't sound like a good idea. I've heard that carnivore poo is not good to put on plants or even to put in the compost pile.

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #7114928

The closest zoo we had in Modesto was an hour away, there's no way that truck could have made it. That family was not all there so who knows, but it was definitely cat poo.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #7115047

Man the smell alone on the cat!
They sell Zoo Poo here...

Kelli here's where you've probably heard Yore before.
Chorus from 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas'

Here we are, as in olden days,
Happy golden days of yore.
Faithful friends who are dear to us
Gather near to us once more.

Loved the yard tour!
And what a strange little 'pillar!
Do you do anything w/ the cactus pears?

Mau they are indeed a great group at the ORVG.
We have a ball everytime we met.
Many of us pal around all year.
Actually many of the group are no longer even in Oh.
2 in TX and one in NC and one in VA...lol!

Cool and windy here today. But mostly sunny so not to bad.
59 now at 10:30... we might break 60 tomorrow.
WAY cooler than Avg.

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 29, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #7115120

Yes, I remember that song. I don't know if that is how the word slipped into popular usage, but it could be.

I don't do anything with the cactus fruits on that prickly pear in the still photo. They have a lot of glocchids. I just think they're pretty. The cactus fruits on the epiphyllum in the video have no spines and they taste really good. (According to the garden writer of our local newspaper, all cactus fruits are nonpoisonous so I'm trying them all unless they have glocchids.) I thought that Pereskia saccharosa would have sweet fruits, but they aren't sweet and are pretty tasteless.

Crissy, I don't know where a person would get a truckload of housecat poo, but if you find out, let us know so that we can stay away from there. ;-)

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 29, 2009
8:19 AM

Post #7115540

Good morning!
I had a bad connection and couldn't go online. I have to catch up with you.
Only have to post the link to my article which appeared today, if someone wants to read it :

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2624/

Adina

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2009
10:20 AM

Post #7115625

Good Morning! :D It's Still Dyson Dark! :D but due to lighten up shortly!
Had a Great day yesterday! Ric, I got some more Mums! I intend to do a bed w/ them this evening/afternoon.
Cat poo? Sounds 'stinky'...Tooo Stinky! LOL!
Clear: 54F
Feels like: 54F
Dewpoint: 37
Humidity: 54%
Wind: 13 mph W
Sunrise: 7:17 AM
Sunset: 7:09 PM

Going to work... Have a great day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2009
1:25 PM

Post #7115993

We had our neighbors over yesterday to see the yard for the first time.
We had them bring their 3 year old daughter over and she feed the fish.
They loved the yard and the little one had a ball!
Mom looked a little concerned about the pond depth.
So we also showed them all the security features to ensure the little'n couldn't get in w/o adults present.
Except out our back door, all entrances to the yard are padlock inside and out.

Very windy here yesterday.
We had some gusts near 40 MPH.
Our cross the street neighbor Adam brought a bucket lift in to clean up his Oak tree.
Took down about 4 limbs and the winds just made it too dangerous to do any more.
He'll try again today.

54 and cloudy. Might hit 65
Off to Lowes's

We did the layout of the Greenhouse on the roof.
Have a design in mind. So we'll start gathering the lumber needed.
For this winter it will be plastic covered.
Next year we'll glaze.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #7116252

Just stay away from the South-West side of Modesto, CA and you'll be fine LOL I don't know where they got it either, but it sure stank. Wonder if it worked at all lol.

So at 8:40am:
58.3 F
Clear
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 51 F
Wind Gust: 1.1 mph
Pressure: 30.11 in (Rising)
Clouds:
Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Ric glad you had a good time with your neighbors, a 3 year old, how cute! I want a greenhouse but I'm going to have to get rid of some trees first before I take that on.

I was on facebook last night and my good friend in CA said she posted pictures on MySpace. I haven't been on myspace in about a year, but I wanted to see so I went over there, logged in, and had a slew of emails, one of them being from my violent ex-boyfriend Scott. The poor guy is Bipolar and Paranoid Schizophrenia and very dangerous, of course I dated him when I was 24, 25, and 26 and I knew he was Bipolar without medication but the Schizophrenia hadn't came out yet. I was always dodging objects, he really liked taking a 6 pack of Pepsi in the cans and spinning them in the air and wherever they land is where they landed. I got good at dodging. Anyway, when I broke up with him and kicked him out of my house he told me he was going to burn my house down with me in it, so I stayed at a co-workers house and ended up dating him for 5 years lol. To make a long story short, my best friend/brotherly type Steve decided that his wife Tara, who was a Psychiatry Major in Jr. College, said that it was me, not Scott, and moved him in with them. Needless to say that 10 year friendship with Steve went down the toilet, and about 6 months later Scott was going to jail for flashing little girls because the voices told him to. Of course Steve tried to apologize without apologizing but it was done, I can't be friends with someone who is going to take sides like that, he knew me better than that.
Scott used to be super skinny always wearing skin tight Wranglers and t-shirts, always looked nice. His picture on myspace shows him in the mountains somewhere, he got fat and is balding, has a camouflage wife beater with khaki's, and prison tattoos, and now he knows where I am. The email had the subject line of "Tiga" and he said, "How are you and Tiga doing?" My picture that shows on my profile is a wedding pic so it's very clear to everyone, and I'm sure he knows I'm in AR now. I think I'm going to run a background check on him to see exactly how much trouble he's been in and if he is a Registered Sex Offender.

