Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Tansy: Wonderful!

Communities > Forums > Article: Tansy
bookmark
Forum: Article: TansyReplies: 2, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

September 22, 2009
11:05 AM

Post #7090995

Dear Sharon, my mother has one, and you are right about the smell.
She classifies it as the same as mint "a lovely plant, but with bad manners!"
Regards from England!
Neil.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

September 22, 2009
11:32 AM

Post #7091045

Our children used to put it in their ponies' bridles when they rode on trails. One time when I was in Scotland I ran into a batch of midges. There was some tansy near the path so I picked a piece and stuck it in my hair. It worked in both cases. I'm glad to know that it increases rapidly, as I felt guilty about picking it. I feel better about it now, even though that was a long time ago. Great article.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #7091350

Neil, they do have bad manners, but not bad enough to rid myself of it. My great grandmother died in the early 60's, and I don't know when before that date she had planted the tansy that I took mine from. Her house stayed in my family until about 3 years ago...so my plants came from one that was very very old. I tried to think when I wrote the article, and I know she had moved to the house in 1930. Most of her flowers were planted then. That means the tansy I brought home with me had been growing there for nearly 80 years, because she planted most of her perennials when she first moved in. It was huge, but since the house included many acres, it had a big area in which to spread. Amazing the longevity of plants, isn't it?

Iris, no need to ever worry about tansy. But isn't it a little funny that some of us always worry about picking flowers, fearing we are doing damage? Yet there are others who don't give it a thought. I am the same sometimes about wild ferns and some other plants, like trillium. I might want them, but usually leave them growing where I know they are happy. I am glad they worked for you in both instances...even though they don't have a very good scent, they do scare away the biting bugs. And tansy never dies!

Thanks to both of you for writing, glad you read the articles.
Hope your day is good.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Tansy Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Tansy sharonf1 13 Aug 18, 2012 10:09 AM
Just send it over here! woofie 15 Oct 3, 2009 2:33 PM
Tuesday LouC 1 Sep 22, 2009 5:29 PM
Always there hello85 3 Sep 23, 2009 3:31 AM
Can't Miss zhinusmom 1 Sep 23, 2009 3:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America