Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Gardening With Architectural Plants: Excellent!

Communities > Forums > Article: Gardening With Architectural Plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Gardening With Architectural PlantsReplies: 3, Views: 50
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

September 23, 2009
1:37 PM

Post #7095332

I did my Horticultural apprenticeship in the parks department.
As you know some of the older parks have many architectural plants in them, so I have always loved them.
It is funny how the Victorians had a love for putting big Phormiums in. or Yuccas in the most unlikely places.
They also loved Tree ferns and palms, some have got very big in the parks.
Here is a picture I have just taken of my European palm and my Tree fer.
There is another Tree fern behind and you can just see one of its leaves showing.
Kind Regards.
Neil.

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 23, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #7095466

Wow, they're really impressive! Bide A Wee cottage garden near Morpeth has some really impressive tree ferns outdoors.

Here's a link to one of my photos from there.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2073456240055761717jtusuX

Best wishes
Sue

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #7095520

Sue, thanks for an interesting article. Neil, the tree fern is amazing! Makes me wish I was in more forgiving climate; guess I'll have to stick with hostas.
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

September 23, 2009
7:36 PM

Post #7096685

Dear Sue, whilst doing my apprenticeship, one had to do every job, from hard landscaping, soft landscaping, parks, estates, the Civic buildings, greenhouse work, propagation of the bedding, and college.
So after seven years hard work, which I loved; the council made the worst mistake they had ever made, and indeed now deeply regret.
They made us all redundant, not just the people who had or were in training, everyone.
People who had worked in the same park for forty years, it as a sad day.
All that knowledge and experience totally gone.
All the people who had won Chelsea medals, sacked. I had won a Silver at Chelsea for my college, so I left it with the college and refused to give it to the council, for they wanted it as they had paid for me to go to college.
They took on contractors and paid them little money, not that you get much as a gardener anyway, the result was catastrophic and still is.
A total mess everywhere.
I was working in the greenhouses in the last days, and the old foreman was not happy at all.
As I was a good pupil and had learnt a lot, been promoted to a charge-hand, he called me into the hot house! We had lots of different greenhouse of course.
The gardening staff had collected all the plants from the Civic suite and brought them back to the nursery.
So he asked me if their was any plants I wanted, I was shocked, but he was adamant that the contractors would not get his and ours work.
My mother has a conservatory so I got some Lemons. Oranges. Limes.
He grew Tree ferns from the spores, so I got two of them, some Olive trees and a nice Nepenthes,
There were loads of other things he wished me to have like a stags horn fern, Acer's and azaleas, yes we grew them outside as well.
I still have a lot of them, and my mothers citrus trees have never let her down.
I bought a palm as I knew what it was very cheaply down our local market, as the stall owner does not know plants.
So I enclose a picture I took this morning of my Canary Island Date Palm.
Kind Regards.
Neil.
p.s. I have a new camera and I am not quite used to it yet!

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Gardening With Architectural Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gunnera osogardener 1 Sep 29, 2009 4:38 PM
Gunnera plants SallyBee 1 Sep 30, 2009 9:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America