This message was edited Sep 29, 2009 8:38 PM

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2009
4:00 PM

Post #7116434

Music, Belated happy birthday! Nice Susan's black eyed blooming! Wish to save the seeds...

Thanks for look at my new color wall!

Well, I just finished clean up for now...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #7116483

73.2 F with 85 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 17%
Dew Point: 26 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the SSE
Wind Gust: 8.0 mph
Pressure: 29.76 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 75 F
Clouds: Few 11000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 13000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 29, 2009
9:06 PM

Post #7117336

Yesterday was sunny and warm, 70. We celebrated 28 years of marriage and had a nice BBQ and ice cream.
I used the self timer to took this picture of me and Cici on the lawn.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 29, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #7117357

And in front of the house...we were playing silly!LOl

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 29, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #7117462

Crissy, you might want to delete your ex-friend's name from your posting. If he happens to do a Google search on his name, he might find it and then see what town you live in.

Great article, Adina!

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on September 29, 2009
74 F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 50%
Dew Point: 54 F
Wind: 7 mph from the ESE
Pressure: 29.89 in (Falling)
Visibility: 9.0 miles
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Few 30000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Not hot today so we went hiking. Not much to show you now. It is our version of the dead of winter.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 29, 2009
9:46 PM

Post #7117468

poison oak - o.k., I'm really scraping the bottom of the barrel now

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 29, 2009
11:04 PM

Post #7117727

and more poison oak

Thumbnail by Kelli

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #7117852

Kelli: that's good advice to Crissy. Crissy, I hope you do delete his name so he can't find where you live.

Happy Anniversary to you and Cici, Adina! Good photos of the two of you.

Kelli, too bad poison oak is such a pretty color in autumn--but it's not pretty enough to entice me to get anywhere near it!

It's been a beautiful day here--I can truly say that autumn is in the air! Lower temps and low humidity--I opened the windows and let the breeze bring in the fresh air. It was great! Tonight's low supposed to be in the low 50's.

My yellow mums are in full bloom--the red and purple ones are a little behind but they'll be blooming soon..

Thumbnail by marsue

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #7117938

Cold - dark - where did summer go? I really need to find a place south of here for the winter months, Someplace where I can feel the sun even in the latter parts of the year.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #7118023

I'm so far behind! I'll do better and set up a new page on Thursday :)

Adina - Congratulations on your anniversary!

We are getting our first taste of Fall then back to normal.

71.6 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 35%
Dew Point: 42 F
Pressure: 29.92 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 77 F
Clouds: Few 13000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Tonight
Cooler. Mostly clear. Low 59. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph. YEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!

Here is Peanut with her BFF Lulu Belle. Aren't they adorable? They love each other :)

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #7118203

Hey, Sharon! How ya been, girl? Those 2 are just too much! LOL

Adina, my apologies. I completely missed about your anniversary! You 2 look so good together.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 30, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #7118289

'Honey Who Shrunk the Dogs?'...

Adina and Cici HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Kelli excuse me if I pass on the Poison Oak... lol!

Cool almost cold here this morning.
We did get some Sun later and the winds have died down.
57 now and we never broke 60 all day.
Should be in the 70's by Thursday.

Went to Lowe's and started getting the lumber for the GH.
One more trip should do it.
Our neighbor loaned us his pole saw and so we took down a few limbs above the Sewing Room.
Should put a lot more light into the sideyard and GH.
Also limbed up the Mimosa tree it was looking a bit lopsided.

Ric

This message was edited Sep 29, 2009 9:45 PM
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #7118490

LOL I took his name off, just for you guys :) He saw what town I lived in on MySpace back in July or whenever he found me. It's so easy to look people up nowadays I'm not worried about it. If he wants to travel 2000 miles to find me, so be it. I work for the Prosecutor Coordinator's Office, I'll be happy to talk to him there in my boss's office with both my boss's in the room, and if he comes to my house he'll be arrested. And I know darn well he's not on DG. I just looked myself up, with my internet speed took about a minute, maybe.

