Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Tansy: Tansy

Communities > Forums > Article: Tansy
bookmark
Forum: Article: TansyReplies: 13, Views: 95
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sharonf1
Lake in the Hills, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2009
6:15 AM

Post #7090737

Delightful reading as always, Sharon. Thanks for sharing this story. My neighbor has this in her backyard and I've admired it over the fence many times. It's nice to learn more about it.

One question: After a season of giving it a try, dDid this plant noticeably deter pests from the deck area?

~Sharon
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2009
6:38 AM

Post #7090766

Hi Sharon,
You are a night owl too, I see.

Yes it does deter pests, absolutely, but it needs to be within 3 or 4 feet of the seating area, I think. Mosquitoes don't bite me, but they do others who visit, unless they are seated near the tansy. I don't use it for anything else, of course.

It is a lovely bloom, though, just don't taste or smell it if the foliage is broken, and those blooms don't smell very good either. I do use it sometimes with other cut flowers, but not for long.

Thanks for writing...and hey, I do like your name!
sharonf1
Lake in the Hills, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2009
6:58 AM

Post #7090804

Thanks, that's nice to know and with this added bit of knowledge I'll probably be planting some close to my patio for next year. I like our name too. Not too many younger Sharons. The ones I meet most often seem to be in our age group.

Take care!
~Sharon

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 22, 2009
9:41 AM

Post #7090932

interesting when I went to Well Sweep Herb Farm they said it was a host plant for lady beetles
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

September 22, 2009
12:08 PM

Post #7091108

This is a plant I don't have in my garden and actually don't remember ever being around when I was growing up. Of course, we had a small suburban plot in the little town where we lived and the plants I do remember my grandmother having were mainly a climbing rose from the old homeplace, some zinnias, pansies (her namesake) Sweet Williams, hyacinths, daffs and tulips, phlox and irises. She always planted morning glories around the clothes line posts, too.

See, Sharon? Even when we don't have a common memory, your articles always take me back to my own childhood and a time when we all lived together in that big old house!

Hugs,

Angie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2009
1:37 PM

Post #7091389

Onewish, it probably is a host plant for some of the good bugs...I only know that it does repel some bad ones. It's like fennel, I like its scent sometimes, but would not grow it except for two things: it is great on baked fish, and it hosts the larva of swallowtail butterflies. Like Aunt Bett said, 'There's always a reason.'
I probably should have researched more before I wrote the article, and I would have found more positive things about it. Too much of a hurry, I suppose.

Glad it stirred up memories for you, Angie...plants do that for me, too. At the KY RU last weekend, I nearly cried when I saw the wild ferns that Postmandug brought...they were straight from my mountains, and the Christmas fern stays green all year round. I don't know its botanical name, I only know I used its fronds to decorate for Christmas. I had not seen one in many years. Now I'll have to research it. Most of the time I remember plants in only the ways they apply to me. Need to dig deeper into the research area.

True about our name, Sharon...not used much these days, but I have some friends my age also named Sharon.

You all have a good day...and Angie, be careful if it's flooding down your way.
Thanks for reading the article.

Sharon
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #7091704

I love the leaf on the tansy you're writing about, but I managed to kill it off before it took over my garden.

Last year I planted this chartreuse-leafed variety, and it seems to be behaving itself so far. I need all the bug-repellants I can grow! It may not be as effective (smelly), but don't think it's as invasive, either.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53291/

Thumbnail by imapigeon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #7092249

Hi Pigeon...
Guess I don't have the heart to kill mine off, but that sure is a pretty color on your foliage.
I might have to look more closely for that one.

Thanks for writing...hope you are enjoying your birthday week!
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

September 23, 2009
2:05 AM

Post #7094080

Yep, I am---thanks! That chartreuse leaf really stands out in the garden---I think you'd enjoy it. I have it planted in front of some (tiny baby) screaming fushia-pink azaleas, and the combination was pretty striking last spring!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #7094152

Wow, it does sound loud!!!
I am going to have to find that chartreuse leafed tansy. On the look out now, thanks.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #7118479

Great article, Sharon,
Very informative, but I don't think you did a very good PR job on behalf of the Tansy!
Charlie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #7118513

Oh well, Charlie...some folks thought I did too well on an 'unnative' invasive.

Thank you!
Beekeepthyme
Georgetown, FL

August 4, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9229393

Driving up to Wisconsin couple years ago, I ran into Tansy everywhere, and collected the seeds. I planted them here in Florida in the cool fall months, but no go. I'm sure, like quite a few plants, tansy does not care for our heat and humidity. Has anyone ever grown tansy in North Florida or southern parts of Georgia? I like the scent, and love the flowers and ferny leaves. Are pollinators attracted to it?
joeyramone
Schenectady, NY

August 18, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9245627

I heard long ago that it's an effective remedy for head lice. Fortunately, I haven't had a chance to find out!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Tansy Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful! NEILMUIR1 2 Sep 22, 2009 1:20 PM
Just send it over here! woofie 15 Oct 3, 2009 2:33 PM
Tuesday LouC 1 Sep 22, 2009 5:29 PM
Always there hello85 3 Sep 23, 2009 3:31 AM
Can't Miss zhinusmom 1 Sep 23, 2009 3:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America