Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Saving Seeds: Why are my watermelon seeds still sticky???

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 3, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #7095773

This is my first year saving seeds for my own seed bank. I have the book Seed To Seed and have followed the directions for washing and saving the seeds. Despite washing them in soapy water, and even putting them between two wet paper towels to hand-wash them, then drying them with a dry paper towel, two days later, they are still sticky. Does anyone know why and how I can get them "dry"?

Thanks for helping me learn!!
:) Glenda
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #7107427

Glenda, you're making it too hard on yourself.

After washing and rinsing just put the seeds on a waxed paper plate or baking sheet or something and let them air dry. Once they are dry, nearly brittle, store them. That's it! Ta-dah! ♫

Shoe
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2009
4:35 AM

Post #7111518

Thanks Shoe! ...I know now that was a green-horn question. I figured it out eventually when my seeds finally dried and turned a lighter shade of brown a couple days later. I would just stir them with my fingers a few times a day and they eventually dried. Thanks for being willing to answer my question.

Hey, while I'm thinking about it, how do you put symbols on your posts???? You have musical notes on your post and I've never seen where or how you get them. Just curious... :)
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2009
11:58 AM

Post #7111961

Here ya go, Glenda. A whole mess of 'em to play around with. I tend to use them sparingly or they seem to lose their emphasis though. ☺

http://usefulshortcuts.com/alt-codes/

And here is a good thread in the TEST Forum you might be interested in:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/782129/

Off to check my garden (see if the local whistle pig is eying my cowpeas yet!)
Shoe

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America