Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: There's a National Grapefruit Month?: grapefruit tree

Communities > Forums > Article: There's a National Grapefruit Month?
bookmark
Forum: Article: There's a National Grapefruit Month?Replies: 1, Views: 11
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
prpliris
Princeton, TX

September 22, 2009
6:43 AM

Post #7090776

Hi
My uncle planted a grapefruit tree from seed and has it in the ground in Shreveport, LA. It took 19 years to flower and produce fruit. I was wondering if you would comment on that. He said he found a sprouted seed in a grapefruit he was eating for breakfast and the tree is probably 8 ft now and looks very healthy. The fruit is baseball size. Would appreciate your thoughts - we think it is very unusual and kinda neat. :) G

Thumbnail by prpliris
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 23, 2009
1:55 PM

Post #7095388

Hi prpliris!
Congrats to your uncle on his special grapefruit tree. That's a fun story!
Please bear in mind that since I've lived in Maryland all my life I've never grown a full size grapefruit , only researched them.
This link
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/homefruit/citrus/citrus.html
(also listed in the article resources) gives a pretty complete guide to growing citrus in Texas. Most of the advice should apply to LA as well. If Shreveport has frost, then thank the fact this tree was seed-grown for its hardiness.
I don't know why it took so long to bloom- that seems like a long time, considering it seems healthy. Unless (guessing here) fruit buds are forming and being damaged by winter frost so they don't survive until spring. If he doesn't see more flowers next spring, he might try forcing some later bloom by using a "bloom" type fertilizer. Hopefully, it has just taken a very long time to mature and there will be more flowers and fruit next year.
Your uncle should try to leave the fruit on into October and be patient, to let it be the best before picking. The link above says that the fruit will stay nice left on the tree so no rush to pick it before it goes bad. It looks great and I agree , that is a special tree! Thanks for sharing the story with us.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: There's a National Grapefruit Month? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Happy Birthday, Sue!! sallyg 0 Feb 6, 2009 1:57 PM
Grapefruit & Cholesterol Meds Potagere 13 Feb 9, 2009 8:01 AM
Nice article Aunt_A 3 Feb 7, 2009 12:55 PM
I really enjoyed your article! Bookerc1 3 Feb 7, 2009 6:58 PM
There's a National Grapefruit Month joy112854 2 Feb 9, 2009 6:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America