Happy Anniversary Adina. I'm a little late, I'm sorry. I hope you two had the best of days, you make a cute couple!

Cute putter puppies Sharon!! Love them!

Nice mums Mau.

That's a gorgeous rose Celia.

LOL Ric, you are too funny!

Well I haven't started packing yet, so I've got to get to it!!

See ya'll in a few days!

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2009
2:51 AM

Post #7118553

Cold this morning and tonight but the afternoon was perfect. Right now my cats are cold and huddled together. Gonna have to wash their bedding again to get them to sleep in their house again.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2009
3:15 AM

Post #7118631

We have a storm a'brewin' right now. 80% chance of rain very soon.

Thanks, Crissy. I do feel better now. LOL Thanks about the rose, too. What did you find out from the judge's ofc? Anything? Text me, if you want to, tomorrow.

"We don' need no..."

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2009
12:30 PM

Post #7119294

Celia Hi! Ive become a facebook addict. I cant help it. I have a zoo and a farm LOL! Cute badge!
Crissy I need to back up and read your posts. That sounds like a scary situation. Be careful

We are 15* cooler this morning than yesterday! Whooop whoop!!

62.4 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 59%
Dew Point: 47 F
Pressure: 30.01 in(Rising)
Clouds: Few 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

High cloudiness. High 79. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

I saw people with long sleeves onb yesterday. I had to laugh because we were still in the 80's at the time, but the humidity had dropped. Great hair days right now LOL!

E.Hookeri has been quite the show off this Summer. I've had about 30 blooms and there are 3 more buds.

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 30, 2009
12:45 PM

Post #7119337

...frost advisory in effect from 2 am to 9 am edt thursday...

the national weather service in Wilmington has issued a frost
advisory...which is in effect from 2 am to 9 am edt Thursday.

high pressure will settle across the lower great lakes and ohio
valley region tonight. this will allow skies to clear and winds to
become calm. temperatures are forecast to drop into the mid 30s
by sunrise Thursday morning...with some isolated locations dipping
near the freezing mark. these weather conditions will result in
areas of frost overnight into Thursday morning.

We are in the furthest south area of the Advisory so I'm not reallt worried about it.
We still have pretty good leaf canopy and are generally 5 degrees warmer this time of year.

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 30, 2009
12:47 PM

Post #7119346

Sharon: Peanut and Lula Belle are precious and I have no doubt that they are best friends! Friday loves going over to my former DIL's and my 9 yr.old DGS's house--they have two little Schnauzers--"Tootsie and Silvie" . Friday knows when we turn into their subdivison that he is going to visit his two friends and he starts wagging his tail and shaking with excitement. LOL

Celia: great photo of the rose--what's its name? LOL at the badge!

Ric: did I see in one of your posts above that you are putting a GH on your roof? Surely not! Maybe you said you were working on the roof of the GH? I haven't had my 2nd cup of coffee yet this morning--LOL

Crissy: Hope the conference goes well this week!

Cool again this morning but heading for a high near 80F. Rain in the forecast for tomorrow.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 30, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #7119607

Nope you read it right Mau.
We had a hoophouse on the now Sewing Room roof for years.
When we rebuilt the room last year we beefed it up strong enough to take a second story.
That will be the GH.
The entrance will be thru our bedroom this winter.
Next year we'll make it permanant and have an outside entrance also.

Raining here now.Should clear up in a few hours.

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 30, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #7119720

Well, that should be something to see--we will definitely want pictures of your roof-top GH!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #7119856

Mau, that rose is Golden Showers.

Ric, can't wait for pics of the new GH.

Sharon, l love those!!!

40.6 F with 49 for the high. Yea! Rain!
Light Rain with heavy rain later in the day.
Windchill: 41 F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 37 F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the NNW
Wind Gust: 12.0 mph
Pressure: 29.86 in (Rising)
Visibility: 7.0 miles
Clouds: Few 1300 ft
Mostly Cloudy 2200 ft
Overcast 3300 ft
(Above Ground Level)

I was going thru last years pics of fall colors and found the little JM.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 30, 2009
6:41 PM

Post #7120477

Thanks for the wishes guys! Warm 77 here, strong wind in the afternoon blew away the clouds.
Kelli, beautiful fall colors. Thanks for reading my article.
Ric, I had those butterflies in my garden too...though my pics weren't that great!
Mau, how do you get the shape of those mums bushes? They are awesome!
Celia, great pictures of the rose and maple.
Joey, great picture of the Black eyed Susan!
Crissy, I'm with Kelly, get rid of that guy!
Sharon, cute picture! How about this video?

