Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Unusual fruit: Pawpaw (Asimina triloba): I planted 3-are they like other Annona?

Communities > Forums > Article: Unusual fruit: Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Unusual fruit: Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)Replies: 6, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
zonkel
Florence, MS
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #7102601

While in Peace Corps Ecuador, South America, I fell in love with the Cherimoya (custard apple) and guanabana (soursop) which tasted like sherbet!

Since pawpaw is also in the family Annonaceae (along with Ylang-Ylang!), I was hoping I would like them. On that hope I planted 3 but they are too young to fruit. I have a feeling I will like them (I like most fruit) but I have never planted a fruit tree without knowing how it tastes before!

Susan (aka Zonkel)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2009
1:14 PM

Post #7102655

I haven't been able to taste one myself, but a lot of people love them! I'll refer you to question #2 on this page of pawpaw info from the Kentucky State U.
http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/faq.htm#q02
which says "They are most commonly described as tasting like banana combined with mango, pineapple, melon, berries, or other fruit. "

And even if you're not crazy about your pawpaw fruit I hope the tree fits nicely in the landscape. Here's a picture of wild young one- that's give others a feel for the "look" of the tree. (big leaves considering that's my size ten shoe)
Good luck with your pawpaws! Thanks for commenting.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

September 28, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #7114338

Over ripe banana. Not rotten, just really really ripe. Have eaten them all my life.
zonkel
Florence, MS
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #7116813

I love ripe banana too- sounds good. Love your username, one of the prettiest botanical names, sweetgum! You have some beautiful woods near your home!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

September 29, 2009
11:54 PM

Post #7117915

Yes the woods are pretty, thick, and about two weeks if the weather does what it should do, it will be even prettier.

My sister-in-law lives in Miss! About an hour from the coast in Forrest County (I think that is the name). Her husband is a forest ranger. She says the persimmons are out of the world there. She says they are so much bigger there and here.

Yes, sweetgum is my favorite tree esp in the fall, you are so clever to know!
When I was in school and they were forcing us to memorize all the botanical names, there was one science teacher in our class who taught the 6th grade. He was frustrated at having to learn them all. He said that he did, however, like Liquidambar and that he planned on naming his first born daughter that, if he was able to get out of that class in one piece!
zonkel
Florence, MS
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #7119997

I'm a forester so I'd better know the names ;-) i probably don't know your sister-in-law's husband, I'm not practicing now, just doing Mom duty. I have a persimmon in my backyard but i prefer the non-astringent asian varieties. I'm going to try to graft some asian varieties to some of the persimmon volunteers that come up in my yard.

But I do have 1 unknown pawpaw and two improved varieties from LSU- can't wait until they fruit!

Susan, aka zonkel
Jackson Mississippi
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

September 30, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #7120047

Susan;
You cannot lose if you get something from LSU. It is like up here, I have never gone wrong with anything that the University of KY suggest! UK confussed with UK!!!

I have been through Jackson lots, my sister-in-law lives close to Jackson -- Hattiesburg is closer.

Mike Lee is his name.

He breeds pine trees.

I have never grafted anything, I studied it this winter and thought maybe I could. I see most grafters use the bud method. Is the success rate better at the bud than just cutting off a little trunk and inserting a ? what do they call the little switch they want to grow?
Benedetta

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Unusual fruit: Pawpaw (Asimina triloba) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I always thought pawpaw = papaya vossner 5 Sep 28, 2009 1:02 PM
Sally Come visit KY! postmandug 4 Sep 29, 2009 3:42 AM
pawpaw irony Loligo 7 Sep 28, 2009 11:30 PM
Pawpaw flowers ndgardens 12 May 30, 2010 7:53 AM
Hardy Paw Paw: Asimina Triloba BertieFox 1 Sep 29, 2009 5:57 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America