Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Tansy: Just send it over here!

Communities > Forums > Article: Tansy
bookmark
Forum: Article: TansyReplies: 15, Views: 126
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #7091507

You can send any tansy you want to get rid of right over here! I found a small plant growing in my yard this year, dug it up and stuck it in a pot. I think it's just lovely and I LIKE the scent. Hope you're right about it being indestructible. And if it will keep bugs away, I want to plant it EVERYWHERE!!!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #7091559

Hi Woofie...and did I say it multiplies like crazy? Well it does, you'll be enjoying it forever!

Good to hear from you! Hope you are enjoying our first day of fall.
Thank you.

leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #7091823

I don't know about repelling fleas, but it does a pretty good job of keeping ants away from the peonies and out of my house if I get it planted near their entrance. The ones who live under the huge crawl space tho are safe from every thing but the insect foggers. If I could throw some seed under there and get it to sprout and grow maybe it would repel those too.

I've read about it being used for a stewing herb and that it was a replacement for black pepper in cooking. Never tried the cooking part as I don't care for black pepper. I have been known to put some branches of it in the bird house. Not sure why at the moment, but I must have read something about it at the time. I do like the strong spicy scent tho. Maybe I should make some tea to spray on my dogs for a flea repellant. Nothing else seems to work.

I've seen it listed with 2 kinds of leaves and I have both of them. Do you know anything about this? One is listed as the standard or regular one and the other as the fern leaf which I think is much more attractive.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write the articles for us. GOD bless and keep you and yours.
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #7092224

Hi Ms. Sharran and others,

Enjoyed your article. I'm originally from Louisville (Lew-a-vull). ;~)
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2009
5:37 PM

Post #7092283

Hi Leaflady,
I have used it in birdhouses, too...keeps ants and other insects out. I don't know much about any of the other species, only the one that grows wild in the mountains. I am thinking of trying some in a huge pot to place on my deck near the door...probably would be too far from the ants to keep them out, but I need to try something to keep them from coming in somewhere near the door. Haven't found exactly where yet.

Thank you so much, the writing of the articles is my pleasure, helps me preserve my own cultural heritage. I am glad you enjoy them.

TC...good to hear from you...yes, I lived in Lou a vull, too...taught there as well, and go back from time to time. I have also enjoyed your articles, bout time for another one, isn't it? Thank you for reading this one.

Y'all have a good day.

Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #7092837

I read somewhere that tansy was used in the olden days to keep flies off of the meat after an animal had been slaughtered for meals.
I've had in in my yard for a few years. Don't remember where I got it from. Anyone is welcome to it, I love it!
Thanks for another great article sweetie! I could almost promise that we are related! :)

Susan
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2009
8:58 PM

Post #7092947

All I have previously known about tansy is that if it is baled up in hay, it will kill cattle. It has no effect on sheep or goats. A neighbor once gave us a whole pickup load of hay that had tansy in it, cut from his field where he was trying to control it. We fed it to our sheep and goats. In southern Oregon, it is a noxious weed, and the government hires people to cut it in the mountains and bring it somewhere to be destroyed. I have ridden through one of these control areas, and have seen whole families gathering the stuff. But of course, they always leave some to go to seed. It's job security!
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2009
10:08 PM

Post #7093183

Yep, tis. ;~P
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2009
11:09 PM

Post #7093404

Mary, I had no idea it was toxic to cattle. What about horses? Will cattle(bovines)eat it alive and green? Is it toxic to them in that form or is it only that toxic when dehydrated so the chemical in it is concentrated?
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #7093436

leaflady, if you go to the Plant ID forum, there are some links to toxic and invasive plants in a sticky that might answer your question. I think most of the links refer to toxicity for pets, but I haven't looked at them all and you might at least find some other links that might be helpful.
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #7094008

Leaflady, I don't know if it is toxic to horses, or if cattle will avoid it when fresh. We don't have it here on the dry side of the state, so it hasn't become an issue. We were living in another part of the state when the neighbor gave us the hay.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #7094165

Susan, oh yeah...I think so too. Thanks.

Mary, I had no idea it was toxic to cattle...usually I write from my own experiences, guess I should have done a lot more research. We did ot have cattle when I was growing up.

Thanks for the information.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

September 28, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #7114242

we raised cattle for years
I raised tansy right across the fence from them in my garden, and so did my neighbor.
It never invaded the hay fields
It could not and never did get a foot hold in the pasture
But eastern United States may be very different from the western United States!?
Maybe it is easier and ideal conditions for tansy to get a foot hold in the pastures there?
What we have to fight in the hayfields here is the tall &*%@# hemlock!
Even then the cattle have to be really hungery and the hay full of the hemlock before a cow will eat it.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #7114926

OK, I added a toxic note on to the tansy article...another friend mentioned it and i used his words. It truly was something I didn't know very much about.

Thank you...for bringing it to my attention.
Y'all have a good evening.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 3, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #7130222

Sharran, thank you for the article. I find the plant interesting and lovely. I've never seen it in the wild or anywhere in Calif. where I'm from, but than again I had not been everywhere. Now living in Somerset, KY and would like to add it to the wild flower garden I am starting. I will start looking for this plant or seeds as I collect flowers for my garden.
Marti
nelsonbrody@yahoo.com
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #7130286

Hi Marti...almost a neighbor over there in another of KY's gorgeous lake areas. I have spent many summers on the beautiful Lake Cumberland.

I'll check my tansy and see if I think the seeds are viable. I cut it back, way back, in August, and it hasn't bloomed yet again, I might not have seeds. But if you keep reminding me, I'll send you a clump next spring, that might work. I have things to do today, but will be in the garden tomorrow afternoon, I'll take a look then and let you know. You haven't had frost yet, have you? A clump might even be ok to plant now.

Thanks for writing, have fun collecting plants and seeds. I hope you are enjoying living in KY.
Sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Tansy Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Tansy sharonf1 13 Aug 18, 2012 10:09 AM
Wonderful! NEILMUIR1 2 Sep 22, 2009 1:20 PM
Tuesday LouC 1 Sep 22, 2009 5:29 PM
Always there hello85 3 Sep 23, 2009 3:31 AM
Can't Miss zhinusmom 1 Sep 23, 2009 3:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America