http://www.flixxy.com/dog-loves-cat.htm

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #7120876

Bright sunshine but still cool at 65 F and breezy.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #7121886

Hi! I finally made it back. We're supposed to have a little frost tonight, so I've been hustling to get plants in & covered. Yep, fall is definitely here! It was 60 today & very breezy, so it felt very chilly. Ahh...nothing like wearing hoodies! :D We spent the day at work (oh, I worked on the 'tox-test', too) preparing the Koi outside for the upcoming fall temps. The water temp in the big pond was down to 51, so there will be a change in diet for them.
Mostly Cloudy: 54F
Feels like: 54F
Barometer: 30.1 in
Dewpoint: 43
Humidity: 66%
Wind: 8 mph WNW
Sunrise: 7:18 AM
Sunset: 7:08 PM
TEMPERATURES WILL FALL INTO THE MID 30S IN THE SHELTERED MOUNTAIN VALLEYS TONIGHT. PATCHY AREAS OF FROST CAN BE EXPECTED TOWARD DAWN.

Adina! Happy Anniversary! Great pics! Lovely gardens & lovely couple! :D
Rusty, the picture of the Black-eyed Susan's are from this years state fair. Mine have already gone. :(
Pepper, Thanks! :D It sounds as if we're gonna miss Indian summer & go straight to winter! ('hope not!)
Sharon! That pic of Peanut with her BFF Lulu Belle! Adorable! :D E.Hookeri is really out-doing herself! :D WOW!
Ric, The GH sounds like a nifty idea! Can't wait for you to start so we can see some pics (start to finish)! :D Thanks for the link to the RU! Loved them! Nice Ponds! :D Oh, heck...Nice places! ;)
Mau, You're Mums are Gorgeous! I can't wait until mine start blooming profusely! ;)
Crissy, Glad you have taken precautions...hope your situation is quite uneventful. :)
Kelli! LOL! 'Scraping the bottom of the barrel?" It's still pretty color! :D And isn't it amazing how things can grow in such little places? Neat-O.
Celia, Do you have any pics of the JM this year? They are so pretty. Like they have their own personality. :)

Well, I wish I had Ric's HT so I could warm up! Guess the shower will have to do. :) The air has a hard bite!

Joey

(1 more from the fair)
Have a good nite!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 1, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #7121950

Good to see you back Joey!
Can't use the HT till this stupid rash quits flairing up.
Almost gone now so...

We got a late start on the GH.
Went over and picked up some more wood.
Then discussed the design for a bit.
The Sewing Room roof slopes 1/2"/foot.
We want the top GH to be level so we had to figure that into the design.
But the first wall is framed, straight and level.
The rest will just fall into place.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 1, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #7122007

Still calling for a Frost Advisory for the whole state.
Odd thing is I don't see one for KY. We can see KY from here...lol!

Here's an idea of what it looks like from the ground.
The window will be replaced w/ a door.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #7122091

A perfect day today. It was even decent this morning. A small breeze but nothing like we have had. I did have a customer come up to me today and tell me that Nebraska is getting hit with snow now. She then wondered what our winter is gonna be like. lol. I told her as long as we have a "Fall" we will be ok. lol

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #7123634

Wunderground says it's going to be "Much Warmer" today than yesterday. It was 49 and today wil be...(trumpets, please) 54! What a heat wave.
45.7 F
Scattered Clouds
Windchill: 46 F
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 26 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the East
Wind Gust: 6.0 mph
Pressure: 30.37 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 4500 ft
Scattered Clouds 6000 ft
Scattered Clouds 8000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Yes, I do have pics of the JM from this year. I'll have to find them.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 1, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #7123664

3" of rain as of 11 AM, still raining.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2009
5:03 PM

Post #7123680

It's heading for 91 here... Right now it is 87.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 11:53am CDT (9 min ago)
Temperature 87 F 31 C
Dew Point 75 F 24 C
Humidity 67%
Pressure 29.92 in 1013.2 mb
Wind Speed 12 MPH
G 20 10 kts
G 17
Wind Dir S 180
Ceiling 4500 ft 1372 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 96 F 36 C
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 73.0F / 22.8C

Rest of today Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 90s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy with a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening, then mostly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms likely after midnight. Lows in the lower 70s. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent in the evening increasing to 60 percent after midnight.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 1, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #7123692

I guess I'll be bold and start October

We're here now. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1043949/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America